Cloth Diapering
Options

stinkys already?????

so cd'ing has been going GREAT for us, even at night time! we just use bg's 4.0 pockets with mf & hemp insert. but, i've noticed after we wash DD's pockets (the BG's used for nights) they still smell like pee. not DS' pockets, just DD's. i tried adding an extra rinse to the wash cycles. still smell. maybe more detergent? but the others don't smell? i'm not quite sure.

and, our diaper pail smells like straight ammonia. i'm using a pillow case as the liner. could this be the cause? i wash the pillow case with the load of diapers. and we wash every other day - thats all the pail will hold, it's not very big. 

any help is appreciated, thank you!

Mommy to MonsterMan on January 27, 2010 - 9lbs.5oz. 21" Mommy to "Shnoobs" on August 8, 2011 - 5lbs.15oz. 19 1/2" "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other"-Audrey Hepburn

Re: stinkys already?????

• Options
    Sounds like you may want to try more detergent.  If that doesn't work, a different detergent may work better for you.  What detergent do you use?
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    ok. i've been using a tablespoon of the eco friendly family homemade detergent. (borax, washing soda, oxi clean). should i double the amount for my next wash?
    if i try another detergent- which one have you been successful with? 
    Mommy to MonsterMan on January 27, 2010 - 9lbs.5oz. 21" Mommy to "Shnoobs" on August 8, 2011 - 5lbs.15oz. 19 1/2" "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other"-Audrey Hepburn
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've personally had success with All Free and Clear, but I know it doesn't work for some people.  I put in a couple tablespoons myself.  They have a small odor to them if I put them against my nose, but otherwise they smell fine from a distance, and that's good enough for me.

You could try running a load with another half to full tablespoon of your detergent and see if that helps any.  If it makes it worse, maybe you actually need to cut back how much detergent you use.  There isn't a set formula that works for everyone, and you may have to play with it a bit, especially since you use a homemade detergent.  I hope you can find the right ratio for your diapers and machine type without too much trial and error. :)

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

First, the ammonia smell in your diaper pail is probably because you are using a pillow case instead of a water proof bag.  Just clean out the inside of the pail to help remove the odors.  You may also want to sprinkle some baking soda in the bottom of the pail too.  Plastic can really hold odors, so you may need to do this often.

If it's just the ON diapers that are smelling, I wouldn't change anything about your wash routine.  Instead, I would hand rinse the ON diaper before I put it in the pail.  If you have a diaper sprayer, just use that. 

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options
    imagebugandbibs:

First, the ammonia smell in your diaper pail is probably because you are using a pillow case instead of a water proof bag.  Just clean out the inside of the pail to help remove the odors.  You may also want to sprinkle some baking soda in the bottom of the pail too.  Plastic can really hold odors, so you may need to do this often.

If it's just the ON diapers that are smelling, I wouldn't change anything about your wash routine.  Instead, I would hand rinse the ON diaper before I put it in the pail.  If you have a diaper sprayer, just use that. 

thanks. what does ON stand for?? sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"