Success after IF
Options

tell me your "my baby fell off a couch/bed " story please

this morning I got drop LO off at the sitter and put the car seat on her couch and unstrap him(as I always do). I normally take him out andsay good bye and hand him to her but before I did that today I told her I'd run and grab the stroller for her since it was so nice out,=. When I was coming back in, she got up from the couch to help hold the door open and two seconds later I hear THUMP. LO is face down on her hard wood floors. Talk about panic attack. He cried for a minute then seemed fine but I cried all morning at work and called her every 30 min. He is doing fine, I also called the dr. but they said since he cried right away, isnt vomiting and it was a short fall he should be fine. 

I felt like a terrible mother today, I should have known better then to leave him in the car seat but I thought she was watching him. UGH I was sooooo scared. Anyone else have a story so I dont feel so bad? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tell me your "my baby fell off a couch/bed " story please

• Options

(((hugs))) it happens so fast! When Eliza less than 3mo old, I put her down in the couch in the boppy so I could sit down to nurse her. In the seconds it took me to turn around & sit, she flipped over the boppy & right off the couch. I was sick over it, she was fine!!

It doesn't end as they get older, just yesterday, I ran upstairs to get Lydia & a bunch of other stuff. My hands were full so I tossed a big pack of dipes down the steps, not paying attention. Eliza (2) was sitting on the steps waiting for me & I had no clue!! Dipes smacked her in the back & she fell face first off the 3rd step & onto the hardwood. Big old goose egg. I feel awful. I was terrified she was really hurt. Sometimes we just need to slow down ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Everyone does it!  At least once.

DD was sitting on the boppy on my lap, my legs were crossed to support the boppy as I was nursing.  I tried to scoot  up to adjust my shirt and as I did my lap bounced, and off baby went, onto the floor.  She cried quickly and loudly - and I felt like a terrrrrible mother.

DS was sleeping on MH's chest, 3 days old.  Someone moved - he claims it was LO, I think it was him - either way, LO was on the floor next to the bed with a THUD!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's a right of passage for parents and LO's.  Tongue Tied

Stella fell down our stairs right after she turned one and hit her forehead on the wall really hard.  I felt absolutely horrible!  She had a huge goose egg on her head but it healed fast.  We were ironically on our way to the pedi for Hadley's first check-up.  I sheepishly had to ask our pedi to examine Stella first cause she fell down the stairs minutes before we left for the appt.  She reassured me that it happens to everyone!

Hadley was in our bed a few months ago.  I got up to get ready for work and the room was pitch black.  I was looking for a pillow to block the side of the bed.  Before I could even grab the pillow I heard a loud thud.  She hit the floor and hard!  Our bed is really high up and she didn't realize she was on the edge.  

In most instances I think it scares them more than it hurts.  

Don't worry mama...you are now part of the club!  Big Smile

• Options
    Maybe a month ago (or longer I can't remember!) DS fell off our bed head first.  Taller than a couch.  He cried instantly and I FREAKED OUT!  I called DH and made him come home from work and everything.  Called the dr and they said basically the same thing, no knot he was crying and within 10  min acting fine so they said just to watch him.  He was fine, I on the other hand was not.  Hang in there and please don't feel like a terrible mother.  I posted something similar on here when DS fell and everyone basically said the same thing, it happens to everyone and the kids are ok.  Hugs.
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options
    DS rolled off a bed at 8 months old. We were in the middle of moving, staying in a hotel room, and I was on the phone with the movers. I was probably 3 steps away, but it happened so fast I couldn't catch him. He was fine--I was hysterical. They are much more resilient than we think. You're not a bad mom. I think every mother I know has a similar story. 
    After 7 failed IUIs, IVF w/ ICSI worked!!

I am thankful every day for my miracle after infertility.

And thrilled to be pregnant again after FET!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I promise, it really does happen to almost everyone!  With my younger daughter, she fell out of our stroller.  It was completely my fault...we were going from the park to our home which is right across the street and I forgot to strap her in (I'm not sure why but, again, totally my fault).  At our building, I popped the wheels of the stroller to get up a step and she slipped out....I felt AWFUL!  She slid out onto the hard steps and of course, our doormen and some people saw.  She was fine...a little fazed by the slip but actually okay.  I was definitely more shaken then her.  Hugs!
    5 IUIs | 4 IVFs | 2 sweet little girls Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've got one!  I think DD was around 6-7 months and I brought her into my bed one morning for some extra cuddle time and I must have fallen asleep.  I wake up to a thump and her on the ground. OMG terrible feeling since I wasn't even awake!  I use my story for any mom who feels bad. You can't be as bad as that!

PS as he learns to crawl and walk he will bonk his head a million more times.  Each new goose egg is slightly easier to handle. 

• Options
    Don't feel badly!  It was an accident.  These things happen.  I'm sure it is scary, though.  I don't have an experience yet with my DS, but when I was infant, I apparently rolled right off the changing table when I was a few months old onto the hardwood floors.  I was ok and have no lasting damage.  Stick out tongue
  • Options

I have several stories.

When DD was 3 months old, the night before our sip and see, I was out shopping and DH was at home with her. He was changing her diaper, and turned to pick up the phone. In that moment, she kicked herself backwards off the changing table, and landed face-first on a pile of rubbermaid containers! She started screaming her head off after a minute of shocked silence. We ended up in the ER because she landed face down and had quite a shiner and a line across her face. 

She also has fallen off the bed twice. Once was when we learned she could climb stairs -- she was playing in our room by herself, and we heard a thunk. She'd climbed the pet stairs and fallen off the bed. The other time it was the middle of the night and she was in bed with us, and flopped herself right off the end.

She also did a face plant down a wooden ramp at daycare.  

imageimage

• Options

(((BIG HUGS)))    We have all been there.   It is AWFUL!    and it really only happens once for you to never make the same mistake again.   

Anna fell off of our bed, may have hit the nightstand on her way down, when she was 3-4 months old.   I thought the guilt was going to kill me.   but she was just fine!    

I had a girlfriend whose son fell off her bed onto hard wood floors - and he actually fractured his skull.   HOWEVER - it was incredibly obvious, as he had a huge swollen and black/blue goose egg on his head.   So if your LO is acting fine and he has no ginormous lumps on his head - I think you are in the clear!

Don't be too hard on yourself!

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MAK06MAK06 member
    I agree with PP, happens to so many of us!  Happened to me just tonight (and before too).  Tonight DS climbed up on couch.  I kept telling him to sit down.  He would but then in the blink of an eye he was up, ran, slipped and went head first onto the carpet.  He was fine but it scared me (and him!!)  Glad your little one is ok!  ((( HUGS )))

IVF #1 = BFP!! So blessed to have our baby boy! IVF #2 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! IVF #3 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! FET #1 = 8/14, Two transferred, One stuck! Praying for another healthy miracle! Due: 5/2/13 imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I almost died in childbirth and spent a week in the hospital before they would let me out.  The day after I got out, I had to check in with my doctor. I had a c-section so lifting was still hard.  I had to take a taxi by myself with ds to get there and I still wasn't feeling great.  The cabbie dropped me off in the middle of the street.  I didnt know how to even open the stroller. I had the stroller in one hand and ds (in his carseat) in the other.  I tried to step up to the curb but tripped and fell.  DS went flying, hit the pavement and started rolling down the sidewalk.  yes, rolling.  I fell flat on my c-section.  I started screaming and people thought I was hurt.  I couldn't even get up and I was screaming because I thought I killed ds.  He couldn't even hold his neck at that point.  A woman grabbed the carseat.  DS didn't even wake up from his nap.  He was totally fine.  I was a total mess.  My check up with the doctor?  It was for my blood pressure.  Needless to say, I couldn't have it checked that day- it was through the roof!  The doctor wanted to give me a valium because I was such a mess thinking I hurt ds.

Not enough for you?  Then I had dd.  When she was 2 months old, I was changing her diaper and had her lying down on our couch's ottoman.  I had my hand on her while I turned to get a diaper.  I still don''t know how she rolled off but she did.  She hit the wood floor nose first.  She cried and had a big bump on her forehead but was also fine.

I'm not having more kids- I can't have another falling kid story without child services making a house call!

These things really do happen to all of us.  My pedi told me "that's why the skull is made hard- so it can take a bump here and there".  Not that any of us want to go through it, but unless you keep them in a padded room, they're going to take a spill here and there.  Just wait until they hit 3 or 4.  My son jumps off of things for fun now- one time he took a header right into a wood fence and ended up with a huge gash!  I guess it's part of childhood- but it definitely stresses parents out!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

Thank you ladies SOOOOO very much. Your stories made me laugh, but also made me feel so relieved. I guess it's just part of motherhood, but scary for sure!

Thanks girls!!!! 

• Options
    Aw hon, I'm so sorry! That must have been scary. I'm certain it was much, much scarier for you than him. Please don't feel badly - we have all made mistakes and will continue to make them! It's just part of being human and you're a great mom. G hasnt fallen off a bed or couch yet but since shes constantly pulling up on the furniture she falls over all. The. Time. I don't worry so much when she's wearing her helmet - its the one perk to that thing! Big (((HUGS))) tomorrow will be a better day.
  • Options

Oh me.  Caroline has fallen so many times, I'm ashamed of it.

She's fallen off our couch, off our bed, off two hotel beds, out of my mom's bed...like I said, she's fallen a lot.

