High-Risk Pregnancy

struggling with decision to do csection

I was diagnosed with GD at 30 weeks, and have been completely diet controlled. I had an u/s at 38 weeks to check on the baby's growth and she is measuring at over 9 lbs. I know the accuracy of the weight is approximate. But having GD and having a larger baby my risk for her having shoulder dystocia has gone up to 20-30%. I am still not dilated and the doctor was going to induce the day before my due date anyway. The c-section is scheduled 3 days before my due date, and I'm now struggling with our decision to go forward with a section. I really want to have a vaginal delivery, and I feel like I may be making the wrong decision as there is still a great possibility that she won't have shoulder dystocia or even be as large as they are estimating. But coupled with the fact that there is no change in my cervix and the baby was lower at my last appt and now has moved back into a "floating" position, I just don't know what the right way to go here is. My dr. didn't push me one way or the other, she just gave me the options. I've been thinking of this most of the night and now I cannot sleep. There are so many more complications with a csection that may not even end up being warranted when it comes time. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for letting me vent a bit.  

DX PCOS in 2000 TTC since April 2010 DX Hypothyroidism 6/2010 Referred to RE 9/2010.

BFP in June 2011, DD born in 2012

Joined the baby train again 8/2013. First month, out due to re-diganosis of Hashimotos.

Sept 2013, 2.5 letrozole and trigger, low progestrone and using supplements = BFN.

Oct 2013 2.5 Letrozole, trigger, and IUI = low progestrone (8.9, using supplements) and BFP 11/6 Beta 26.9, Beta 2 @ 30, Beta 3 @ 25.3, Beta 4 @ 25.2 CP 5w1d

Nov 2013: ? waiting on AF

Re: struggling with decision to do csection

  • I have type 1 diabetes and I know I am at risk of having a larger baby as well. Personally if I were in your position I would hav the section. I also would like to have a vaginal delivery if possible, but if my baby were measuring over 9lbs I would do the section. I don't want to have to go through labor just to end up having a section anyways, and I don't want to cause serious damnage to baby if I try a vaginal birth and shouldn't have because of her size. I'm sure this decission would be much more difficult for me if I was actually given the options and had to decide for myself, but that is my initial reaction.

     

    Good luck!

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers


    image



    High Risk-Type 1 Diabetic-PTL With #1 @ 29 weeks- Incomplete Cervix-DD born at 34 weeks due to severe pre-eclampsia-
  • I was induced and was told I would be 50/50 needing a csection.  I was SO upset and adamant that I have her vaginally.  Well, I pushed and pushed and pushed.  Ya know what, she was transverse and I had the csection anyway.

    I recovered quickly and next child, I am TOTALLY doing csection again :o)

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You have to do what feels right to you. I'm sure there are lots of high risk moms who had great c-section experiences, and great vaginal experiences. Go with your gut.

    You're not ripe right now because your body is not ready to go into labor- totally normal and it doesn't mean anything! You could be closed up tight and go into labor the same night.

    http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2009/6/17/can-my-doctor-really-predict-shoulder-dystocia.html

    Not only are size estimates notoriously off this late in pregnancy, but even if the baby is 10, 11 pounds, it doesn't automatically equal a long/hard labor- lots of women have large babies and there is no way to tell if you can before a trial of labor since the pelvis is not a fixed bone- it moves and expands. There are things you can do to increase the odds of a successful vaginal birth- push in a squatting position or hands and knees, for example. GL no matter what you decide! 

    image
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012

    ~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~






  • i'm sorry you have to go through this.  i labored and pushed for hours before a section.  if there isn't a medical reason why your doctor feels you shouldn't try vaginally, i woudl go for it with the understanding that a section may be necessary depending on how the baby cooperates.  measurements aren't always accurate, so she may not be as big as they're saying now, and even if she is, your body may do fine with her size.  good luck.
    image


    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't want to tell you this to scare you but to give you some more info that might help you make a decision. I lost my baby boy the day he was born due to the complications of shoulder dystocia. It is very serious.
    My little boy went to heaven during childbirth Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers


    BabyFruit Ticker

    type 1 diabetic for 7 years. Been on the pump for 6 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards