September 2011 Moms

Not your normal travel questions

So we're planning a trip for when LO will be just shy of six months and I need some advice!  We will be flying Southwest from Atl to Tucson, AZ with a layover in Denver where we won't be getting off the plane.  We are renting a house, so there won't be a crib provided or anything.  We are tentatively planning on bringing the pack n play for him and just checking it.  Another option would be to just buy a cheapo out there and ship it home.  What do y'all think?

Also, we're bringing his car seat and are debating whether to check it when we get to the airport or check it at the gate.  I want to check it at the gate because I feel that there is less chance it'll get messed up. I'm looking at a backpack style carrier for it.

I know there's a few of you from AZ...any tips for Tucson?  We've been quite a few times and are always looking for new things to do or great Mexican restaurants to eat at. 

Any other travel advice? 

TIA! 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
"Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."
~Dr. Suess
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Not your normal travel questions

• I asked the very same question a few days ago.  Someone replies that there are places that rent baby equipment.  I actually reserved a PnP which will cost me all of 30$ for the week I'm there.  That's roughly  what it would cost me to ship it and then I don't have the hassle of carrying it around.  The rental places also rent different types of baby equipment from high chairs to exersaucers.  It might be worth a look.  I was pretty amazed that something like that even existed.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks!  I must have missed that post.  I'll check that out.

BTW, your Carter is as cute as mine! 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
    ~Dr. Suess
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • I live in Tucson :) I don't know of any baby rental places here, but I've never looked so they might be out there. I'll ask around and if anyone knows of anythig I'll let you know.

Have you eaten at La Parilla Suiza (ao) yet? Very good Mexican food. Can't think of any other places right now.....

ETA - I just googled and found a rental place
    https://sweetrepeatstucson.com/crib-rental/ (sorry no clicky, on phone)
    Crib for $45 for 4-7 days. Im actually going to go down there this weekend and look around, looks like a nice resale store and we need some new toys!
    DSC01615_zps7bdcc2d4 photo DSC01615_zps7bdcc2d4.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I can't help you much with the car seat questions or the AZ questions, BUT I brought my PNP to Japan with me since we are here for several months. It weighs 35 lbs, so I put the largest part in one suitcase and put clothes around it, and then the changing table/bassinet part I put in another suitcase. I brought it with me to Japan because I wasn't sure what the cost would be to get one here...... FWIW, it was sort of a hassle to pack it so if you could rent one that might be easier! GL and safe travels!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagekellyrs89:
    I live in Tucson :) I don't know of any baby rental places here, but I've never looked so they might be out there. I'll ask around and if anyone knows of anythig I'll let you know.

Have you eaten at La Parilla Suiza (ao) yet? Very good Mexican food. Can't think of any other places right now.....

ETA - I just googled and found a rental place
    https://sweetrepeatstucson.com/crib-rental/ (sorry no clicky, on phone)
    Crib for $45 for 4-7 days. Im actually going to go down there this weekend and look around, looks like a nice resale store and we need some new toys!

We ate at La Parilla Suiza when we went last year, but I had caught a cold and couldn't taste anything.  We'll have to go back and try it again this time.  My favorite is Guadalajara Grill on Prince.  I'm thinking about letting LO have his first taste of an Eegee!

I think we may just check the pack n play...I'm just worried it'll get broken. 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
    ~Dr. Suess
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I wouldn't ship it.  It would be cheaper to buy one and leave it there honestly.  I know we left our very small lightweight stroller at my dad's house one christmas and it was $70 to ship it back to us.  My dad ended up just buying us a new stroller and now we have one at his house if we need it.  A pnp is going to be heavier than that stroller is. 

We've checked our pnp several times and wrapped it in trash bags to keep it from getting dirty.  The trash bags have never even gotten torn, so I think it's fine to check.

I always gate check the stroller and car seat.  If the flight isn't full, they will let you have an extra seat, and then you can take the car seat on the plane and strap baby in.

Also, Southwest requires that you bring the birth certificate for any lap baby.  Be sure to not forget that!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a peapod by KidCo as our travel bed solution. C loves it! Fits in a suitcase.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagealison2379:
    I have a peapod by KidCo as our travel bed solution. C loves it! Fits in a suitcase.

We've looked at the peapods.  Which one do you have and where did you get it? 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
    ~Dr. Suess
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We've been on 3 flights with baby so far. Twice we counter-checked the carrier (the airline - United - bagged it for us). No damage at all. Once we gate checked, without a bag. Didn't get dirty, but the plastic on the handle came back knicked; otherwise it was fine.

I will counter check it again when we fly next weeked, because it's so much easier. Those things are kind of a pain to get through security, and DH will not be on this flight with me. Baby, diaper bag, and jet stroller are enough!!

Good luck and safe travels!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"