September 2011 Moms

What do you do with livingroom toys?

The toys that your LO uses everyday. What do you do with them? Do you have some type of toy box, carry them back and forth all the time to their bedroom, or something else? I'm thinking of going to find a stand/shelf that could double as a toy keeper. Please share.

J 2.22.98 N 11.20.03 C 8.16.11  
                                                                            InstagramImage and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: What do you do with livingroom toys?

• The activity mat and swing just stay out unless someone's coming over. The rest of them get stacked on the bottom two shelves of a bookcase.
  • The activity mat and bouncy seat stay out.  The rest get placed in a 12" fabric cube I got at IKEA for $5 that stays under his changing table (it works best there because I'm picking up toys and laundry, and his laundry bin is under his changing table too).
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• we have this dresser type table with wicker drawers.  It sits next to our chair and ottoman.  Top row has three small drawers (I keep other stuff in those like remotes, batteries, flashlight, all our various cords for electronic things), then middle row has two (one has all the cameras other has toys) and then the bottom is all toys.  We also have 1 smallish basket that is just Blake's stuff.  Then they each have some stuff in their rooms, but the bulk of the toys are in the basement playroom.  I rotate things around so they don't have the same stuff in the same rooms all the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Bouncy seat and activity mat sit out all the time. I have a little bin that I put his small toys in and clean it up at the end of each day. I am actually looking to get some kind of small storage unit for the living room.

• um... you mean what do we do with them besides leave them scattered all over the furniture?

For real though, I'm looking for a toy chest to keep everything in. It's getting ridiculous. 

• The activity mat and bouncer stay out all the time, but we have so many hanging toys, rattles, teethers, etc. that I'm going to either get a leather storage ottoman like below or just use the wicker basket we use for magazines.

• I have a big pink tub/basket from Target. Im not sure what it is made out of but its a cloth like material. All the toys go in there and it is in the corner next to the TV. My oldest loves pulling them out every morning. It entertains her for at least 30 minutes.

It looks like

http://www.target.com/p/Household-Essentials-Medium-Bin-White-Medium/-/A-13222289

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Abigail (6.2010) and Evelyn (9.2011)
  • image ermaderma:

The activity mat and bouncer stay out all the time, but we have so many hanging toys, rattles, teethers, etc. that I'm going to either get a leather storage ottoman like below or just use the wicker basket we use for magazines.

We have two cubes like this. So far one holds the small toys like her rattles and dolls.  I anticipate spilling over into the other one very soon.  The activity mat gets folded and put behind the couch.  Her jumper and swing are out.  We're already looking for something else that could also hold her toys once the two cubes aren't enough. 

After 3 years and 1 IUI, our miracle is here!
  • We have four "things" in our living room. The bouncy seat, the activity may, a small toy bin with handles and the exersaucer. All four things stay out, lined up and get put behind the couch when we have guests. Our couch has about four feet behind it and then the wall/huge window. We WILL be getting a toy chest that matches our furniture soon though. I anticipate being bombarded with dolls this year and those suckers are gonna need a home. ;-)

1 Ruptured Ectopic m/c,
    1 Chemical Pregnancy m/c,
    2 rounds of Clomid,
    2 rounds of IUI,
    1 miracle BFP while waiting to start IVF!

~High five to my eBFF Chloe!~

• The bouncer stays out.  The activity mat colapses really easily so I throw the toys we are playing with into the center of the mat, close it up, and lean it in the corner.  It's actually not so bad ... yet!

The jumperoo will stay out in the livingroom too when we get to that point.

Married 12/31/09

• I have a big rubbermaid container that I have thrown all her toys in.  Most of her toys that she plays with on a daily basis (a lovey blanket, a tigger or two, and a rattle) stay on her high chair.  The other stuff like her jumperoo, walker, and the fisher price and vtech tables stay in the dining room.  We have yet to buy a dining room set, and it's a big open area, so I have made it her play room.  The etiquette Gods can frown on me all they want. Her activity mats used to be in the dining room too, but she hated playing with them when they were on the carpet (she kicks and flails a lot when she plays in them), so they stay on the floor in our room at night, and during the day I put them up on our bed.  
    SAHM to two beautiful girls. A - 9/16/11 E - 4/29/13
  • we use this, bought it at Ikea yesterday...

