Parenting
Options

Do you invite teachers to the kids birthday party?

For the past 5 years we had invited DS & DD's daycare providers to their respective birthday parties.  We were really close with their daycare providers, so it seemed normal to invite them.  This year, DD & DS are in new schools & we (as parents) don't have that same type of close relationship with their new teachers. I'm wondering if we should invite them to the parties.  If it matters, DS is in kindergarten and DD is in her last year of pre-school and their parties are at a playzone type place.  WWYD?

Thanks! 

Re: Do you invite teachers to the kids birthday party?

• Options
    I never have but one of our friend's teacher made an appearence to her birthday party.  That was nice. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    not unless I had a personal relationship with the teacher, such that they would be invited even if they were not my child's teacher
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• Options
    I never have, but our kids were always at a daycare center. I've been at one party where the kid's provider was there but it is a very small in-home babysitter, and they are only one of 2 families whose kids go there, so totally different scenario. I would not invite the kid's Kindergarten teacher--no way!
  • Options
    No way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD1 is in kindergarten room at daycare center - her teacher goes to every single birthday party she gets invited to. She's the sweetest woman and seems to really enjoy mingling with the parents. And she always brings a nice little gift for the kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageJenniC1135:
    not unless I had a personal relationship with the teacher, such that they would be invited even if they were not my child's teacher

This.

• Options

No, we don't.

I am a teacher and would find it very odd to be invited to a kids b-day party.  Unless it si the norm in your area, I wouldn't do it.  It puts everyone in an awkward postition. Should the teacher go or not? Does she buy a gift? If I went and bought a gift I would feel like I need to give all the kids in my class a gift.  Plus it might make other families feel like the have to invite the teacher. Personally I wouldn't go down that road.

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
  • Options

No way. I would not do that.  I <3 her teacher (Kindergarten) but never has the thought even crossed my mind to invite her to my daughters bday party.  In my head, it seems like it would put the teacher in a tough position.  Also, teachers need a freakin break from their students! Can you imagine having a bunch of 5 year olds all.day.long and then needing to go to 20 parties on the side? (because you know if you invite, more will out of pressure or something?).  Eh.  No way.

if I knew her teacher PREVIOUSLY and we were friends BEFORE hand or something, then yes.. that's different.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    I think that is really weird honestly and agree it puts the teacher in a terribly awkward position.
  • Options

imagePMQ:
    OMG No! Can you imagine a teacher being invited to the birthday parties of all his/her students?! I have never heard of anyone I know IRL inviting their child's teacher to their birthday party!

This is the reason we have not. DD1 has wanted to ask, but I have always told her that we can't invite her teacher.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Unless you have a relationship with the teacher out of the classroom I would not invite them and I would think it would make them feel uncomfortable to be asked.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    I have never invited a teacher, don't know anyone that has.  The only exception that I have seen is when the teacher has a child in the same class as the kids, then the child is invited so the parent/teacher comes to the party.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

Depends on the norm in your area.

I am a teacher and when I taught in Las Vegas, is was normal to invite the teacher. I always went (when I could) but never brought a present, just a personal card. Here in Oklahoma, it is NOT the norm. Teachers are never invited to parties.

~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options

When I taught/lived in Indianapolis I was invited to a party. I went enjoyed the party but it was the only one I was invited to. Granted I only had 10 students and she was the most active parent I had.

SN: She offered me wine and I politely turned that down. I didn't want to be the drunk teacher at a student's party.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"