Baby Names

Jack as nickname for John

Is it common knowledge that Jack is a nickname for John?  I thought that it was but I have mentioned using this name combination to a few people and they had no idea that Jack was a nickname for John so I am looking for some opinions. 

If we have a boy, we have every intention of calling our child Jack (after both our Grandfathers-one who is just Jack and one who is John nn Jack), however our last name starts with a K so I would prefer to use John as a full name. 

The name we are considering is John Augustus.  If we just go with Jack, we plan to go with Jack Theodore.

Thanks!

P.S. The popularity doesn't bother us-the family signifance of the name is more important.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Jack as nickname for John

• I thought it was common knowledge but I have an uncle John/Jack so maybe I wouldn't make the connection otherwise.

I love the name Jack Theodore! But I can understand not wanting the K sound at the end and then at the beginning of your last name. 

• Yes, it's common knowledge... at least I thought it was, i.e. JFK went by Jack.

• Loading the player...
  • my father is john but most people call him jack,

i prefer john...and jack as nn rather than jack as first name

• I never knew that, although I guess I did know the JFK thing and just never really thought about it. 

Why does John need a nickname? It's one syllable. Isn't John a nickname in and of itself? 

Plum Geode
    (It's a poetry blog.)
  • I thought it was common knowledge. JFK - John Kennedy who went by Jack.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I thought it was common knowledge and honestly it bothers me when people just name their kids Jack instead of John. I think the same people who didn't know that Jack was a nn for John also don't know that Molly is a nn for Mary. 
    2 losses June '11 and July '11, forever in our hearts <3<br/> Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I thought it was common knowledge too. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • imagemiblue:
    I thought it was common knowledge and honestly it bothers me when people just name their kids Jack instead of John. I think the same people who didn't know that Jack was a nn for John also don't know that Molly is a nn for Mary. 

True story. I've never heard that before. 

Plum Geode
    (It's a poetry blog.)
  • I think it might just be what kind of culture you grow up in, too. Meaning, if you are exposed to these names or not. I had lots and lots of Catholic friends so I know a lot of John/Jacks and Margaret/Mollys or Mary/Mollys. 
    2 losses June '11 and July '11, forever in our hearts <3<br/> Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • definitely common knowledge, but I just asked DH and he didn't know. He doesn't really know about these things though.
  • I thought it was common knowledge as well. I've known at least 4 Johns who went by Jack. Interesting.

If the double k sound bothers you, then use John, but I really think Jack will probably sound just fine. Either way is ok since Jack is definitely a NN for John.

• I think it is common knowledge. My Grandpa and my brother (who was named for him) were/are both John, nn Jack.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I think it's pretty common knowledge.  I much prefer John with the nickname Jack than just Jack by itself. 
  • Yes, it is common knowledge. As a Jill who is married to a John, I can assure you that we get the super original "oh cute! Like Jack & Jill" comment all the time. :)

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• DH is John and always goes by Jack. 
  • Thanks for the opinions!
  • I think Jack is a common nickname for John but I think either name can stand alone just fine.  My nephew is John Alexander but we call him Jack (as my father-in-law and brother-in-law are both John). 
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 17

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I thought is was common knowledge. I have always known this. I don't have any relatives with the name Jack/John, not sure how I was told about Jack being a nn for John. I have known this my whole life though. My husband on the other hand didn't know what Jack was a nn for John. I think more girls know about this then guys or people who have many John's in their family and need a veriation of the name so that there isn't any confusion.

I don't really care for Jack with a last name starting with K. That is just my personal opinion.

a>Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • imageBazinga+:

I thought it was common knowledge but I have an uncle John/Jack so maybe I wouldn't make the connection otherwise.

This is me, exactly :) 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most of my DH's family are named John and half are called Jack. There is even a girl named Jackie.

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Jack is a nickname for John. It was my last name for years and my Grandpa John's name. He went by Jack Jack! My husband won't let me do Jack, only John and call him Jack.
  • Jack is a nickname for John. It was my last name for years and my Grandpa John's name. He went by Jack Jack! My husband won't let me do Jack, only John and call him Jack.
  • I think it depends who you talk to! My son is John Henry but we call him Jack! He's named after my grandfather (first and middle). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    JHB 1/19/09
    Baby girl due 11/22/12!
  • I am glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't know Jack was a NN for John.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"