This will make you feel better...she fell out of my husband's lap, onto her head.  She was watching TV and tipped over...and he was asleep.  Awesome, huh??

• Options
    imageJillAly:

I almost died in childbirth and spent a week in the hospital before they would let me out.  The day after I got out, I had to check in with my doctor. I had a c-section so lifting was still hard.  I had to take a taxi by myself with ds to get there and I still wasn't feeling great.  The cabbie dropped me off in the middle of the street.  I didnt know how to even open the stroller. I had the stroller in one hand and ds (in his carseat) in the other.  I tried to step up to the curb but tripped and fell.  DS went flying, hit the pavement and started rolling down the sidewalk.  yes, rolling.  I fell flat on my c-section.  I started screaming and people thought I was hurt.  I couldn't even get up and I was screaming because I thought I killed ds.  He couldn't even hold his neck at that point.  A woman grabbed the carseat.  DS didn't even wake up from his nap.  He was totally fine.  I was a total mess.  My check up with the doctor?  It was for my blood pressure.  Needless to say, I couldn't have it checked that day- it was through the roof!  The doctor wanted to give me a valium because I was such a mess thinking I hurt ds.

Not enough for you?  Then I had dd.  When she was 2 months old, I was changing her diaper and had her lying down on our couch's ottoman.  I had my hand on her while I turned to get a diaper.  I still don''t know how she rolled off but she did.  She hit the wood floor nose first.  She cried and had a big bump on her forehead but was also fine.

I'm not having more kids- I can't have another falling kid story without child services making a house call!

These things really do happen to all of us.  My pedi told me "that's why the skull is made hard- so it can take a bump here and there".  Not that any of us want to go through it, but unless you keep them in a padded room, they're going to take a spill here and there.  Just wait until they hit 3 or 4.  My son jumps off of things for fun now- one time he took a header right into a wood fence and ended up with a huge gash!  I guess it's part of childhood- but it definitely stresses parents out!

You Win for best story! (well, scariest story).  Glad DS was fine. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    DS1 crawled off our bed when he was around a year old.  It happens to a lot of parents.  Things can happen SO fast!  I'm sure he's fine, and you're probably worse for the wear than he is.  Hugs!
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

Guilty here too!

When DS2 was about 7-8 months old, he was sleeping in our bed. DH was out of town and we lived with my mom at the time. He slept in our room because we didn't have enough bedrooms there for him. He normally slept in the PNP, but at that time he started to wake several times a night. I was too tired to deal with it, so I brought him in the bed with me. It was a queen size bed that was "higher" up and we had hardwood floors in the bedroom. Around 3am, I heard a huge thud. He literally rolled off the bed and fell smack face on to the floor :( I was so freaked out and so was he. I learned my lesson that night. Luckily, he was fine, but he had a little goose egg on his forehead.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    pretty much the same story. i was picking cal up from his babysitter when he was about 10 months.  sat him on the couch for a sec while i got his stuff together and BAM, he fell forward face down onto her hardwood floor.  HUGE egg on his forehead, called the on-call dr. and they suggested we go to urgent care.  He checked out fine, but it was very traumatic!  i guess it happens to most of us.  hugs!
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagegoogle123:
    imageJillAly:

You Win for best story! (well, scariest story).  Glad DS was fine. 

I'm not sure that is an honor I want to win!  LOL.  See- we can laugh now about it - even when it's bad at the time.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

When DS was about 5-6 months, I was carrying him in his travel swing (I know you are not supposed to do that, and now I know why).  He decided to try to sit up - leaning forward, the swing moved, and he bonked his head right on the poles that support the swing.  

When he was just learning to sit - about 6 months, I had him sitting on the floor.  He stayed still long enough for me to take a picture, then he was so proud of himself that he flung himself backwards on to our hardwood floors.  He cried, but then was fine, and after that I put his boppy or pillows behind him.   

My DD was older - about 18 months - but we were at the mattress store looking for a bed for DS.  The 2 of them were having the best time, sitting on the beds, lying on them.  Then DD dove head first off of one of the beds - I almost caught her, but missed.  She started screaming, and we ran out of the store.  She was fine.  

And just the other day, my 3yo DS was outside with DH.  DH was letting him ride his big wheels without his helmet.  I ran inside to get the helmet, and in the search for it, DS went flying down our hilly driveway, over the handlebars of his big wheels and landed on his forehead.  He now has a big bump and bruise, but otherwise is fine.  I, on the other hand, yelled at DH and then couldn't sleep that night, and had to keep getting up to check on him.  Neither of my children will ever ride on anything with wheels without a helmet again (DH's excuse was that it was "just a big wheels - not even a real bike."  My answer was that it had wheels and he could fall right off - and he did!) 

They all fall - we do the best we can, and feel terrible when they do, but they are tougher than they look! 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"