Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Swaddling?

At what age/when do you stop swaddling?

And how do you know when the right time is to stop? 

I know every baby is different, just curious if there are clues to look for.

Our 8 week old DS sleeps in a crib for most naps and at night and we always swaddle him. Today I tried out of curiosity how he would do without the swaddle. His arms went crazy and was wide awake in 10 seconds.

Thanks for your feedback!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Swaddling?

• We stopped around the time our baby could roll over from her back to her tummy, because we didn't think it was safe to swaddle any more.  I think she was around 4 and half months old. 

Stopping swaddling was a nightmare.  We went from having a baby who slept through the night without a peep to having a baby who wouldn't sleep more than ten minutes at a time.  After four or five days, though, she got used to it and became a great sleeper again.

• I've heard that you should try letting them sleep with 1 arm out of the swaddle for a few nights and if they do well with that to try not swaddling. Some kids need it up to 9 months though. 

• Loading the player...
  • We stopped around 4w because DD prefers to have her arms loose.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • We are also dealing with this. Our LO is swaddled and just started rolling from back to front side 2 days ago. So I have tried the one arm out thing for naps today but it hasn't been easy. It will be interesting to see how tonight goes...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD LOVED the swaddle, DS wants nothing to do with it and hasn't from day one.  We don't swaddle for naps or at bedtime with him.  With DD we finally cut the chord with the swaddle at like 4 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally depends on the kid.  We swaddled DS till he was pretty old - like 6 months.  We only swaddled him from the waist down, but he always slept better with it so we kept it going.

I can't remember exactly how we weaned him off of the swaddle - I think every now and then we just tried without it to see how he did.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"