Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

? for those in HR/Recruiting

This is going to be a p&r since I need to get to bed, but I will check in in the morning. 

I was contacted today about a contract position with a large company.  In the email they asked that I forward another resume (they found mine on Monster) as well as my desired rate of pay. 

This job is in the field that I have worked in for 9 of the past 11yrs (I have been out of the field for the past 2yrs due to immigration and having a LO).  I looked on payscale.com for the salary range for this position so I have an idea, but the salaries on there are a national average and I live in TN and thus a low cost area where salaries are generally lower. 

I am going to wait until I talk on the phone with the recruiter to find out if it is a salaried or hourly rate of pay and if there is overtime required and the policy with that.  But when it comes to actually asking for the money I am a little lost on what I should put for my salary expectations.  I know what I made in Canada for this sort of position, but since I have never worked in that area where I live now I really have no clue what the 'going rate' would be.  Also the position is looking for a person with a bachelors degree, which I don't have, so I assume that would lower the amount I would ask for. 

On payscale the going rate for this position is between $42 and $84k/year and the position is a level 3 of a possible 5 levels.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Re: ? for those in HR/Recruiting

• I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say good luck! My husband has been job searching and been in this position a few times.  I could be wrong, but I think I would say a slightly higher rate than you really expect that way if they offer something lower it is still do-able!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• (Former IT recruiter here) First off, from what I understand, Payscale.com is crap (I'm helpful, yes?)

Second: It's extremely difficult to coach on what salary to pick without knowing the field and COL for your area, but honestly, just be blunt with the recruiter. Tell them you would like to hear more about the role before making a decision on salary, and if at all possible, try to get them to give you a general range (I was willing to give a broad salary range to candidates who requested it, so it's worth a shot.) They won't turn you down for the job because you don't want to pick a number, so try to keep from nailing down a firm salary until you are totally comfortable with what your going rate should be. 

If you must, just choose a salary that, to you, would be worthwhile. There are jobs I would do for half of what other people would because the circumstances appeal to me. Similarly, you would have to pay me double to do jobs others might love (like teaching. so not for me.)

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the advice!!  I did tell them that I needed to know more about the position before I could make a salary request. 

The position would be in manufacturing/industrial engineering and I live in a LCOL area (TN) if this helps with suggestions. 

• I learned in an HR class that a good response for a question like that is, "I'd like to learn more about the position before making any decisions. I have heard that you provide fair compensation and would like to fit in to your payscale"   or something on those lines...you don't want to short yourself out of money, or scare them away with an outrageous number. Although, if it is a contracted job, you are entitled to create the payrate...so as another person said, what you would be happy with earning there for that job should be fair and justifiable. Good luck and hope it works out for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"