BabyFruit Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • we use this, bought it at Ikea yesterday...

BabyFruit Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image casey820:

we use this, bought it at Ikea yesterday...

I really like this and the "dresser" type idea fannis mentioned. Decisions, Decisions. 

J 2.22.98 N 11.20.03 C 8.16.11  
                                                                                InstagramImage and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image casey820:

We have this, although in a different (taller, narrower) configuration, and we use it in the nursery. It's great because you can store different size toys, and you can add in shelves also (we used to keep our diaper-related stuff on the shelves until we got a caddy; now we display stuffed animals and things).

I'm not the person to be giving advice on living room stuff. It's a disaster area. We have a large swing and large activity mat that we use constantly, so they stay out all the time (the mat does not fold up easily, unfortunately-- that would be a great feature). We have two strollers and nowhere else to put them, so they live in the living room also (yay for apartment living!). We just got an exersaucer that we really don't have room for. Lately I've left out some large tuperware-type containers and put all the little toys in there when we're not using them (in a perfect world, they would be classier looking than clear plastic, but whatevs), but in practice, our living room is a monstrous heap of burp cloths, nursing pillows, toys, clothes, and, of course, our own junk that we don't get around to cleaning up. Anyone know any live-in maids that are willing to work for free? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• image jupiterthecat:
    image casey820:

We have this, although in a different (taller, narrower) configuration, and we use it in the nursery. It's great because you can store different size toys, and you can add in shelves also (we used to keep our diaper-related stuff on the shelves until we got a caddy; now we display stuffed animals and things).

I'm not the person to be giving advice on living room stuff. It's a disaster area. We have a large swing and large activity mat that we use constantly, so they stay out all the time (the mat does not fold up easily, unfortunately-- that would be a great feature). We have two strollers and nowhere else to put them, so they live in the living room also (yay for apartment living!). We just got an exersaucer that we really don't have room for. Lately I've left out some large tuperware-type containers and put all the little toys in there when we're not using them (in a perfect world, they would be classier looking than clear plastic, but whatevs), but in practice, our living room is a monstrous heap of burp cloths, nursing pillows, toys, clothes, and, of course, our own junk that we don't get around to cleaning up. Anyone know any live-in maids that are willing to work for free? 

Don't get me started.  My SIL brought us all her baby stuff Sunday since they don't need it anymore.  So as of now I have (in JUST my living room) an exersaucer, jumperoo, activity mat, the new toy bin thing from Ikea, a second stroller, a second pack and play, and a full size swing!!  I don't know what to do with everything.

BabyFruit Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We have a wood toybox for toys in our livingroom, and several wicker baskets on shelves where DD's toys are stored.  Then each child has a shelving unit in their bedrooms.  Both have square openings - some are open for books and puzzles, some have bins where toys are stored.
    imageimage

Avery & Sophie born still November 12, 2007
  • image ermaderma:

The activity mat and bouncer stay out all the time, but we have so many hanging toys, rattles, teethers, etc. that I'm going to either get a leather storage ottoman like below or just use the wicker basket we use for magazines.

We are getting something similar! This is the best idea!!

• The swing, playmat, and jumperoo all stay in the living room. The bouncer moves from room to room. The only small toys we have in the living room are the ones that attach to the playmat and a bunch of alphabet links. There are a couple small toys (a small frog and a bunny) that usually live in the diaper bag.

(We also have the rock n play and the cosleeper in the living until they get rehomed so our living is freaking crazy.) 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a toy box in the sunroom.  Its attached to the LR and I intend to just play in there once I get it cleaned up a bit.  Otherwise, the toys are on the end tables or kitchen island in hopes the dog won't eat them.  She's already killed his best teether. 

Two little miracles made possible by the gift of life - Be an organ donor - Always thankful 

• We have an Ottoman that opens up.  We put all the loose toys in that.  Sort of a toy bin that really doesn't look like one.  The play mat and saucer don't get put away though. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest