March 2012 Moms

NBR: sad decision (pet related)

I have a 12 yo (maybe 13. not sure) cat that I have had since I was 14. She has been dealing with weird sores for 5 years. Started getting sick last spring. Got really bad over summer. Been to the vet many times. The past 2 months, you can just watch her fade. My normally snuggly cat doesn't even want to be touched. Sleeps in the litter box. No meds they give her will work. She is getting worse on them. Losing weight even though she is eating and not throwing up or anything. Next step is surgery but more than likely, that won't help either.

So called and set up a time to get her put down Wednesday morning. So hard. I've never had to do this before. I mean, I've had to deal with pets getting put down before but my parents have always done it. Right now, I hate being an adult. :(

I know it is for the best. She doesn't feel good and isn't going to get better. Even if I had the money to get the surgery(ies) she needs, it probably won't help anyway according to the vet. And I know it is more mean to let her live in pain. And, practically, I can't take care of a sick cat and a newborn.

I'm not a "pets are my children" type of person or anything. But I do like my pets and have had this one for a very long time. Makes it that much harder.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

Re: NBR: sad decision (pet related)

• Oh, I am so sorry to hear that!  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  That is such a hard decision to make. :(
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I am very sorry to hear that, it is an incredibly difficult decision to make. I pray for your comfort during this difficult period. It's times like these that I go back to wishing I had my mommy and daddy there to make these decisions. Sometimes being an adult really does suck.

DX PCOS in 2000 TTC since April 2010 DX Hypothyroidism 6/2010 Referred to RE 9/2010.

BFP in June 2011, DD born in 2012

Joined the baby train again 8/2013. First month, out due to re-diganosis of Hashimotos.

Sept 2013, 2.5 letrozole and trigger, low progestrone and using supplements = BFN.

Oct 2013 2.5 Letrozole, trigger, and IUI = low progestrone (8.9, using supplements) and BFP 11/6 Beta 26.9, Beta 2 @ 30, Beta 3 @ 25.3, Beta 4 @ 25.2 CP 5w1d

Nov 2013: ? waiting on AF

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry to hear this. I've only had to have one pet put down since I've been an adult and it was heartbreaking (even though, like you, I knew it was the right thing to do).

At least it will be a comfort to her that you will be there when she goes to sleep.   

• There is nothing wrong with admitting you love your pets like furkids - no shame in that at all!

I am just so sorry you are going through this, but it sounds like you know it's the best, most humane thing to do. You have given her a wonderful life for many years with lots of love and attention and a safe home. So many live on the street or in shelters, ... and it's wonderful you were able to give her such a wonderful life for so many years.

If you can, go and be with her during the appointment. I used to work at a vet office and was very surprised at how calm and peaceful the process is. Go there, and pet her and talk to her, and you will of course feel sad but will know for sure it was the right thing to do. Again, I am so sorry you have to go through this - but you have given her a great, long life and are giving her the gift of a peaceful, humane ending.

Alex has arrived! 9 pounds, 21 inches - 3 weeks early on March 2nd ~went natural - very intense. whew!~
  • Another thing I've done the very few (thankfully) times I've had to go through this was to donate to the ASPCA or the Humane Society afterwards. You can do it online for as much or as little as you can - it just always made me feel a little better that money would go towards helping another creature that needed help.

Again - I'm so sorry. 

Alex has arrived! 9 pounds, 21 inches - 3 weeks early on March 2nd ~went natural - very intense. whew!~
  • I'm so very sorry! It's never easy to lose a pet you care about! 

Just remember she won't be hurting or suffering anymore and she will finally be at peace.
    I have a cat that's 12 years old and this made me think of her...however my cat is my baby and I would be beyond devastated because she's been there when I was diagnosed with diabetes, when I had viral encephalitis, when I had mono, and so on.

I'm so very sorry! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMotherMonster:

I'm so very sorry! It's never easy to lose a pet you care about! 

Just remember she won't be hurting or suffering anymore and she will finally be at peace.
    I have a cat that's 12 years old and this made me think of her...however my cat is my baby and I would be beyond devastated because she's been there when I was diagnosed with diabetes, when I had viral encephalitis, when I had mono, and so on.

I'm so very sorry! 

This is the cat that when my appendix burst, she spend the 2 days before it ruptured and we just thought I had the flu, circling my stomach, pawing at it, and meowing. Been through high school and college with me.

We've always said that once we are down to just the one cat, we will go and "adopt" a dog from the shelter. So maybe this summer we can do that. 

Just so sad, even though I know it is the right thing. Honestly, should have been done this fall but for my own selfish reasons, I wanted her to make it through one last Christmas. We got her from the shelter at Christmas time.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this, I love my pets so much and even though I know I will likely outlive them, it still makes me so sad to know that we will have to say goodbye someday. You are doing the right thing ensuring a dignified, painless passing for your cat. She doesn't understand her suffering and I believe that putting our pets through painful surgeries only makes us feel better, not them. I will be thinking about you and praying for you on Wednesday.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry for your pain. Losing a family member is so hard. She will be better off and keeping her alive at this point is not in her best interest. Be thankful that you are strong enough to take her. Big hugs to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • I am so sorry you have to make such a crappy decision.  A few years ago I had to be the one to give the OK to have our family bird put to sleep (no one was with me at the vet) and it really sucked.  When we put our dog down it was a family decision so I didn't feel quite so horrible.  I don't think it's ever an easy choice to make, even when you know it is the best choice for them.  

And your little girl sounds a good bit like mine- R and I call her Dr Wednesday (or Dr Woo) because she gets very insistent with kneading R's bladder when he has a catheter in place.  She also bats at the tube when it gets blocked with a clot.  

Big hugs to you and your kitty!     

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"