June 2011 Moms
Options

Sound machine: when will you stop using yours?

We still use a sound machine (white noise) in DD's room. I think it helps her sleep and blocks out noise, like the dog barking at deer in the back yard :-P When will you stop using yours in LOs room? Is there any reason to stop by a certain age? DH and I still use one in our room.

Re: Sound machine: when will you stop using yours?

• Options
    Maybe when she is 2? I've babysat toddlers with them. I don't think it is a big deal. When she is in my room, I use the bathroom fan.
  • Options
    Not anytime soon.  When we were traveling over the holidays, we forgot it.  J woke up all night long.  I finally downloaded a white noise app on my phone and he slept the rest of the night.  I might try at 18 months or 2 years, but I am in no hurry to get rid of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in no hurry either.  DS is a light sleeper and always has been so white noise has been a savior for us.  My family is on my case about it and saying he should be able to learn to sleep with household noise b/c what happens when I have more kids but my thought is - it's working now.  No need to change a good thing. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have the humidifier on at all times and have since DD was born.  That works great and we have a sound machine that only stays on for 45 minutes.  I'm not sure what we will do when we don't need the humidifier anymore.  We'll still turn the sound machine on for 45 minutes, but I guess that will be our test to see if we need constant noise. DD doesn't usually get awakened by noise anyway since she naps at daycare and we live on a pretty busy street, so she hears it all day.

• Options
    imageamypogg6:

We have the humidifier on at all times and have since DD was born.  That works great and we have a sound machine that only stays on for 45 minutes.  I'm not sure what we will do when we don't need the humidifier anymore.  We'll still turn the sound machine on for 45 minutes, but I guess that will be our test to see if we need constant noise. DD doesn't usually get awakened by noise anyway since she naps at daycare and we live on a pretty busy street, so she hears it all day.

Our sound machine has this option so maybe when I think she is ready, we can set it for 30 minutes or something like that and see what happens? I like that idea. And DD also naps at DC but they are a joke! Like 30 minutes max. So I'm not sure if that's from the noise of the other kiddos or because she just is a crappy napper. I'm going to keep using the sound machine!

• Options
    I haven't really thought about it.  Before we started using one (I didn't get one until Stella was about 4 months I think), a couple DH is friends with came over for a visit.  They still use a sound machine for their children (maybe 2 and 4?).  Apparently if they sneak in to turn it off, it results in an instantly awake kid.  That would be my luck.
  • Options

imageBrandySun:
    I haven't really thought about it.  Before we started using one (I didn't get one until Stella was about 4 months I think), a couple DH is friends with came over for a visit.  They still use a sound machine for their children (maybe 2 and 4?).  Apparently if they sneak in to turn it off, it results in an instantly awake kid.  That would be my luck.

Ack! That's no good. Maybe there is nothing wrong with using a sound machine for your entire childhood :-D I'm certainly addicted to mine!

• Options
    imagesuzieq413:

imageBrandySun:

Ack! That's no good. Maybe there is nothing wrong with using a sound machine for your entire childhood :-D I'm certainly addicted to mine!

I always had to have music on when going to sleep...could never sleep in a totally quiet room...and this carried into adulthood. 

• Options
    I used a radio and we quite using it months ago. I went on a weaning kick after she started STTN. I wanted to know what it was that kept her STTN. I just started taking things away to see if anything changed. The radio was not necessary apparently.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NEVER.  It's magical.  We actually don't have a sound machine...I just put a white noise channel on Pandora via my phone and leave that in her room until we go to bed. 
  • Options

We used the Sleep Sheep (which turned off after 45 mins) but we kind of stopped using it when we started sleep training about a month ago. We still use it occasionally, but I don't think LO *needs* it.

Actually, I was lying in bed last night myself thinking I wish I had the Sleep Sheep with me Embarrassed

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    When we went to PA for the holidays, we took the white noise machine and the humidifier.  I even downloaded one on my ipad just in case!
  • Options
    Hmm, haven't thought about it. Maybe we'll try getting rid of it when he's a toddler and just see how he does? I use white noise for myself to stay asleep, so I guess I don't find it to be that big of a deal. If he needs it forever, I think I'm ok with that. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Our white noise machine is a shower radio set to static. It works wonders! We've been using it since DS was about a month old. I dont see us getting rid of it anytime soon. Our neighbors aren't the quietest (new word!) people, so it helps a lot!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    No one else will ever know the strength of my LOVE for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside <3 <br> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married to the Milk Man
  • Options

Probably never! DH and I use a fan to provide white noise while we sleep. I didn't like how the Sleep Sheep turned off after 45 min, so I put the Sharper Image sound Soother in DD's room. It stays on all night. Maybe it's a sleep crutch, but I don't care.

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ferber's book suggested to get rid of it when sleep training.  His justification was that they need to learn to fall asleep with regular city/country/wherever you live sounds.

Being that my husband can't seem to fall asleep without the radio or television on and it drives me insane because I can't fall asleep if there is background noise on I didn't want to give her another sleep association.

We do still use it for naps since I don't want the dogs barking to wake her from a nap.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"