1st Trimester

Kombucha during pregnancy?

Does anyone know if it is safe to drink this during pregnancy? (I am finding conflicting information on the internet)

Re: Kombucha during pregnancy?

• I am a tea freak and have tons of organic teas w all kinds of herbs in them... etc.. doc said keep it simple, cinammon, chamomile etc. he said lay low or very little of crazy mixtures.  hope that helps.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are we talking home made stuff here? Are you making it or someone you know? Isn't it fermented. My guess is that it's going to wind up being a judgement call. I'd talk to your doctor and make your own decision after that.
  • Loading the player...
  • No, it isn't home made...I just get it at whole foods.  I figured it would probably be smartest to ask the doc! Thanks for your input!
  • Ok, yeah that makes sense! Thanks!
  • imageMnNsAngel:
    I am a tea freak and have tons of organic teas w all kinds of herbs in them... etc.. doc said keep it simple, cinammon, chamomile etc. he said lay low or very little of crazy mixtures.  hope that helps.

I have read conflicting information regading chamomile tea. 

Example:

Chamomile tea is an herbal tea, which means that it has no caffeine. However, the American Pregnancy Association states that there is not enough sufficient information available to determine if chamomile tea is safe during pregnancy. Babycenter mentions that chamomile may stimulate the uterus and cause miscarriage during early pregnancy. Due to the lack of information, you should only drink chamomile tea during pregnancy if your doctor recommends it.

Read more: https://www.livestrong.com/article/435177-is-chamomile-tea-safe-during-early-pregnancy/#ixzz1jO72H6fQ

Tim.demdexSubmit({pdata:[18109]});
    (function(){ if( !navigator.cookieEnabled || Tim.getCookie('_ls') === 'demdex'){ return; } var map = {'m12-17': 19270,'m18-24': 19253,'m25-34': 19254,'m35-44': 19255,'m45-54': 19256,'m55-64': 19257,'m65': 19258,'f12-17': 19271,'f18-24': 19259,'f25-34': 19260,'f35-44': 19261,'f45-54': 19262,'f55-64': 19263,'f65': 19264}, tags = document.getElementsByTagName('meta'), tag = ""; len = tags.length; while(len--){ tag = tags[len]; if(tag.name === "subpagetype" && tag.scheme === "DMINSTR2" && map.hasOwnProperty(tag.content)){ Tim.demdexSubmit({'pdata': [map[tag.content]]}); document.cookie = '_ls=demdex;domain=.' + document.domain.split('.').slice(-2).join('.') + ';path=/;expires=' + new Date(new Date().getTime() + 86400000).toUTCString(); } } }());
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So, here's my take on the whole kombucha thing during pregnancy (i have done a lot of research on it):

Basically, if you were a regular drinker before pregnancy it is fine to keep it up but if you don't normally drink it it is not a good idea because it has a detoxifying effect on the body that you do not want during pregnancy. Also, I woudn't drink homemade just because you don't know what the alcohol content is and you don't know that it isn't contaminated. I buy GT's Synergy Kombucha and really love it and I have continued to drink it during pregnancy. Some women even say that it makes them feel better from m/s although this has not been the case for me. I love the Gingerberry flavor and Trilogy. They are very good for you. Some people express concern over the alcohol content but if you are purchasing the store bought kind it is regulated and it is no more alcohol than you would get than from other fermented items in the store such as miso. It would be nice to ask a doctor that is actually familiar with what kombucha is about this but there aren't too many of them :).

• I have horrible IBS with constipation and when i got pregnant my intestines stopped all together. I had taken EVERYTHING  i could think of so i asked my doctor for help. He recommended kombucha. I bought the gel caps at the whole food store and they were a mircle! I had never in my life felt soo good. I took them off and on through out my whole first pregnancy, and plan on taking them off and on with this one too.
    BFP #1 03/2010 EDD 11/18/2010 DD born 11/03/2010 BFP #2 12/02/2011 CP on 12/05/2011 BFP #3 12/28/2011 EDD 09/10/2012 Missed mc @ 9w3d on 02/09/2012 D&C 03/06/2012 BFP #4 04/24/2012 EDD 01/02/2013 CP on 04/29/2012
  • Thanks for your response. I also love GT's Synergy Kombucha but hadn't been drinking it that much prior to my pregnancy. I plan on seeing if my doctor has any thoughts or suggestions on it as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"