Austin Babies

Halloween pet peeve, literally

My goodness, if you are going to hand out candy, you really need to put your dogs in another room or really be sure they aren't going to get out!!!  I really don't care if they are just the size of my cat and they don't bite, or how many times you assure me of that!  Dogs running around my daughter's legs frighten the heck out of her, especially when she isn't prepared!  And hearing you yelling to the dog over her head in a big booming voice makes her think she's in trouble!  I'd really prefer not to bother with the piece or 2 of candy!

Ugh. 

We hit 3 homes in a row with dogs.  2 ran out around us, and the 3rd was LOUDLY barking at us.  Elena was having an absolute BLAST trick-or-treating until she hit those homes, and then she'd nervously approach the remaining ones asking me "do they have a dog Mommy?  HOLD ME MOMMY!" and got terribly shy.  She got a bit better the last couple houses, although not like at the beginning, and hopefully has good memories of it all.  (we hit about a dozen houses in our neighborhood was all).

imageimage
6-yr-old Elena and 4-yr-old Julia.
My Blog! All about my girls and quilting

Re: Halloween pet peeve, literally

• Amen!  That would have bothered me too.
  • I baby my dogs, and they loooooove kids.  I still kept them in the backyard--and we were hanging out in the driveway handing out candy.  I wasn't even taking the chance that they'd get out the front door and scare some poor kid.  So not cool.

• Loading the player...
  • This is the exact reason that, last year, I put a lawn chair on our walkway with a sign that said "Please do not come to the door. Baby is trying to sleep." I just didn't mention that "baby" = pit bull mix. My dogs are not outdoor dogs and I couldn't deal with their barking every time the doorbell rang. The only other option was to crate them for the whole night and I didn't want to do that to them. My dogs just get too excited around kids and want to play with them too badly.

Maybe next year I will put up a warning sign that "the dingoes want to eat your baby".?image

Business Cat. image
  • Man, that sucks.  Poor Elena!

I have another one, turn off your proch light if you are not home/are not handing out candy!  UGH!  I thought everyone knew that rule.  We were at a friend's house and went out in their neighborhood this year.  I swear out of the dozen or so houses we hit 5 had the lights on but no one came to the door.  The older kids were ok with that, but the two 2 year old were so sad.  Sad

• We put our dogs outside, in our bedroom or in the study next to the front door for that very reason! They just get too excited and it's too much going on all at once. I don't know why that isn't common sense for other dog owners. That would have upset me too.
  • This is exactly why Jake was in his crate and we sat in the driveway. He would have gone crazy every time someone came to the door...and his bark sounds pretty scary.
  • My DH gave out candy last night and kept the dogs back away for the door. But one little girl snuck in under DH's candy-bowl filled arms and came into the house to pet the dogs!

Her dad was embarrassed and DH was mortified because it was just such an awkward situation. ?The dogs and the girl had a good time, though.

• imagekimbiebride:

My DH gave out candy last night and kept the dogs back away for the door. But one little girl snuck in under DH's candy-bowl filled arms and came into the house to pet the dogs!

Her dad was embarrassed and DH was mortified because it was just such an awkward situation.  The dogs and the girl had a good time, though.

Abby did that also.  The dog was standing back behaving very well just sitting there watching.  And there goes Abby!  Embarrassed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"