Breastfeeding

Has anyone ever conceived while breastfeeding?

DH and I have decided to try to conceive again (yes yes I know its soon I dont care lol).  I was just wondering what the chances are.  I want DS to get the best nutrition possible from breastfeeding but I would also like to conceive sooner rather than later.  Any advice?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers
TCC #1: 12/01/2010
BFP #1: 2/08/2011--EDD 10/21/2011--Beautiful Baby Boy Born 10/13/2011
TCC #2 01/01/2012
Cyst found in left ovary 11/10/2012 during ER visit for serve pain
Ultrasound conducted on 12/03/2012
GYN follow up 12/11/12 Suggested another 6 months of TTC before referral to RE around 5/01/2013.
No need for RE!!!! After 12 months I'm pregnant!
BFP #2: 1/13/2013 EDD: 09/25/2013

Re: Has anyone ever conceived while breastfeeding?

• I haven't, but lots of people have. It's less likely to happen while your baby is under 6 months and eating frequently all night. I would encourage you to wait until 6 months, and then perhaps work toward night weaning if your period hasn't returned.

Aside from the benefit to your baby to bf-ing, there is also a benefit to letting your body properly recover before you get pregnant again.

• I did when my middle daughter was 6 months old....and I have a friend who did when her daughter was about 8 months old, and she now nurses both of them!! Her 2 yr old and her 8 month old! Oh my! What a woman!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We did. But LO was 14 months old and we were only nursing about 3-4 short sessions a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did when DS was 18 months.  I had to cut back to nursing 3x/day at 14 months before I got my first cycle.  Also keep in mind that pregnancy hormones can hurt your milk supply.  We weaned when I was 15 weeks pregnant, partly because I had no milk left.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Born at 41 weeks: 8lbs 6.5oz, 21.5"

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Born at 38 weeks: 6lbs 9.5oz, 20"

My Blog
  • We decided to TTC when DD1 was 12mo, I didn't get a period until 16mo and didn't ovulate until 18mo......  turned out DD2's LMP was the week DD1 weaned.

I agree that it is less likely that you will be able to plan a pregnancy if you are BFing full time while your LO is <6mo and you haven't had a period, it's possible but lactational amenorrhea is listed as a contraceptive method for a reason.  But that doesn't mean you can't have some fun trying, just try not to get disappointed if it takes a while.

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, Boy! Breastfeeding with success!
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Definitely possible, I was on the mini pill for 20ish months and then got pregnant after stopping it. Never had a period between DS and this LO.
  • I just found out I'm pregnant (how far along TBD next week at u/s) and my LO is just over 7 months old and I have been EBF with the introduction of solids at 6 months.  I have no advice on *how*; I think we were very lucky. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker