Austin Babies

Advice Please

DS has been constipated on and off for the past couple of days. I've had to give him a suppository twice now. It's the saddest thing to see. However, I'm trying to figure out what to do to help him. I think the culprit may be us trying to transition him to cow milk from soy milk because I've been reading more and more of the bad effects of soy milk. However, I'm wondering if we should be trying almond milk instead or prune juice :/. He drinks a cup of apple juice a day as well as eats plenty of apple sauce. I figured this would help....but we seem to still be dealing with this. .... Thoughts? Suggestions? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice Please

• I don't like doing the suppositories b/c i think it is fairly traumatic for my DS (and frankly, they weren't helping). Since DS has been in school, he's gone from a good pooper to being very constipated (crying when trying to go, blood in stool, DH could feel an impaction, etc). Last week I started putting 1/2 - 1 capful of miralax in some diluted apple juice in the morning. That is what started him being able to get it all out. Now I probably give him 1/2 capful every other morning while he gets past the trauma of all the poop troubles he's had the past few weeks.

• The suppository was traumatizing for me, much less DD. :)  We ended up with Miralax as well, and that worked great.  We were able to wean her off of it once she stopped holding it in too since she was afraid it would hurt.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The pitiful part for me is that he laid still & didn't whimper with the suppository. He knew I was trying to help him.... It amazes me how very rational he can be at 2 sometimes & then how very irrational he can be other times. 
  • For DS, the constipation solution was mixing Miralax into his apple juice.  I asked the pharmacist for help with dosing.  We did it for about two weeks and it really seemed to kick start his system - he's very regular now.  And he hates apple juice because he figured out our little "trick".  Wink
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • prune juice, or a little mixed in with milk. raisins. raisin bran. grapes. whole prunes, if he'll eat them (my kids won't). I hope you find a solution!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD has been having the same problem. I was too chicken to try a suppository. We have been mixing baby food prunes into her applesauce, lots of beans, offering raisins for snacks and increasing water in take. We have also been doing a fiber gummy. I think what actually helped the most was a couple of days of Miralax. We did 1/4 a cap mixed with water or juice. DD is 22 lbs and that's the dosage the pharmacist at Dell children's recommended to me. after a couple days of Miralax she was doing much better and the diet changes have helped maintain things.
  • Miralax for sure. Also try not to do too much apple as apples are part of the BRAT diet (to stop diharrea)
    image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"