2nd Trimester

Cord Blood Banking

I'm having trouble finding info on Cord Blood Banking that Ii know to be legit and not twisted to show how perfect it is.

I'm not trying to start a big debate, not sure if this is a hot topic or not. I'm just wondering if anyone doing this? Can you tell me your reasons why or why not?

Re: Cord Blood Banking

• I am donating to a public bank- there's minimal chance someone in your family could use it, and if you ever DID need it there's a decent chance you could get yours back (I did a lot of reading up on it when I was pregnant with DD).  
  • imageMrsC17:
    I am donating to a public bank- there's minimal chance someone in your family could use it, and if you ever DID need it there's a decent chance you could get yours back (I did a lot of reading up on it when I was pregnant with DD).  

this!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Good idea to donate!  Do you have to do anything special, or can you just tell the hospital when you get there. (Sorry if I seem super clueless)
  • I'm donating to a public bank.  The chances of using your own child's cord blood are extremely rare, even when you pay for the service, especially if the source baby is the child in need, and not much more common between siblings either I'm afraid. The big companies you see advertised here and in all the parenting magazines push their anecdotes about cord blood saving lives, and it does, but far more often than not it comes from the public bank and from sources with less genetic risk than your child - even when you've paid thousands of dollars to have your child's cord blood stored.  This statement tends to ignite rage, but in my opinion private cord blood banking is an opportunistic, fear-mongering scam.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagedreambig527:
    Good idea to donate!  Do you have to do anything special, or can you just tell the hospital when you get there. (Sorry if I seem super clueless)

You need to request a collection kit (I did so through my OB, but you can also call public health) and let your OB know your plans ahead of time.  Different states have different laws and regulations regarding collection. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've looked into this and there is no public bank in Canada to donate to. Sucky sucky.
    8/27/10 MC at 14 wks ~ 5/22/11 David was Stillborn at 23 wks Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • we are going to do the cord blood banking. it is pretty expensive so that is something that made us iffy on it. but as a "push" present my aunt is paying for it for us since she sees it as something that is very important for us. We are using the company "StemCyte" it is going to cost $2300 and $125 a year for 17 years. there are many pros, if your child does unfortunately get sick this could be their life saver with aids, cancer, etc. If you can afford it i think it is a good thing to invest in for your child if they ever do become ill
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are banking and using LifeBank USA. They are the only company that banks BOTH the cord blood as well as the placenta. That means you bank more cells for potential future use. This is the best insurance policy that we could invest in for our child's future. The company is also backed by a pharmaceutical company so we know that our future daughter's cells are safe and secure. They are amazingly knowledgeable and extremely friendly and follow up consistently to make sure that we are prepared and that all of our questions have been answered. They are not the most inexpensive option out there, but they do offer payment plans, which can help!
  • Here are the facts.. Cord blood doesn't cure everything and science in the middle if major research on how to use cord blood to cure disease.  By choosing to bank your baby's cord blood you are providing insurance against some possible diseases. Such as cerebral palsy and some cancers. Wil your child get magically better the next day?no, but as the cells regenerate they take the place of the ailing cells. Find a bank that suits your needs. Find the least costly one and the one that doesn't charge a yearly fee. Customer service is. Very important too. Take a look at MAZE cord blood.  Www.mazecordblood.com.  They are reputable and reliable and FDA approved.  

Good luck

Joyce 

joyce@mazelabs.com www.mazecordblood.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"