Parenting after a Loss

Moirn, Eris (and anyone whose LO STTN)

Please tell me how to make this happen. Or even a four hour stretch would be nice. This week my LO has decided he won't sleep during the day unless he is on me or we are on a long walk. When he sleeps during these times it's for two to four hours unless he is put down - then it can be only ten min!

At night, he is waking each time he goes down in his crib, after only about 20 minutes to an hour. My mom has been visiting me the past two days do she's been going to him and rocking him until he starts rooting/crying which is at most three hours between feeding.

He's too young to CIO, so what to do? I can't hold him all night.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
BFP#1 - 8/27/10 - D&C 10/27/10 @ 13 weeks to Trisomy 18
Missing our Angel Baby Gabriel
BFP#2 - 3/18/11 - CP 3/19/11 BFP#3 - 4/27/11 - Due 1/9/12

Re: Moirn, Eris (and anyone whose LO STTN)

• Your DS is pretty young for STTN, I think around 3.5 months my DS started sleeping longer stretches. He started doing 3-4 hr stretch at 4 wks (not consistent), 6hr stretch around 8 wks. Now he is doing 8-11 hr stretches for the most part. There are nights he still wakes up after 6 hrs and wants to eat. I feed him and he goes back to sleep.. I guess the things that helped us are moving him to his room, stimulating him during alert time (he looks at picture on books while I read, or I give him long massages, or we play with lots of toys). And thirdly, if you breastfeed your milk becomes thicker with more fat overtime and stays in tiny tummy longer. I noticed that my milk now has a lot of fat content that sticks to bottles.
    BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image D&D4Ever7:
    Your DS is pretty young for STTN, I think around 3.5 months my DS started sleeping longer stretches. He started doing 3-4 hr stretch at 4 wks (not consistent), 6hr stretch around 8 wks. Now he is doing 8-11 hr stretches for the most part. There are nights he still wakes up after 6 hrs and wants to eat. I feed him and he goes back to sleep.. I guess the things that helped us are moving him to his room, stimulating him during alert time (he looks at picture on books while I read, or I give him long massages, or we play with lots of toys). And thirdly, if you breastfeed your milk becomes thicker with more fat overtime and stays in tiny tummy longer. I noticed that my milk now has a lot of fat content that sticks to bottles.

You're right he's a little young for STTN. Just now he went down for a whopping 20 minutes, though. I have really fatty milk and a lot of it so you'd think tthis hold him off too, but no. I guess this is a stage. And I'm envious of the sleepers out there! We do all the daytime vs. ight time stuff and the. Ight routine. I guess I just wait it out. Zzzzzz....

• image thewayiam:

image D&D4Ever7:
    Your DS is pretty young for STTN, I think around 3.5 months my DS started sleeping longer stretches. He started doing 3-4 hr stretch at 4 wks (not consistent), 6hr stretch around 8 wks. Now he is doing 8-11 hr stretches for the most part. There are nights he still wakes up after 6 hrs and wants to eat. I feed him and he goes back to sleep.. I guess the things that helped us are moving him to his room, stimulating him during alert time (he looks at picture on books while I read, or I give him long massages, or we play with lots of toys). And thirdly, if you breastfeed your milk becomes thicker with more fat overtime and stays in tiny tummy longer. I noticed that my milk now has a lot of fat content that sticks to bottles.

You're right he's a little young for STTN. Just now he went down for a whopping 20 minutes, though. I have really fatty milk and a lot of it so you'd think tthis hold him off too, but no. I guess this is a stage. And I'm envious of the sleepers out there! We do all the daytime vs. ight time stuff and the. Ight routine. I guess I just wait it out. Zzzzzz....

hang in there mama!
    BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Em has been STTN since right around a month. We FF though. She did have a period around 2 months where for 2 weeks she woke up at 5am, ate and then when back to bed.

We definitely don't let her CIO, but she's also not a snuggler. We doesn't like to sleep on us (maybe because we never did it even when she was a newborn??).

I think you have the right idea where you don't automatically feed him, but rather wait until he's rooting around. Sometimes they just need to be put back to sleep.

BFP #1 8.16.10 m/c at 5w BFP #2 10.21.10 m/c at 5w4d 
    BFP #3 2.15.11 EDD 10.27.11. DD born 10.29.11
    Betas @9dpo= 23 Betas @12dpo= 128.5 Betas @17dpo= 1075 Betas @21dpo =5800s
    @6w hb 114 bpm! @8w4d hb 178 bpm! @12w hb 169 bpm! @18w hb 150 bpm!
    BFP #4 2.15.13 EDD 10.29.13 DD born 10.30.13
    Betas @10dpo= 8.2 Betas @13dpo= 74 Betas @17dpo= 694
    @6w1d hb 122 bpm! @8w hb 169 bpm! @12w1d hb 174 bpm! 154 bpm! @18w1d
  • Unfortunately what you're describing is pretty normal for 6w.  DS didn't STTN until almost 3 mos...and it didn't last...he's currently up 2ish times a night.

Have you tried a swing?  A RNP?  Just thinking that perhaps the angle and/or motion do the trick for him.  Might buy you a few hours sleep.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (HrHz)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• DD sleeps for 6-7 hrs starting on Sat night. DH rocks her to sleep she wakes up once and gets her passie and falls back asleep.

Have you tried just giving him a passie to see if he just wants something to suck on.

BFP#1 11.19.10 Missed MC 01.10.11 Sam & Alex
    BFP#2 05.08.11 Birthday 1.11.12 Peyton
    BFP#3 06.10.12 Birthday 2.14.13-Cooper Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Congrats to my buddy Ambs21! Welcome to the world Audrey!
    Congrats to my buddy Mork! Welcome sweet E!
  • My LO does STTN most of the time... but he's 2, so my advice might be useless.

This will pass.  I promise.  Hang on, you will make it.  Can your DH help?  Is baby in your room (in a bassinet, co-sleeper, whatever works for you)?  If baby is not in your room, can you make DH the "baby-fetcher" - he brings baby to you, you nurse in bed, he returns the baby?

Good luck, I promise, you will sleep some day.

• Thanks, everyone, for your support. I really appreciate hearing that I may sleep some day.LO currently hates the swing, unfortunately. He liked it a couple of times, but right now he hates it. Hopefully that changes.

We've transitioned him to the crib. We had this problem in the bassinet before we moved him, too. It's worse this week, though. At least before he'd sleep during the day!

Ah, sweet sleep. I miss you.

• ((Hugs)) I know it doesn't even seem possible right now, but it will get better.

Is your H helping out? When we were getting up multiple times a night, DH would always get up with me. He would change C's diaper and hand him to me. Half the time he would stay up after I fed C to burp him and put him back to sleep, I did it the other half of the time. Having him help really made things so much easier.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Hugs, this too shall pass.
    The Blog

@When did I go from a kid to a grown up, on Flickr">Dinner.@When did I go from a kid to a grown up, on Flickr">Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • Aww we're having the same problems too.  No advice, just know you're not alone!  Just something we have to get through and it won't last forever.
    BFP#1: MC 3/1/11 at 6w1d - EDD 10/21/11
    BFP#2: 5/3/11 - EDD 1/9/12 - Born 1/6/12
    BFP#3: MC 2/8/14 at 4w5d - EDD 10/13/14
    BFP#4: MC 5/6/14 at 4w4d - EDD 1/9/15
    BFP#5: MMC discovered 8/4/14 at 9w1d - D&C 8/5/14 - Baby Boy with Trisomy 16 - EDD 3/8/15
    Dx: Unexplained RPL/poor egg quality
    Current Status: TTA until November '14, trying on our own one more time then onto IVF with PGD in 2015

• I'm honestly not sure how I have lucked out (knock on wood I don't jinx myself).  He is FF and we have been busy looking for houses, so maybe that has helped wear him out.  I also make sure we have activity and noise going on during the day and then quiet and dim lights at night.  I dress him in play outfits and then change him to PJs at night.  I also have a nightly routine with him.  We bathe him (every other day), change him, put him in his PJs, give him a bottle, read to him and sing him a lullaby while he lays on either one of our chests.  I don't move him to the bassinet until he is limp and floppy.  He definitely sleeps better on bath nights.  

I hope Grayden starts letting you sleep more soon.  

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • I'm not sure there is really anything you can do to make them STTN I think it just happens when they are ready and alot of that depends on the baby. DD has been STTN since 2.5 weeks and even before that she never woke up on her own we had to wake her to feed her every 3 hours. But apparently FI would sleep 14 hours as a baby (and still would if he could) so she definitely gets it from him. I hope you start getting more sleep soon!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My son still doesn't sleep through the night He wakes uo around three and then for good around 6 or 7. At that age he was up every two hours and took cat naps.
    >Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lucas didn't STTN until 10w. So I held him at night sitting up.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket