Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Do you leave your butter/buttery spread sitting out?

DH bought a big tub of Smart Balance buttery spread at Costco and he leaves it sitting out because he likes it when it spreads easily.... of course the packaging says to refrigerate.

I've known ppl to leave real butter out on a tray at room temp...

just curious what others do.

Random, I know.

Take a chance. Take a risk. Take the initiative. Make your wishes a reality and make your dreams come true!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you leave your butter/buttery spread sitting out?

• When we bought spread it was always kept refrigerated.  

Now that we switched to butter I keep it out in a butter dish.  

however long the night, dawn will break.

• We leave our butter out.  UNLESS it is the super hot part of summer & we aren't using it very much.  It makes me so sad to lose butter to mold.  Sad 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think you should leave margarine (or whatever) to sit out.  Butter is fine on the counter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Spread - no. I buy the spreadable butter with canola oil for occasional use and I keep it refrigerated. I leave butter out for up to 2 days.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We leave the butter out on the counter, but definitely not spread.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We leave butter out in a French butter crock.

I don't think it's safe to leave margarine out. Isn't it formulated to spread easily when cold?

2012 Races: 3/18 Shamrock Shuffle 5k; 4/14 E.R. Race for Autism 5k (PR! 25:58); 6/9 Riudoso Sprint Triathlon; 6/24 Chunky Monkey 10K; 7/29 Cochiti Lake Olympic Triathlon; 9/16 Chips & Salsa 1/2 Marathon; 10/21 Duke City 1/2 Marathon; 12/2 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas!
  • We keep our butter in a dish on the counter.  It's very convenient and we haven't had any issues so far except that my MIL and mom both put it away in the fridge when they are over.  But, my mom refrigerates everything!  

image image
  • We keep butter and spreads in the refridgerator. Maybe I should start leaving the butter out. It is a pain if I forget to take it out to soften before I need to use it.
  • R
    imageemsumm:
    I don't think you should leave margarine (or whatever) to sit out.  Butter is fine on the counter.
    I think this. 

We have a stick butter on a covered tray thing in the cabinet then a tub (& more sticks) in the fridge. My hubs likes the tub, I prefer a soft/easy spread of real butter on toast/pancakes etc
  • I leave my smartbalance out occasionally when I forget to put it away... It separates if it gets too warm...

Why is it okay for butter but not margarine? Just curious.

• I leave butter sitting out. I don't buy the fake spread stuff, but if I did I don't think I'd leave it out. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know that you can, but it creeps me out.  I am really particular about refrigeration, experation dates, etc.
  • Real butter, yes.

Fake butter, no.

I do not know my reasoning for this, but all the fake butter spreads I buy are still soft even when refridgerated anyway.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I only leave out enough real butter for a day or two. If I used spread it would live in the fridge. Fats go rancid so easily I think it's gross to leave either out if it's not going to be fully used within about 2 days.
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • We like spread that actually spreads, so we get the Shedd's Spread type in the tub.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• imageJumpingJudahBean:

I leave my smartbalance out occasionally when I forget to put it away... It separates if it gets too warm...

Why is it okay for butter but not margarine? Just curious.

I just think it's like comparing the properties of Cheez Whiz versus aged cheddar.  One is a real dairy product, and one isn't.  In this case, one is safe to sit out, and the other is meant to be refrigerated.  I don't know exactly why, though.

• Real butter is always kept out on the counter. You can't spread it otherwise.

Fake butter spread is refrigerated because it still spreads when cold, and the package says to refrigerate.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageMrsDe2008:
    We leave the butter out on the counter, but definitely not spread.

This.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have a butter crock for the counter that I use for toast, etc.  I keep the sticks for cooking/baking in the refrigerator and I don't usually buy spread, but if I do I definitely refrigerate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"