Nurseries and Baby Gear

Car Seat/Stroller Expiration question

DH's brother just offered to give us their Graco car seat and travel system they used for their 2 kids. I've heard infant car seats expire, but I don't really know when or why. This system was purchased for them in 2003.

I'm not the biggest fan of the colors, so it wouldn't kill me if this set "expired." However, it is coming to us free, so there is something to be said for that.

Anyone know anything about car seat expirations? Do the strollers expire too?

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Car Seat/Stroller Expiration question

• I have heard that they expire after 5-6 years. Not really sure why though!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Do you have the set yet?  I think that you'd be able to find the manufacture date...  I'm going to say a set purchased in 2003 has to be expired years ago.  I wouldn't use it.

I don't like travel systems, since they're huge.  I don't know if strollers expire, but if you're not taking the car seat, you have an out for not taking the stroller, either!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Strollers don't expire like car seats although you may want to double check for recalls.  The infant seat and base are way expired, most are 5-6 years from the manufacture date.

ETA: Here's an article with more info.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Flip the carseat over and there should be an expiration date on the bottom.

My sister has a carset she has used with her 3 kids over the past 6 years that we could use.  We are buying a new one as the expiration date is prior to May when our baby is due and also, it's starting to get a little grimey after 3 kids.

• Thanks everyone! I appreciate the heads up. We may take it and then do the BRU trade. I was just thinking that was a good deal, but that I don't have anything to trade. Since the system is coming to us this weekend, now I do have something to trade!

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Graco infant car seats expire after 6 years (from date of manufacture), it's toast. The stroller doesn't (in Canada it's anything before 1986). Even still, Graco patterns look dated quickly, I'll ditto the trade and save.

FYI, depending on the seat, they are good anywhere from 5-9 years, depending on type and manufacturer. Quick cheat sheet: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2011c01-1168.htm The expiry is the same in the US.

• I think if they don't mind, just take it to the BRU trade in, like you mentioned.  At least then it's being taken out of commission and you're getting a sweet deal on a new seat.  We opted to get the keyfit magic because we could get it at 25% off.  It made it cheaper than the adventure pattern we were going to get from Amazon. I got an expired seat from a coworker.  She was going to donate it but wasn't sure if she could do it because the seat was expired.  Today she told me she nearly snagged a seat off the side of a road so I could have another 25% off coupon.  LOL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"