April 2012 Moms
Options

Travel System vs. Convertible Car Seat

I am struggling to make the decision as to which one is best.

Please feel free to offer up your thoughts/opinions.

I like the idea of the ease of the carseat to the stroller with the travel system. However, the practical side of me says the convertible car seat lasts longer so that's the way to go.  They just seem so large to bring the baby home in.

Thanks in advance!  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Travel System vs. Convertible Car Seat

• Options

I may be wrong, but it seems like you are comparing apples and oranges here.

Travel system = Infant car seat + stroller

Convertible car seat = a car seat that can face both foward and rear.  These usually have a weight limit of 5-40ish pounds.  These car seats also have to remain in your car and are not easy to get in and out of it so you won't be taking it out to take LO into the grocery store or something.

Infant carseat - usually has a weight limit of 5-25ish pounds.  These exclusively (I think) have the base that you can leave in the car and then snap the seat in.  These are great for when your baby is small and can't sit up on their own to sit in a shopping cart and it's also great because you don't have to wake a sleeping baby to take them out of the car.

You will likely need an infant seat, a convertible, and a stroller.  The travel system is usually just a infant car seat and a stroller that you could buy seperately but if you buy them together you get them a bit cheaper than buying the two pieces individually.

HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

There are several posts on the "Nurseries and Baby Gear" board about choosing infant seats vs. convertible seats.

FWIW, we prefer to go straight to a convertible. My SIL is giving us her infant seat for free though so we'll use that, but we are not getting an infant seat adapter for our stroller (the City Mini). If she wasn't giving us her infant seat to use, we wouldn't be buying one ourselves.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd get the travel system now and then later on get a convertible. I didn't need a convertible for my DD until she was a year. 
  • Options
    We registered for a car seat that has a matching stroller, so it's sort of like a travel system, but doesn't have a label of a travel system.
    Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like to have the infant seat, and a stroller to click it into personally. It doesn't need to be a travel system. We went with an infant seat that had a high weight limit, 35 pounds. We didn't need to buy a convertible until after a year and we still use the infant seat since DS is still under the weight and height limit for it as the second carseat, but will use it for the new LO.

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• Options
    These aren't even close to the same. I do prefer an infant seat to start out with over a convertible though
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    There have been several posts in the past about this. I wouldn't go straight to a convertible for several reasons. One, despite their weight ratings Tiny newborns do not fit in most convertibles very well, an infant seat is much more appropriate and they look tiny in that! Also in the winter an infant seat is much easier to keep baby protected from the elements without using unsafe jackets, you can buckle baby in and cover them with balnkets or the shower cap style cover that is much safer. Besides the convenience of bringing a tiny sleeping baby in and out of places, to use in restaurants etc
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your input.  I think we will start with the infant car seat which we will buy as the travel system and when it's needed upgrade to the convertible car seat.  I really appreciate all your help!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"