February 2012 Moms
Options

Restrictions after c-section?

Hi ladies,

At my last appointment, my Dr said I'd have a growth u/s the end of this month, and based on those results, we'd discuss birth options, including c-section (baby has been huge the whole pregnancy). I'm not opposed to a c-section, nor am I sold on a particular type of birth experience as long as LO is safe, but I am concerned about recovery time and restrictions.  I'm an active person and pretty Type A, so I'm already a bit concerned about the normal postpartum restrictions.

For those who have had c-sections, how are the PP restrictions different than for a vaginal birth? One concern is that our house is 2 storys, and the nursery is upstairs while our room is downstairs (LO will be in a PnP for awhile at least). I heard somewhere that you can't even go upstairs after a c-section. Is this true or an exaggeration?

Any info you all have would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Re: Restrictions after c-section?

• Options
    I personally could not do stairs for the first week. I had a rough time getting out pf bed for the first 2 weeks! By the 3rd week I felt mostly normal and by a month I felt like myself. Not overdoing it is really important! I had a pretty good c/s recovery and have my fingers crossed it will go even better this time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hmm, I never thought about stairs.  I may need a c-sec and that could be a problem.  My house is two stories (well, three if you count the basement).  The bathroom and bedrooms are on the upper floor, but the kitchen and everything else is on the main floor.  I wonder what I'm going to do if I have a problem... I guess I can live in my bedroom until I need something to eat...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

C-Sections are hard on the body. I am not going to lie. You are cut open and its major surgery and you have to be careful afterward.

I was in pain afterward and they gave me pain meds. I don't have a 2 story house but I can see how climbing stairs could be hard to do. I would say try to stay on one level and have everything you need on that level.

You can only lift the baby and his/her weight is your limit. You can't even carry him or her in the car seat. My OB didn't want me to drive for at least 6 weeks after, although many woman on here say their OB said they could a whole lot sooner (like after a couple or so weeks).

You have to worry about not doing to much because you don't want the cut to open again. This goes for inside (the uterus) and the one outside. So housework and such needs to be left to someone else.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh i didn't think about stairs either!! I live in a 3 story Townhouse...all rooms on the 3rd floor and kitchen and all are on the 2nd...I may need a c-sec, b/c of BP issues and baby's size and other issues, but fingers crossed we can do natural!! Otherwise i'll be living on the 2nd floor on the couch..lol
  • Options
    No driving?? As much as I hate that task, it would be such a PITA if I wasn't able to drive for a few weeks after.  Really hope I don't have to get cut.
  • Options
    I think it has to do with the person as well. My sister had a C-section 3 weeks ago and we went out to eat last week and she opted to take the stairs, she asked me first I told her she was the one that had just been cut open LOL She lives in a single story house and you can tell she is sore walking around but overall she is doing great!
  • Options

I agree with the PP....with my daughter, I was told not to lift anything that was heavier than her and to take it easy.  I was sent home with pain meds and I believe only took them for 2 days post discharge, just because I don't care for the way I feel on pain meds.  I did take extra strength Tylenol and that helped quite a bit.

Don't over do it, even if you think 'oh, that's not heavy' or 'i can do this myself', because as stated from another poster the incision can open up.  Mine did, and I had to get home health care to come out 2x a day to clean and pack the incision.  I was expected to go back to work in 6 weeks, but instead was out the full 12 weeks because of it opening. 

Csections aren't all that bad, at all....in my opinion.  Just take it easy and remember although routine, its still major surgery, so be safe and ask for help.

HTH,

Heather

• Options
    No driving for 2 weeks and no lifting anything heavier than LO in an infant carrier. We have steps. The first few days were difficult but entirely doable. I slept in a recliner for about 5a days because laying wasn't comfortable. I put the bassinet next to the recliner and DH slept on the couch.
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Ooh, I didn't even think of that. Our bedrooms are on the 2nd story, as well. I think I could sleep in the living room with LO in a PnP if I needed to, though. We'll see what happens, I guess. Something else to think about...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Maybe I just got lucky with my first little one, but I really didn't have too tough a time after my c-section. 

We live in a two story home, too.  LO stayed in our room in a cradle for the first few months, though, so we didn't have a lot of up and down.  When we were ready to be upstairs for the night, my husband carried LO up the stairs and I followed.  We kept diapers/bottle supplies with us upstairs so we basically moved upstairs in the night hours.  In the morning, when I was ready to be downstairs for the day, my husband carried her back downstairs.  I really only remember the stairs being a challenge (and even then I just had to take it slow) the first few days home.

Now, all that said, I did not carry laundry around, lift things other than our LO, or do anything else even close to strenuous. 

My husband was home the first two weeks of LO's life.  We were okay to be on our own by the time he returned to work. 

• Options
    I live in a two story house, and I was climbing the stairs after I got released, so four days after the c/s. I was cleared to drive after I was off of my pain meds by my Doctor. You do have to take it easy; but by the time I left the hospital I was doing okay. A tummy binder definitely helped make me feel more ''supported''... not sure how its going to be this time around since I've got two toddlers who are used to being hugged, picked up and loved. Ugh. Definitely take it easy and have someone around to help you once you get home from the hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"