Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleep Sack/Swaddle Questions

So we have been trying to find a swaddle sack that works for DS. DS definitely sleeps better swaddled, otherwise he has his hands all in his face, scratching his face, and waking himself up. We initially tried the fleece Halo Sleep Sack, but DS would slide down in it (he sleeps in a RNP) and the sleep sack would get in his face and I didn't feel comfortable with that. I think we couldn't get it tight enough with the thick fleece. So we then tried using the cotton SwaddleMe. These worked well and didn't end up in his face, but I am worried about his legs being swaddled. Since we started using the SwaddleMe his grunting and straining at night has gotten worse. I wonder if him not being able to move his legs all around is keeping him from passing gas or pooping. I thought of going out and buying a cotton Halo sleep sack to see if it can be wrapped tighter so DS doesn't slide down, but I hate to spend another $20 on something that doesnt work. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Sleep Sack/Swaddle Questions

• I thought that they were too tight on Carter too b/c he grunted a lot, but then I realized he just grunts and groans ALL night long anyhow, I don't notice it much during the day, b/c I am busy doing things... Carter started out in a RNP as well and we used both the same sleep sacks you did, with the HALO sacks I would velcro them lower down... kind of like  v-neck so they wouldn't ride up on him... and I would do it super tight...I did the same with the swaddle me's. The Halo's do seem to have more leg room in them though. When we used the Cotton sacks and I felt he was cold I would just lay a blanket over top of his legs.

You could always keep the packaging if you get a cotton one and if it doesn't work you can return it.

Good Luck! Your LO is a cutie! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think the SwaddleMe's restrict leg movement enough to be concerning. It's not as roomy as a sleep sack but the baby can still adjust position. My understanding is that the concern over legs is not having them bound tight because it puts a strain on the developing hips. But that's not the case here.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Loading the player...
  • so mine would have to have his arms out in all the swaddler things we tried.  then my sister gave me her miracle swaddler https://www.miracleblanket.com/) and it's been AMAZING!  you can make it as tight or not as you want and he usually will stop crying as i'm putting him in it and sleeps great during the night (or at least way better than before!).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I guess my concern over the legs thing was is he able to move them enough to work the gas out. He doesnt have the grunting and straining during the day, and when he wakes up in the morning and I let his legs out he will stretch and start moving them around and usually then he either poops or passes gas. I just wondered if he could move them during the night would this help move things along?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We use the cotton halo sleepsack/swaddle, and like a PP I also velcro it lower to avoid it going up into her face.  We tried just the sleep sack alone, but she wants her arms swaddled and that works.  There is plenty of room for the legs to move around and unless my husband is doing the swaddling her arms generally stay in the swaddle because you are able to get them relatively tight.  I would recommend them.
  • We love the cotton swaddle sacks. Definitely removed my fear of hip dysplasia, and can be swaddled tight so she can't escape.
  • imagekmmags:
    so mine would have to have his arms out in all the swaddler things we tried.  then my sister gave me her miracle swaddler https://www.miracleblanket.com/) and it's been AMAZING!  you can make it as tight or not as you want and he usually will stop crying as i'm putting him in it and sleeps great during the night (or at least way better than before!).

We were able to train DD to sleep in her PnP rather than sleeping with me 

• Hi there, Halo here.  As  your baby sleeps on an incline, as you describe, gravity can contribute to causing the baby to slide down.  Other contributing factors could be that the swaddle is too big for the baby, it's not wrapped tightly enough, or the wings aren't secured properly.  We recommend the size newborn SleepSack Swaddle for babies 19-23? and 6-12lbs, the size small SleepSack Swaddle for babies 23-26? and 10-18 lbs.  Please check the size first.  When wrapping your baby in the SleepSack Swaddle be sure to wrap the swaddle wings, tightly, around the lower portion of your baby?s torso.  This will help prevent it from riding up.  Having a loose swaddle around your little one?s hips and legs is important to ensure proper hip development.  In fact, the HALO SleepSack Swaddle is the only swaddle to be designated as Hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.  I hope this helps, please contact us at SleepSack@haloinnovations.com if you have additional questions.

• We use both the Miracle Blanket and the Halo SleepSack Swaddle (cotton) and both work great. I prefer the Halo as it's much easier for me to wrap her due to the velcro, my husband however is a pro with the Miracle Blanket and prefers that one. I wouldn't even bother with the fleece since it seems way too hot.
  • We use a NuRoo swaddle and we love them. She's able to move her legs and she rarely gets her arms out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"