July 2011 Moms
Options

mean co-worker vent

So I have a co-worker who is a terrible person. Im serious- she is an elitist, condescending, rude, immature, all around difficult person to work with. I hate her, and Im not the only one. Well, last August, her fiance died from a terrible accident overseas where he was working. I just had LO and heard about it through another co-worker. I genuinely felt bad for her and since then, I have been much nicer to her and have made an effort to get along.

Well, she and I got into a big argument last week over some ridiculous demand she was making and I told her that I needed a few days to cool off before I spoke to her again. We had our follow up conversation on Monday and get this- she tells me not to bring LO to the office anymore b/c it is too much for her, that it makes her bitter that she lost her fiance and opportunity to have children, etc,etc.

I have an arrangement w/ work that I could have LO in the office with me on Fridays b/c my daycare is closed, and it has ALWAYS been a child friendly office. I have a packnplay next to my desk for whenever I need to have him with me.Everyone else has been so supportive. On one hand, the nice person in me understands where she is coming from, but on the other hand, she is such a mean and nasty human being (and she was that way before her fiance died) that I resent that she is making me feel bad for bringing LO in.  I was planning on getting a nanny on Fridays anyway now that LO is bigger and needs more attention that I cant give him when I am at work, but Im still bothered by all this. Should I tell my supervisor (who is her supervisor as well)?  Other colleagues have children and they come into the office periodically, and that doesnt seem to bother her, so I get the feeling it is personal?  What should I do? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: mean co-worker vent

• Options

Ignore her and bring your kid in to work! If she continues to make comments or ask you to not bring him in, then yeah, I would talk to someone about it. Especially if it seems like a personal attack.

If you've been told you can bring him in, then you can bring him in. I feel bad for her too, but you can't switch your life up for her. And she doesn't get to to tell you what to do. Period. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Is she your supervisior? If not, she can't tell you that you can't take him to work with you. She is just being petty. Discuss it with your super. and if they don't have a problem with it, she can suck it. LOL

Sara 7/7/11
    Proof that pull and pray does not work if you are an Atheist.~Bethie
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagestarz57182:

Ignore her and bring your kid in to work! If she continues to make comments or ask you to not bring him in, then yeah, I would talk to someone about it. Especially if it seems like a personal attack.

If you've been told you can bring him in, then you can bring him in. I feel bad for her too, but you can't switch your life up for her. And she doesn't get to to tell you what to do. Period. 

Yes, all of this. And I am sorry you have to work with her.  

• Options
    What everyone else said. Make decisions based on whats best for LO, then you can just tell her 'I am aware of how you feel but I have to do what's best for my baby.'
  • Options

I totally agree, you need to do what's best for YOUR family. I understand where she is coming from but if she wants to isolate herself from friends who are engaged/married, people with babies, people who are happy in general she should just crawl under a rock.

Good luck miss vlanza! I'm jealous your LO gets to go to work with you 1 day a week!! I would love that but would definitely get nothing done.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with the others and I also think that you should talk to your manager. He/she needs to know that his employee is still dealing with an emotional trauma and that it is affecting her work and your work. THAT is important to your manager, not that you are having some arguement about the child (As much as that is important to you and IS important in general).

And your manager should be in the position to support your colleague which in turn should support solving your issue. 

Please do be very self-confident - you are in the right with bringing your little one to work with you in a very wonderufl workplace!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"