Multiples
Options

anyone elevate the crib mattress for reflux?

just wondering if/how you elevate the crib mattress for reflux?  right now the boys just sleep in bouncy chairs... but i was wondering if there is an easy safe way to elevate the mattress ourself. i looked at a medical supply store for a crib wedge and sling but it was expensive npand the sling wasn't even a good size.  i hate reflux! they never seem comfortable after eating :(

Re: anyone elevate the crib mattress for reflux?

• Options
    I had a thick memory foam pillow that I put under the head of DD's mattress.  It worked while she was young, but as she started moving it became pointless.  FWIW, her reflux resolved itself by 3-4 months. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image Eloise & Grant born 7/3/11
  • Options
    Per Dr's suggestion I just rolled up some towels and put it under one end of the mattresses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, we used rolled up towels under one end of the mattress. They slid down flat by the time they woke up in the morning, but I think it helped them to fall asleep being on an incline.
  • Options
    I put a couple coffee table books under one end of the mattress.  This is what I always did when my older daughter was congested too.  It works!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we had plywood boards under their mattresses in the crib - to make the angelcare monitors work better.... so we'd just roll up a towel and put it under the mattress on one end-  it helped a lot - Gibby couldn't stand to lay flat. 

once they started rolling around a lot we had to take it out b/c sometimes they'd end up laying opposite which certainly doesn't help :)

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Reflux is the worst! I feel your pain.. both my boys have it too :( It does seem to get better around 5 months though. I just bought the wedges from babies r us - I think the brand is DEX. They come in a blue and green box and were stocked over by the Boppys. I think they were about $16 each. you just put it under the mattress pad. The only thing is - once you stop swaddling them they tend to roll off it pretty quick. I ended up taking mine out when they were 3.5 - 4 months. Hope that helps! Also I kept them in their infant seats for 20-30 minutes after a night feeding and then moved them back into their crib.
  • Options
    I had those wedge things that go on top of the mattress, but under the mattress pad and sheet. They didn't really work that well though, because they kept rolling down sideways, off the thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageGeauxTigers82:
    I had those wedge things that go on top of the mattress, but under the mattress pad and sheet. They didn't really work that well though, because they kept rolling down sideways, off the thing.

This.  Didn't work for us either so they just sleep flat and don't seem to have an issue with it.

Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ours had terrible reflux through their first year. We tried various elevating tactics, but they would always slide down. I say skip all that and go directly to Rock N Plays. They were the best solution for our kiddos. They slept in RnPs until 6 months (DS) and 8 months (DD).
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options
    Our pedi told us to just put rolled up towels under the mattresses so that's what we did. It's not as much of an incline as the bouncers/ swings/ RnP but it's something. They scoot all over the crib, though, so they don't always stay on the incline.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options
    I had wiggly babies, so they never stayed head-side-up when we elevated the crib.  My reflux baby was eventually put on prevacid and put on special formula.  You can try rolling up a towel at one end.  The nurse also told us to hold the baby upright for an hour after every feeding.  I just laughed at her.  GL!
    IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.
  • Options
    Used Rock and Play and it was a lifesaver.  Highly recommend for reflux issues.
    TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We dropped one end of the crib.  When my girls reflux was really one end was dropped all the way down, and we used a danny sling to keep them in place.  As they grew out of it, we brought the end of the crib up a notch, and then finally to flat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"