3rd Trimester
Options

what is going on with my stomach....... first baby

as many of you know,... this is our first baby.  I am 37 weeks and 4 days today.  During the last week i have had some pretty painful occurences in my lower stomach that feel like intense menstral cramps.... I have also had braxton hicks contractions.... which do not hurt, but feel like a tight sensation.  These painful occurences last anywhere from 1 minute to 3 minutes and do not happen in any order or succession.  Just random.  For examle... i had one on last saruday morning.... tuesday mornings and tonight.  my question to you ladies is, are they real contractions?  What does this mean for my preparation for labor?  Should i be concerned that i am getting close?  Please help, i am rather nervous.  as i mentioned, i was 4 cm dialted on the outside and 1cm in the center as of monday of this week.  my amniotic fluid is normal high at 18cm and mackenzie is measuring a week ahead.  Any advice is always apprecaited.

Re: what is going on with my stomach....... first baby

• Options

The cramping could just be how baby is laying. DS can lay certain ways and it hurts to even sit up out of bed.  It could also be that he/she has moved down into the birthing canal. 

As far as the braxton hicks, I would take it easy and watch yourself over the next couple of weeks. They are different for every woman. With me when I was prego with DD, I had BH contractions and exactly a week later she was born  I was 38 weeks exactly). So those are just mainly to get your body ready for delivery and to help endure the real contractions when they come.  

Don't stress over it too much though. Like I said it's different for everyone. The sign that I was giong to labor was that I was in a really good 'feel good' mood.  I shaved my legs and things the night before. Got up and went and got a pedicure with a friend. Then I started noticing I was having a few contractions. BH. Then later on that night went to bed and woke up with painful contractions at 2:15 am. I thought they were gas pains. I had alot of pressure in my back, like I was trying to pass gass or have a bowel movement. They lasted for a few minutes at first. I went back to bed and about 5 min later I had another one. (we live around 3-5 min from the hospital) so by the time they got me registered and upstairs to check my weight, when I stood up from the wheelchair my water broke. 

So if you have any of those symptoms be aware. I hope that things go well for you. Just remember to try and take it easy and don't get yourself stressed out. GL!

Wedding Countdown Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think it sounds like you're going to have a baby in the next few weeks!  :)  The problem with all these pre-labor symptoms is that they could go on for weeks, or you could go into labor tomorrow!  I am already having braxton hicks contractions randomly and I'm only 28 weeks... but this is my 4th baby.  I think the best thing to do is just relax and try not to worry about it... people always want to know how will I KNOW i'm in labor... trust me, you will know!!  The contractions will hurt!!  And they will keep coming  - you won't be able to fall asleep if they are real contractions.   I really think your body goes into labor best when you can just relax about it... do things you want to do!  You won't have this much freedom for awhile :)

Plus, most first time moms go late - so you probably have a few weeks left!! Good luck!!! Heather 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

i truly hope that i have it in the next few weeks.. haha. i dont think i could take any more of these pains.  My feet already look like vienna sausages and i waddle like a wooden toy soldier with the windup in the back.  I am somewhat hopeing i go into labor before the new year.  Not only would that put me not going back to work for the next school term (im a teacher), it would also provide a nice ending to a great xmas break. 

My friend who is 2 days ahead of me in pregnancy, has not had a contraction yet... kind of interesting.  She is due on the 10th of Jan.  Everyone that sees me says i wont make it until my due date.  I hope they are right, any thoughts?  Anything i can do to help this along? 

• Options
    imageTmartin1124:

i truly hope that i have it in the next few weeks.. haha. i dont think i could take any more of these pains.  My feet already look like vienna sausages and i waddle like a wooden toy soldier with the windup in the back.  I am somewhat hopeing i go into labor before the new year.  Not only would that put me not going back to work for the next school term (im a teacher), it would also provide a nice ending to a great xmas break. 

My friend who is 2 days ahead of me in pregnancy, has not had a contraction yet... kind of interesting.  She is due on the 10th of Jan.  Everyone that sees me says i wont make it until my due date.  I hope they are right, any thoughts?  Anything i can do to help this along? 

I feel you there. The majority of my pregnancy has been fairly easy and I often wondered why women reported so many aches and pain (that I wasn't experiencing) throughout their pregnancies. I think my body just saved them all up for now, the last month! :) I wake up every night with pains very similar to what you describe, up and down throughout my stomach and shooting up my spine. Some nights have been easier than others.

It will all be over soon, hang it there! Your friends who think you won't make it until your due date could be right. I think the best thing is to try not to stress too much about actually going into labor, and try to give your body lots of rest, stay hydrated, and have a collection of your favorite movies on hand in case you get bored chilling around the house.

I've noticed much less cramping and pains by reducing my activity level to a nill...I'm not sue until the end of Jan, and hope my little one cooks a little longer. I suppose you could work closer to labor by doing the opposite & walking more frequently throughout the day.  

Congrats, good luck, you'll make it through this before you know it! :)  

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"