Toddlers: 24 Months+

Tantrums..WWYD?

I've noticed within the past week or so, LO has been throwing more and more tantrums at the drop of a hat!  Like this morning, for instance, I had a bowl of cereal (like always) waiting for her on the kitchen table.  She got out a little tupperware bowl and threw a fit when I wouldn't pour milk or cereal into it.  I told her that she already has cereal on the table.

She kept on with the tantrum and in the end, I gave in.  I was too tired and in a hurry to get to work to fight it.  I know I shouldn't let her win.  And that may be what's causing the increased frequency of these tantrums..I just don't know how to handle them!  (FYI, she has had a runny nose the past day so I think she's not quite up to par).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tantrums..WWYD?

• Well, stop giving in!  :)  Trust me- I've given in too, but you have to know when not to.

Last night was a night of a lot of tantrums.  Lately, I often just walk away.  I tell him to come see me when he's done.  The lack of attention seems to sometimes work. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• image EastCoastBride:

Well, stop giving in!  :)  Trust me- I've given in too, but you have to know when not to.

Last night was a night of a lot of tantrums.  Lately, I often just walk away.  I tell him to come see me when he's done.  The lack of attention seems to sometimes work. 

Yup!

There are time when you just cave, but if your LO senses it is a trend, you're in for it! ;) I also recommend just walking away. My DD has a terrible time staying still for a timeout, so when that happens, I tell her, "If you can't behave, mommy is taking a time out from you. I'll come back when you decide to: pick up your ___/stop throwing your ____/stop hitting your ___." 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Eh, for me it's more about identifying a reasonable request and saying yes when asked appropriately. I would have said yes in the first place, because big deal if she eats from a tupperware bowl. It's one more step to pour the cereal from the regular bowl to the tupperware bowl, and one more dish to clean. Not a big deal. I do NOT cave to tantrums, though, so once she started I would have pointed out that there are nice ways to ask and that is not one of them.

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• image fredalina:
    Eh, for me it's more about identifying a reasonable request and saying yes when asked appropriately. I would have said yes in the first place, because big deal if she eats from a tupperware bowl. It's one more step to pour the cereal from the regular bowl to the tupperware bowl, and one more dish to clean. Not a big deal. I do NOT cave to tantrums, though, so once she started I would have pointed out that there are nice ways to ask and that is not one of them.

Yes 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Give her choices on her bowl and her cereal.  Choices help at my house, makes her feel impowered and gives ownership to her choices.
    http://richards-creations.net/Videos/Are-women-born-like-this.html Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Diagnosed with PCOS in March 2009. Taking Metfomin for insulin resistance and irregular cycles/ovulation. Had healthy baby girl in Jan 2010 via C-Section (HTN and Breech Presentation). Miscarry at 8 weeks with D&C in May 2011 (low progesterone) Had a healthy baby girl in June 2012 via C-Section.
  • stop giving in.

Walk away. tell her what behavior you expect and walk away until she can calm down 

My little girl is growing up! (born 12/09) Little brother is here! (born 5/2012) .  Missing our sweet baby lost in December 2013.  Thank you Lord for my precious family!
  • You may just want to change your routine a bit and not make her bowl of cereal until after she's up for the day. Let her pick the bowl and "help" pour the cereal and milk. It'll give her control over the situation and stop tantrums/fights in the morning (which always suck!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards