Cloth Diapering

Yeast rashes

I have posted here a few times before, but not often.  I had to change my siggy name---it used to be salk72788---so u might not recognize me now that they took all my points away! grr!! 

Anyways... I have a 10 month old that is battling yeast rash.  For 2 months she had  to be in disposables so we could treat it with antibiotic ointments and other creams.  Well the huge welt like sores went away so we tried putting her back in cloth.  Almost instantly, after one change, she started getting a rash again.  So i took her out of the diapers so it didnt get worse.  I have stripped my diapers with vinegar and then tea tree oil, i am letting them line dry in sun and  i have used flannel liners to get yeast out of diapers. 

Well now she has been back in cloth for 2 weeks.  She was fine at first, but then yesterday developed HUGE welt sores again.  So now she is back in disposables.  I am hoping some of you may have suggestions for helping my diapers or have been through this before.  I love CDs and dont wanna stop using them!!!  TIA!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Yeast rashes

• Go bleach.  Add 1/4 cup in with your clean diapers and rinse like crazy.  It sounds like the other methods have not gotten rid of the yuckies.  You can also use bleach with any fitteds you have (patterns, colors etc).  Start your washer, add the bleach, finish adding  the water, agitate some, then add the diapers.  (This works for a top loader.)
    BabyFetus Ticker Blessed with a girl and boy, number 3 due 5/5/12!
  • Hey

I have been trying to decide between cloth and disposable diapers for my baby due in October.  I was having a conversation with my mom about it and she had said that as a baby she had tried to use cloth diapers with me and no matter what she did I would end up with a rash.  She ended up having to go the disposable route.  That was a long time a go and things have changed but it was suggested to her that it had something to do with the difference in how the two keep moisture.

• Loading the player...
  • I successfully battled yeast while using cloth so it can be done.  Here is what I can tell you:

1)  Use bleach.  They claim tea tree oil does it, but I wanted it dead so bleach it was.
    2) Sun is great, but drying on high also kills it.
    3) Change ALL THE TIME.  Yes cloth feels wetter than DD because it isn't filled with chemicals that pull the moisture away.  Fleece liners will help prevent the wet feeling, but the diaper is still wet.
    4) Nystatin.  Did you have a prescription?   Sounds like you did- use the fleece liners with it (also sounds like you did).  I would run a small wash cycle with a little bit of soap for just the liners.  Then I would add my CDs in and bleach the whole things and then rinse a bazillion times.
    5) Naked booty time!  It helps air the booty out!  Yeast loves moist dark places so don't give it the chance!
    6) Get coconut oil and/or mother love thrush cream for non nystatin changes.  Both are CD safe and fight yeast.  They are also more moisturizing than the nystatin which I found very drying.
    7)  When you think it's gone- keep treating for at least a week to make sure it's REALLY gone.
    8) DON'T GIVE UP! My DD was 2 1/2 months old when she had her yeast rash and is now almost 8 and it has never come back.  GL- I hope more fluffy butts are in your future!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First and foremost - turn up your water heater!  Wash in 130 degree water.  Yeast dies at approx. 122.

Use bleach, or oxygen bleach.  Chlorine bleach is a guarantee, but oxygen bleach is less harmful to your diapers.  That being said, chlorine bleach won't hurt if it's once in a blue moon. 

California baby diaper rash cream is cloth diaper safe, zinc oxide base, and a natural anti-fungal.  

Once you have it battled, you can use a few drops of tea tree EO in your wash as prevention! 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• imageleah0109:
    I successfully battled yeast while using cloth so it can be done.  Here is what I can tell you:

1)  Use bleach.  They claim tea tree oil does it, but I wanted it dead so bleach it was.
    2) Sun is great, but drying on high also kills it.
    3) Change ALL THE TIME.  Yes cloth feels wetter than DD because it isn't filled with chemicals that pull the moisture away.  Fleece liners will help prevent the wet feeling, but the diaper is still wet.
    4) Nystatin.  Did you have a prescription?   Sounds like you did- use the fleece liners with it (also sounds like you did).  I would run a small wash cycle with a little bit of soap for just the liners.  Then I would add my CDs in and bleach the whole things and then rinse a bazillion times.
    5) Naked booty time!  It helps air the booty out!  Yeast loves moist dark places so don't give it the chance!
    6) Get coconut oil and/or mother love thrush cream for non nystatin changes.  Both are CD safe and fight yeast.  They are also more moisturizing than the nystatin which I found very drying.
    7)  When you think it's gone- keep treating for at least a week to make sure it's REALLY gone.
    8) DON'T GIVE UP! My DD was 2 1/2 months old when she had her yeast rash and is now almost 8 and it has never come back.  GL- I hope more fluffy butts are in your future!

Ditto all of this! I also add Grapefruit Seed Extract (any healthfood store) to the hot wash. It's the only thing that helps to kill the spores. If your LO is old enough some probiotics help to restore the natural balance in the body.

Make sure you wash EVERYTHING in bleach, cloth wipes, wetbags, basically anything that comes into contact with the CD's and/or you LO's bottom.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Yeast is a nasty, dirty beotch.

We have been fighting it for over 2 months now, I did all of the above and bleach (no probiotics yet, and next step is boiling these bitches) I was changing her every 2 hours or less

It was gone for about a week and popped back up again today. We are going to bleach again, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract, sun, and get some mother love ointment. She does have a prescription cream and will be going back in disposables. 

I am not frustrated with CDing yet, but I am getting pissed off at having to spend money on disposables. 

• This might sound like a really dumb question, but can you add the bleach to colored and patterned pocket diapers, AIO's etc? Should the bleach be added to every wash cycle? And can you add it at the beginning of the cycle or do you have to add it somewhere in the middle? I'm obviously not Martha Stewart when it comes to laundry! lol

Also, how can you tell the difference between normal diaper rash and a yeast infection? My dd has some redness all around her tush.  We have only been CD part time so far until I can buy more for my stash.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"