TTC After a Loss

Recovery Time after D&C?

After a D&C, how much time should I plan to take off of work?  I imagine I will be emotional -- but not nearly as much as when I actually experienced the initial loss of the baby.  Is this a procedure where I will feel okay physically to head back to the office the next day?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recovery Time after D&C?

• I had my d&c and on a Monday, felt great Monday afternoon and Tuesday during the day, then Tuesday evening I had worse cramps and bleeding through Thursday. I didn't really feel well enough to get back into everyday stuff until Friday. So I guess that was 4 days including the day of the D&C. I had mine before I had had any bleeding so I'm not sure if it will be different for you because I think you have been through much of that already, right? I would take day of and at least 2 more days off following but maybe be prepared to call in sick for another day.
  • I agree with pp.  I'm not too much help because I'm a teacher and had mine over the summer, so I had the luxery of a long recover.  I had my procedure on Monday and felt okay but groggy and a little sore on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I felt much better by Thursday, but still not sure I would have been able to do a full day's work.  I guess it depends on how active you are at work ... if you can sit most of the day you are probably fine after two days, but if you have to be active I would suggest 3-4.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had mine on a Monday and Tuesday morning I woke up with loads of cramping and feeling like I had done a million situps. I could have gone back to work by Thursday, but I was way too emotional.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had my d&c on late Friday night ( I had taken the pills earlier in the week but they didn't take) and I was back to work on Tuesday - I felt fine by Monday

the physical part was easy compared to the emotional healing ! Good luck to you !

sorry for your loss!

• I had my D&C on a Monday and honestly I could have gone back to work on Tuesday, but I decided to go back on Wednesday. ? While I was emotionally drained a bit, physically I felt fine. I did have some very minor cramping on Tuesday which I took care of with some 600mg Motrin. ?Everyone is different though! ? You'll know when you're ready to go back. ?Good Luck!
  • I had my d&c on a Friday afternoon when I got home I was more groggy than anything but in some pain, emotionally I wasnt too good tho. Sat I had cramps and Sun I felt fine for the most part. They gave me vicodin and a high dose of motrin as well, and I could take whatever one I felt like I needed for the pain.

I went back to work on Mon and I think I pushed myself too hard cause I was up moving all day and ran errands which I shouldnt have done so take it easy the few days after and let DH take good care of you =)

• Except for a weird reaction I had to the anesthesia which made my whole body achy for a couple days, I was fine after my d&c. ?They made me take a pain pill in the recovery room, though I never had any cramps or pain and didn't even fill the prescription for the pain meds they prescribed. ?I'd probably take at least the next day off to see how your body feels just in case, but you should be fine.

Good luck...i hope it goes well for you so you can finally move on!

• I had my d&c on a wednesday and went back to work the following monday.  I was extremely emotional in the days following the d&c, my dr. said probably b/c my hormones were way out of whack, going from my body thinking it was pregnant to suddenly not being pregnant.  I was actually very emotional for several weeks afterward.  Physically even when I went to work that following monday it was hard.  I had having bad cramping and passed some larger clots at work that day.  But after that I felt better physically.  I am still recovering emotionally from the loss of our first baby.  I would say give yourself a few days off to just be able to be at home and do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself.  (((Hugs)))

• Sorry I didn't realize that you lost your baby a few months ago.  Maybe it won't be so bad for you then in terms of the recovery since you have had a little time to heal already.  But even for the physical part, I was glad I had 2 days off work then the weekend b/c my cramping was really bad and it was much easier to just be at home on the couch. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"