Pregnant after a Loss

So how bad is the glucose test?

Mine is in a couple of weeks...the one hour. Is that stuff you have to drink nasty? I am worried I might barf it all back up!
Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.

Re: So how bad is the glucose test?

• If you have an option, get the orange one.  It honestly wasn't that bad, but I did have a small headache afterwords.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's not that bad. I tastes like flat orange pop and you have 5 minutes to drink about a cup's worth. The hardest part for me was not eating for 4 hours lol! My advice, don't get McDonald's right after. It wasn't pretty... Tongue Tied
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually liked the Orange drink and I was craving another one a few weeks back. I had no restrictions on eating or drinking prior to the test. I just made sure that I stayed away from sugar that morning. I had eggs and whole wheat toast rather than cereal for breakfast and I skipped my morning soda. Also, drinking it in 5 minutes was a breeze. I got it all down in less than 2 minutes and I was even trying to pace myself. So IMHO, its not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.
  • Not bad at all, I was expecting it to be terrible and it was totally fine.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

• It wasn't bad either time I did it, and I had pretty bad nausea throughout both previous pregnancies.  I had the orange one with DD1 and maybe lime?? with DD2. 
    Lilah Eve---our angel in heaven: Born sleeping 12/2/09 @ 28w3d. We love you and miss you everyday, little angel.
    Isabella Faith---Born 12/17/10 via c-section.
    Abigail Marie---Born 11/16/12 via c-section
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageliesam:
    It's not that bad. I tastes like flat orange pop and you have 5 minutes to drink about a cup's worth. The hardest part for me was not eating for 4 hours lol! My advice, don't get McDonald's right after. It wasn't pretty... Tongue Tied

What do you mean?  If I recall correctly for the 1 hr test, you drink the stuff and they do a blood draw a hour later.  You could eat/drink whatever you wanted before hand and afterward.  At least that is what I remember from doing the test a few years ago when I was expecting DS. 

The test is no big deal.  Drink a syropy drink, get a blood draw.  Easy, peasy, but the stuff doesn't taste the greatest.  Also, some people advise you against eating carbs/sugar before the test, personally,  I think this is a bad idea.  I think if you were at risk of GD, you would want to know to protect your lo and yourself from unnecessary risk.  If you alter your eating/drinking habits so you can "pass" the test, when realistically you would fail under your normal eating habits, then you are really only fooling yourself and risking your and your babies health by getting a false negative.  There is no shame is having GD, if you are at risk it is better to know that than to fake it and not know.  GD is totally manageable and most of the time it completely resolves after delivery.

• I had the fruit punch and it was very cold, so it wasn't bad.  Sitting in the waiting room to have a blood draw is the least fun part, so make sure you bring something to read.
  • CnAnACnAnA member
    I had to do it a few years ago when they were trying to figure out why my baby factory didn't work.  (unless the pregnancy glucose test is different than the non-pregnant one...)   I had the cola flavored.  Tasted just like flat Coke. LOL  It wasn't the best drink I've ever had, but it wasn't horrifying, either.  The super cold water I chased it with was worse b/c it gave me brain freeze. ;) LOL

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • imagebenoitfan:

imageliesam:
    It's not that bad. I tastes like flat orange pop and you have 5 minutes to drink about a cup's worth. The hardest part for me was not eating for 4 hours lol! My advice, don't get McDonald's right after. It wasn't pretty... Tongue Tied

What do you mean?  If I recall correctly for the 1 hr test, you drink the stuff and they do a blood draw a hour later.  You could eat/drink whatever you wanted before hand and afterward. 

Both my Dr and the lab told me to not eat or drink anything but water for 4 hours before coming in for the test. I know that the glucose test can be done either way, but everyone I know has had to fast before going in.

• I only got the 2 hr -- had to fast 10 hr before :(   the orange drink wasn't as bad as I thought, like a flat orange soda.
  • I had the orange one too. I honestly don't know what the fuss was about.  It tasted like orange koolaide (maybe with a little more sugar added to it).  I asked them how much sugar was in it and they compared it to a can of coke.
  • Not that bad. It tastes like flat soda, but sweeter. I've done the 1 hour twice, 3 hour twice (over two pregnancies) and I didn't mind the drink at all until the last one. All it did though was make me a little nauseas and gave me heartburn.
  • Thanks everyone! I was told I could eat and drink whatever before I went. Thanks so much everyone, I am not nearly as worried about it now.
    Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.
  • I didn't think the drink was that bad.  I had no problems keeping it down and felt fine after.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was very sweet, I would compare it to McDonald's orange drink but a bit sweeter.
  • It's really not that bad.  Mine sucked because I had some sort of 24 hour flu bug when I went so I felt AWFUL and then I had to chug that drink and it was not pleasant.  But that being said, considering the fact that I was sick and still managed to do it without puking shows that it's really not that bad.

My advice is to make sure you are REALLY thirsty when you go.  It made drinking it so much easier.  I was sick and sooooo thirsty, but I didn't let myself drink anything for like an hour and a half before.  I was so thirsty that chugging it was not a problem at all; I was just so happy to have some liquids!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• My drink was fruit punch.  I put it in the freezer about 1/2 hour before hand from it being in the fridge to get it extra cold.  I drank it with a straw because I don't like sugary drinks.  I hate the way it coats in my mouth and leaves a film.  Blech.  I found it to be so sweet that it burned a little going down my throat.  When I had it with DS, I had to concentrate on breathing in the waiting room to not throw up.  This time around I didn't feel nauseaus with drinking it.  I think for me it just depended on the pregnancy, not the drink itself.  I was way more "sickly" with DS's pregnancy then with this one, which falls in line with how I felt about the drink.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • I was so sick that morning, but I survived.  I chose the orange drink.  It tasted like a melted popsicle, but luckily it was ice cold, so that helped.  I basically chugged it in three sets, it was like a mini water bottle size.  And boy did it make baby move!! 

BFP#1 EDD 11/8/11 - MC @ 9w6d, 4/15/11 we said goodbye
    BFP#2 DD arrived 5/7/12
  • kiyackiyac member

The taste is fine, if you like orange Hawaiian Punch.

The problem I really had with it was that when I looked at the bottle, the list of ingredients shocked me. Sodium Benzoate, Red #40, Yellow #5, artificial flavoring... I try at all costs (even pre-pregnancy) to avoid this crap, and yet that's what they give us at the doctor's office? Ridiculous. I would ask if there is an alternative to their little dye/preservative-laden cocktail. I was naive this time, but for the next pregnancy I'll be sure to ask if there is some kind of natural alternative.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"