Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Walker at 3 months?

My daughter hates her playmat, she screams in her bouncer,  she doesn't like her swing anymore, and she doesn't just like to sit and play with toys.  She actually moves around during tummy time, simulating crawling (so weird) and she's started flipping on her back when she gets frustrated.  I needed to get things done around the house without having to hold her every two seconds, so my mom bought her a walker.

I know you're supposed to use the walker at 6 months, but we started her at just about 3 months.  I will tell you that is the ONLY thing that keeps her quiet.  She really walks around in it and enjoys playing with her toys when they're sitting right in front of her.  The toys on the walker tray are a little out of her reach, so she "chases" the toys by trying to "walk" to get them.

Anyway, is there anything wrong with using the walker so early?  Will it make her bow-legged or cause her problems growing? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Walker at 3 months?

• Well I can't really say too much about walkers since they're illegal in Canada, but what about a more age-appropriate toy such as a Jolly Jumper or one of those things you put the baby in the middle of with toys around the outside - kinda like a walker but it doesnt move.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I didn't think they still made walkers.  I know they weren't recommended when my son was born and still aren't recommended.  You are better off with an exersaucer or a stationary jumperoo.  But I think those typically say at least 4 months old.  It has to do with head control and the strength of their necks I believe. 

They are also a hazard around stairs and other things since she can "walk" to get to things that may not be babyproofed.

Have you thought of wearing her?  I know I wore DS so I could do dishes, laundry and other chores around the house.  He especially loved when I wore him to vacuum.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd be careful that she doesn't skip crawling and go straight to walking. I know a couple whose daughter skipped crawling and is severely bow-legged. Babies legs cannot support their body weight at this point. I know another girl who can't skip because she went straight to walking and now cannot use her left/right simultaneously...No joke.

I agree with PP...Use something like a Baby Bjorn to get chores done, if your baby will have it. Keep doing tummy time where she is learning to crawl before the walker- although I will be the first to say I am no expert! Just a FTM!

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagemkarns:

I'd be careful that she doesn't skip crawling and go straight to walking. I know a couple whose daughter skipped crawling and is severely bow-legged. Babies legs cannot support their body weight at this point. I know another girl who can't skip because she went straight to walking and now cannot use her left/right simultaneously...No joke.

I agree with PP...Use something like a Baby Bjorn to get chores done, if your baby will have it. Keep doing tummy time where she is learning to crawl before the walker- although I will be the first to say I am no expert! Just a FTM!

This is a ridiculous response-- crawling is not even considered a milestone, lots of babies never crawl and go straight to walking and none of them bowlegged because of it.  OP, it's fine.  As long as she is supervised and not in danger of going down any stairs, let her "walk" away.  She's happy, you're happy, it's totally fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemommybrynn:
    imagemkarns:

I'd be careful that she doesn't skip crawling and go straight to walking. I know a couple whose daughter skipped crawling and is severely bow-legged. Babies legs cannot support their body weight at this point. I know another girl who can't skip because she went straight to walking and now cannot use her left/right simultaneously...No joke.

This is a ridiculous response-- crawling is not even considered a milestone, lots of babies never crawl and go straight to walking and none of them bowlegged because of it.  OP, it's fine.  As long as she is supervised and not in danger of going down any stairs, let her "walk" away.  She's happy, you're happy, it's totally fine. 

Thank you.  The whole bow-legged thing astounds me.  My pediatrician recommended we hold DS up supported so he can stand...

• imagemkarns:

• imagekes487:

My daughter hates her playmat, she screams in her bouncer,  she doesn't like her swing anymore, and she doesn't just like to sit and play with toys.  She actually moves around during tummy time, simulating crawling (so weird) and she's started flipping on her back when she gets frustrated.  I needed to get things done around the house without having to hold her every two seconds, so my mom bought her a walker.

I know you're supposed to use the walker at 6 months, but we started her at just about 3 months.  I will tell you that is the ONLY thing that keeps her quiet.  She really walks around in it and enjoys playing with her toys when they're sitting right in front of her.  The toys on the walker tray are a little out of her reach, so she "chases" the toys by trying to "walk" to get them.

Anyway, is there anything wrong with using the walker so early?  Will it make her bow-legged or cause her problems growing? 

My daughter does this during tummy time as well, she hates it and would rather try and crawl or roll over. Strange isnt it?

I had no idea a 3 month old could be in a walker perhaps I need to try that with my daughter because as of now she only likes her car seat or for me to hold her all day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemommybrynn:
    imagemkarns:

But crawling IS really important for brain development. It requires that both the left and right limbs are used simutaneously which requires that the neural pathways that connect the hemispheres of the brain get established. Kids who don't crawl can wind up struggling in school as a result. It is a critical developmental skill and we should all encourage our LOs to do it.
    Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• Walkers are no good. They are illegal in several countries for safety reasons. They can affect the baby's hips in the same way that the Bjorn does. I would imagine that keeping a baby in for only a few minutes a day would not be harmful, but they have to be able to sit unassisted first. 

My daughter's PT says that she often sees babies that have hip problems from walkers. She recommends a stationary jumper or an exersaucer once they can sit unassisted.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"