February 2012 Moms

Pre-registering: unnecessary info?

So I'm pre-registering for the hospital-and I'm not sure why. I've already been there dozens of times. My A/S was done there as well as when I was treated in the ER and my doc's office is in the professional building that's attached. Yet I have to fill out oodles of info with insurance that they already have in the computer. And for some reason, they would like to know my occupation, the status of it, employers name, address, phone number - why? And for what purpose do they need to know my religion and place of worship? I just feel like this is all so unnecessary - esp. since I"ve already been treated there and they should have at least MOST of this info (can't remember if I ever told the ER people where I went to church...) Ugh - just frustrating filling out paperwork! At least I can get it out of the way now and not when I'm doubled over from contractions.
                Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

Re: Pre-registering: unnecessary info?

• I'm not a doctor/nurse/hospital staffer, but I can think of a few good reasons...

1) Their records system may not have all of that info in one place

2) The employer information is likely for your insurance, so they can bill your insurance correctly and, if you run out on your hospital bills, they can garnish your wages. :P

3) Religion -- worst case scenarios, in case they need to get a priest/minister/pastor/etc in for you.

4) Having the official date you're due probably helps them figure out scheduling for people's shifts.

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagesoralette:

I'm not a doctor/nurse/hospital staffer, but I can think of a few good reasons...

1) Their records system may not have all of that info in one place

2) The employer information is likely for your insurance, so they can bill your insurance correctly and, if you run out on your hospital bills, they can garnish your wages. :P

3) Religion -- worst case scenarios, in case they need to get a priest/minister/pastor/etc in for you.

4) Having the official date you're due probably helps them figure out scheduling for people's shifts.

The due date I understand - and if they read on to even MORE info on the sheet - they realize the "insured" is my husband - not me. I wish I could just call it all in - pointless googling of employer addresses that even I don't need/use since I run a program myself and my boss deals with me out of her office and in mine.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

• Loading the player...
  • I was filling out my stuff too and they asked about household income? Who cares, I have insurance and my co pay will be paid. I left it blank along with social secruity numbers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's all just a matter of policy, but I agree that it can be annoying. Every time I go in to get blood work (at the same hospital where I'll be delivering), they ask me all of those exact same questions. I work as a substitute teacher, so I don't have insurance through my employer, nor do I have a set schedule, but they still want to know every time I go in. I think it's just easier for them to ask those same questions of everyone than to pick and choose who they ask. 

And yes, the religion questions and the living will questions are worst-case-scenario questions. If you're dying, they want to know who to contact. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • suck it up .. haha .. =]

image Visit The Nest!
    imageimage
  • My form made me laugh out loud.  It asked for:

- My Info

- Spouse's info (if applicable)

-Father's info (if different from spouse)

- Next of kin (if different from above)

I know we are all in different places in out lives and I am not passing judgment, it just made me wonder how many drafts of this form were made before patients stopped saying "Ummm, this form doesn't really apply to my situtation..."

• imageliberty95:

My form made me laugh out loud.  It asked for:

- My Info

I know we are all in different places in out lives and I am not passing judgment, it just made me wonder how many drafts of this form were made before patients stopped saying "Ummm, this form doesn't really apply to my situtation..."

So, uh... How many women marry their fathers in your state, and why is it not illegal???????? O_O

Another funny thing: My hospital's OB-specific pre-reg form asked for my sex. It's like, um. Really?? I'm pretty sure that that's completely unnecessary. Pregnant F-to-M transsexuals aren't exactly all that common, and I'm pretty sure you could figure it out by looking at the patient in question whether or not it applies!

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I got the employer, job title, and religion questions, but I also was asked my mothers maiden name which doesn't make sense to me... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At our hospital you get a visit ( unless you opt out) from a religious leader anytime you are admitted.  They ask for your denomenation or place of worship so someone familiar is sent. Also the church gets notified anytime someone lists them as place of worship so they can care for them even without the family or someone having to make the call.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pics-25untitled_zps5ec34838Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My pre-registration form asked for employer information, church and insurance stuff.

The employer information and DH's employer information is so that they can contact DH at work if necessary . . . if they needed to contact him if he didn't come in with me.

My hospital asks for the church information because they will notify my church if I desire that the LO is born. Not sure if all hospitals are that way . . . but that's what my form said.

Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's also possible that the outpatient and inpatient information aren't linked.  At the hospital where I work we ask for religious preference as well. If someone dies, we notify the chaplain and they come to  the room - same deal for next of kin. We had a patient who died and he refused to name a next of kin and we had nobody to notify. It was really sad.

• Pretty sure the fathers info is the father of the baby if not your spouse. You will get asked lots of questions for the birth certificate too like highest level of education and it's for statistical purposes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesoralette:
    imageliberty95:

My form made me laugh out loud.  It asked for:

- My Info

So, uh... How many women marry their fathers in your state, and why is it not illegal???????? O_O

Another funny thing: My hospital's OB-specific pre-reg form asked for my sex. It's like, um. Really?? I'm pretty sure that that's completely unnecessary. Pregnant F-to-M transsexuals aren't exactly all that common, and I'm pretty sure you could figure it out by looking at the patient in question whether or not it applies!

Father's info means father of the child.  

• I guess I have to consider myself lucky that our Pre-Reg form isn't asking a ton of unecessary info.  Ours is pretty basic, and our hospital is a Catholic Hospital with a chaplain on staff; who happens to also be the Father at the churh we attend and he also married us!

I have to agree with one of the earlier posts about maybe the inpatient and outpatient information does not speak to each other, therefore you need to provide information that you may have already given.

Just be glad that you aren't going to have to fill this info out when you are in labor when you get to the hospital...

Wink

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"