Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Breastfeeding and biting...

My DS is a little over 10 weeks old. I have been breastfeeding him since he was born. He recently has started clamping down while nursing and twisting and yanking. I immediately unlatch him and tell him "No". I know he doesn't understand "No" yet, but I guess I feel better in saying it. I'm not really sure how to stop him from clamping down and nearly pulling my nipple off. He does it every time he nurses. Any advice on how to handle my little nibbler??

?

?

Re: Breastfeeding and biting...

• How does he react when you take him off? 

I'd take him off right away and leave him off for a while.  My DS started doing that when he first started teething and got the point when he wasn't able to eat when he did it.  I know people that also tap them on the nose or flick their cheeks when they do this but I'm not one of them.   I think it's just a stage that they'll out grow. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • my 5 month old does the same thing, and has since that age.  he's beginning to understand no now, and sometimes i'll even flick his cheek.  i never really knew how to handle it either.  i'd like to see what advice you get too.  the best thing i could do was just to be diligent in paying attention and unlatch him before he could pull me.  man, it kills though!  my nipples feel as bad as they did when i first started nursing! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"