1st Trimester
Options

To Sudafed or not?

Hi ladies!  I am new to this board (this time around).  My doctor said Sudafed is okay.  However, the information I've found online says it's more recommended after the 1st trimester is over.  I am MISERABLE with what looks like a sinus infection, and my doctor is closed today.  What have your doctors said about sudafed at this stage?  I really want to get some for today, but there was SO MUCH drama right off the bat with this pregnancy that I remain scared to jeopardize it (even though the doctor said it's all okay now).  However, I can barely breathe, which can't be good for either of us...
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: To Sudafed or not?

• Options

I just got iff the phone w my dr and they said no Sudafed or cough suppressants in the 1st trimester.  I'm so bummed. She did say to come in or go to my general dr and they could maybe prescribe antibiotics.  

Good luck to you. This cold sucks.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ugh.  Did they say why?  Others have told me their doctors said it's ok.  All OBs should get on the same page!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For me, I haven't taken any medication besides prenatal.  I don't want to risk it.  My OB is very anit-meds in the first tri.  Some stuff you can do to get some relief that isn't medicine would be to get a Neti Pot.  You put sea salt in it and it works great for congestion and sinus infections.  You can also get a spray version if the idea of water up your nose freaks you out.  My OB told me to suck on hard candies to help with a sore throat.  That's all I can remember at the moment.  Good luck!  I know how bad it sucks!!
  • Options

Sudafed is fine. My OB said it is fine. You will also find in most pregnancy books they say sudafed is safe to use. I've used a Neti Pot in the past, but recent research has shown that it can cause some kind of brain virus.

Feel better!

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    I'm suffeRing through the sinus thing too. I don't plan on taking anything and if I wasn't so exhausted, I would go get a Neti-pot. Just be sure if you get one you use distilled water, there's been some deaths lately due to bad water.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Hello. :-) I asked my Doc the same thing last week. I am just getting over a chest cold... My Doc said yes to Sudafed but not the D version! She also said that Saline spray, Robatussin is ok but not DM. Cepacol is also ok. Feel better soon! I didn't end up taking anything because my symptoms got better fast. She also said that Vic Vapor Cream is ok as long as it's used on your chest :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice ladies!  That's interesting about Sudafed vs the D medications.  My OB has sudafed on the ok list, but I'm still nervous yet miserable.  I think I will take 1 to get through the day until my doctor's office opens tomorrow.  Thanks!
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:

Have you tried taking a shower or sitting in the bathroom with a hot shower running? That can provide some relief as well.

If it is truly a sinus infection, Sudafed isn't the proper treatment anyway. You will likely need antibiotics.

I'm at work so I can't do that.  :(  My doctor's office is closed today, so just needing relief today until I can get in.  I'm asthmatic, so breathing problems from sinuses often lead to bigger problems.  I gota sudafed, and the box sayd to take 2, so I only took 1.  We will see if it helps!

• Options
    As others have said, the Neti Pot is great, as long as you use distilled or previously boiled water, The Neti Pot itself, or the use of it, does NOT cause any sort of illness; what CAN cause something is the water used, if it's contminated. So, distilled, or just boil and then cool your water.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    I have a netipot.  The problem is when I'm 100% clogged, like today, it can't get through.  The sudafed helped a little, but not completely.  Maybe that will be enough for a netipot or steamy shower to be effective when I get home.
  • Options

UPDATE: Went to the doctor and of course have a sinus infection.  I'm on antibiotics now (amoxicillan).  Doctor said sudafed is okay, but since it wasn't helping hardly at all I didn't take any more. 

However, at the pharmacy I found a saline nasal GEL (rather than a spray, so it lasts longer), and that seems to be helping!  It's not a cure of course, but making it bearable (sp?) until the antibiotic does its thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"