2nd Trimester
Options

Two rude things happened to me today.

The first thing, wasn't that rude but it bothered me. My husband is out of town so I sent him a picture of my belly, ( I drew a face on it and it was funny) and he showed it to his sister and aunt. They made a comment regarding how big it was and he said I was almost 25 weeks which on here says the baby is about the size of an eggplant. They said "Looks like there's a lot more than an eggplant in there, you guys are probably having a huge baby!" -That is annoying. There is much more than an eggplant in there. There is my expanding uterus, the baby's placenta, my own organs, and that is just what a pregnant belly looks like! And I feel like comments like that just make you feel like you look too big for how far along you are. I found it extra annoying because his sister is a bigger girl who has 3 kids under 3, and if someone made a reference like that to her about her belly when she was pregnant, she would have cried. Anyways, whatever...

Second thing, I received this fb message from my friends friend. I don't know why we are friends on fb, but I actually have hid her because she is a very 'know-it-all' kind of mommy that wants to tell everyone the best ways to raise their children. We were also in our mutual friends wedding recently and I felt like I was in the movie bridesmaids- It was horrible. So anyway, I go on fb and there's this message from her regarding circumcision.

"Hey there! I hope all is going well with the pregnancy! i wanted to recommend a link to you. Since you are having a boy, you have a very important decision to make. I am referring to whether or not to circumcise. We chose to leave Cole intact as we could find no medical reason to circumcise. I think babies are born perfect, just the way they are. anyway, this is a really informational and somewhat graphic (warning) article on intact vs circumcised."

(I decided to leave out the links, because they were really graphic and anyone can google it if they feel the need to see that stuff. Also I think anyone can find internet links that are biased to what you personally believe, so I didn't think that was necessary.)

I thought that was so ridiculous. I am actually choosing to not circumcise, (no judgement to those who do) but I thought it was so rude of her to just send this to me when we are not good friends, and she is clearly telling me what she thinks is right. What if I was going to circumcise for religious reasons, or just because that's what my husband and I wanted to do?  I would have had to do so knowing where she stood on it.

I just don't understand why people think it's okay to tell other people how to parent or make choices for their children, based off of their opinions and feelings. Especially people who go out of their way to tell you, who aren't even your close friends or family. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my two rude things of the day. 

Re: Two rude things happened to me today.

• Options

when the baby gets here................it gets even worse!!

My mother and aunt are angry with me now because my 16 year old is in major trouble.

It's so annoying!! like everyone knows your child better than you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh one of the things I am dreading about Mommyhood, but I guess I will just have to get used to it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    People do that with my daughter all the time, which is made worse because her biological "father"s mother wants to do everything her way. With the result that my five year old has her own therapist. If people say things like that just make a smart aleck reply and they usually get offended enough that they don't attempt it again. 
  • Options

First thing: If I were you I'd be annoyed too.  But as an outsider looking in I can see how this was just a comment that was not meant to offend, but not said with much thought.  Worth letting go.

Second thing: I'd unfriend her in a heartbeat.  She is out of line and I just wouldn't want that crap shoved down my throat.

Can I just add that last night at a dinner party I was about to stick a piece of eggplant...EGGPLANT...in my mouth when the woman next to me said, "You know you can't eat eggplant."  Oh...really?  Said by which expert?  Oh she is in to "all this natural stuff"?  Well great for her but the five resources (including Mayo Clinic) I've read about nutrition during pregnancy never mentioned anything about eggplant.  Thanks for interrupting my efforts to eat a variety of healthy vegetables AND for making the other 6 people at the dinner table stare at me.

• Options

Oh I would be totally annoyed too if someone said "I was huge" or "The baby is going to be huge!"... Well, shoot, I've gotten some of those comments. If it makes you feel better, it seems that most people get similar comments. I think it just sucks 110x's more when it comes from family. They should know to shut it!

As far the random message from the random friend of a friend... Really? I can't believe a person would feel that they have the right to even contact you about something like that. In fact, I'd frankly be p/o'd if someone within the family really spent their time trying to impress their feelings on how we are going to do things. I mean... it'd be one thing if you contacted her for ideas/suggestions. Then it opens the door. But when you don't ask--they have no right! I'd just ignore her, IMO!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJNoelleE:

The first thing, wasn't that rude but it bothered me. My husband is out of town so I sent him a picture of my belly, ( I drew a face on it and it was funny) and he showed it to his sister and aunt. They made a comment regarding how big it was and he said I was almost 25 weeks which on here says the baby is about the size of an eggplant. They said "Looks like there's a lot more than an eggplant in there, you guys are probably having a huge baby!" -That is annoying. There is much more than an eggplant in there. There is my expanding uterus, the baby's placenta, my own organs, and that is just what a pregnant belly looks like! And I feel like comments like that just make you feel like you look too big for how far along you are. I found it extra annoying because his sister is a bigger girl who has 3 kids under 3, and if someone made a reference like that to her about her belly when she was pregnant, she would have cried. Anyways, whatever...

Second thing, I received this fb message from my friends friend. I don't know why we are friends on fb, but I actually have hid her because she is a very 'know-it-all' kind of mommy that wants to tell everyone the best ways to raise their children. We were also in our mutual friends wedding recently and I felt like I was in the movie bridesmaids- It was horrible. So anyway, I go on fb and there's this message from her regarding circumcision.

"Hey there! I hope all is going well with the pregnancy! i wanted to recommend a link to you. Since you are having a boy, you have a very important decision to make. I am referring to whether or not to circumcise. We chose to leave Cole intact as we could find no medical reason to circumcise. I think babies are born perfect, just the way they are. anyway, this is a really informational and somewhat graphic (warning) article on intact vs circumcised."

(I decided to leave out the links, because they were really graphic and anyone can google it if they feel the need to see that stuff. Also I think anyone can find internet links that are biased to what you personally believe, so I didn't think that was necessary.)

I thought that was so ridiculous. I am actually choosing to not circumcise, (no judgement to those who do) but I thought it was so rude of her to just send this to me when we are not good friends, and she is clearly telling me what she thinks is right. What if I was going to circumcise for religious reasons, or just because that's what my husband and I wanted to do?  I would have had to do so knowing where she stood on it.

I just don't understand why people think it's okay to tell other people how to parent or make choices for their children, based off of their opinions and feelings. Especially people who go out of their way to tell you, who aren't even your close friends or family. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my two rude things of the day. 

That stinks! You are right, there is ALOT more in there than the baby! People are soooo ignorant!

I hide the know it alls too! So annoying! 

• Options
    i am not looking forward to know it alls....
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for validating my frustrations guys! Haha Just some of the joys of being pregnant I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"