Parenting

Discuss- iPod Touch for a 5 year old

I just can't get on board with this.  I know A would love it but I also think that if you start getting kids "grown up" electronic devices now what are you going to do in two or five or ten years?  I don't think they are responsible enough to take care of it and I don't think that A has any concept of money and how much things cost. 

Re: Discuss- iPod Touch for a 5 year old

• I definitely wouldn't buy my 5 year old an iPod Touch. I would buy something similar that's much, much cheaper and more kid friendly. 
  • We debated about this too. DD will be 7 in March. It's the only thing she asked for. She's in speech therapy at school and she uses in iPad in her speech class. So that helped our decision. She's going to have rules for it. Her younger siblings can't use it. She needs to give it to us when she's done with it, she has to ask us to use it and she can't take it to school. We have a tablet that she loves using and DH and I both have smartphones and she whizzes around on those all the time. So I know she'll love the iPod, it was a tough decision to make though. She's convinced Santa is going to bring it for her. We keep telling her that it's a lot of money, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • We got our almost 12 year old son one for Christmas.  I wouldn't even consider it for Allison
  • DD is 4.5 and getting my old iPhone for Christmas (stripped down, no cell service).  I thought about selling it, but then I'd get her one of the leap pad things that are around $150.  It seemed like a big hassle to save $50 and pay more for the games.  

I don't think I would have been able to buy her a new one though.  I'm too cheap ;) 

• When we upgraded from iPhone 3G to the 4, we gave our old phones w/o service to our 2 & 4 yo. to listen to as an ipod and play angry birds. After a few weeks, we took them away b/c they became obsessed and wouldn't play with anything else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have an iPod touch that our 5 & 3 year old play with constantly.  It is filled with kid-approrpriate apps, most of which are learning-based games. I think it's a great option for a young kid.  It will grow with them more than a LeapPad or DS game will. Plus there's not a big difference in price between a LeapPad and the iPod.  I bet the iPod eventually is the cheaper choice when you factor in the costs of the LeapPad games vs free iPod apps.    

As for my kids, they certainly don't have any concept of money & how much things cost (well, the 5 year old is starting to get it), but to me the price shouldn't matter because I expect them to treat all their toys with respect, even the dollar store ones. 

• I disagree.  I don't think an iPod is any more "grown-up" than other devices meant for young children; it is completely dependent on the content.  I'd much rather give them something that can grow with them and for which apps are around $1.99, rather than a device they will outgrow within a year or two, and that rope you into purchasing additional costly cartridges and/or books that can be lost or damaged.  The range of apps is so much larger, as well, the graphics are better and the device itself is just so much more versatile.  

• I completely agree with the 2 previous posts.  I would much rather buy an iPod than a LeapPad or something like that.  There are so many fabulous educational apps for children that are much cheaper than the games for other educational toys (Leap Frog, Vtech).  In the long run, the iPod would most likely be cheaper. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAggieCouple:

I disagree.  I don't think an iPod is any more "grown-up" than other devices meant for young children; it is completely dependent on the content.  I'd much rather give them something that can grow with them and for which apps are around $1.99, rather than a device they will outgrow within a year or two, and that rope you into purchasing additional costly cartridges and/or books that can be lost or damaged.  The range of apps is so much larger, as well, the graphics are better and the device itself is just so much more versatile.  

Thiss!!! I totally regret getting ds a stupid leap pad should have bought him a touch. And I laughed about what will you buy them when they are older? Trust me there will always be new technology 
  • I also think it is a MUCH better investment then a leap pad. Like Aggie said it is so much more versatile and will grow with them. I've sunk 150 into games for his explorer, plus the camera, the charger, the case, the explorer itself. With the touch I can download a new game for free or for a dollar or 2. 

• When my DS was five, he bought himself an older model iPhone from a friend for fifty dollars. So, actually it did give him some concept of saving and cost. He uses it like s Touch and I three with the other posters that I would rather get him something that grows with him. Right now, the apps he has are mostly free, or cost a dollar or so. So much better than any Leap product or even DS games. They're also mostly educational, with some Angry Birds thrown in. He's had it for almost a year and has never lost it or anything. Honestly, I look at the LeapEd and it seems way too banish for him. That said, would I spend the money on a brand new Touch? I'm not sure...
  • this is all my 6.5 year old DS asked for.  My biggest concern was that he was not responisble enought to take care of it properly, always know where it was, not leave it places, etc.  We tested him with an old phone for 2 weeks and he did a good job.  We were still not sure about spending that much money, but like others have said, he will grow out of a leap pad and is already probably too big for it.

Everything always works out, and my dad upgraded to an ipad and offered to give ds his old ipod touch....so we said OK, as long as it was given to him with direction that it was to share with everyone.  (DH and I don't use smart phones, totally behind the time, and we don't have an mp3 player....yeah still totally old school)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldnt buy any kind of personal technology for a 5 year old. We have an iPhone and ipad that our kids (4.5 and 2.5) play on very occasionally. I have nothing against the cost or the fragility, but I really dislike how focused on screen time my kids get and prefer for them to play in more active, creative ways right now. I know if they got the devices we would have to limit the time on them and it would be a battle. They don't know yet to ask for those kind of things and I'd rather not introduce it. I'm sure they will eventually get i-whatevers, but I want to extend the time without for as long as possible.
  • Noah is getting one, as are my 3 nieces.  Noah's was my husband's though.  We bought it years ago and he does not use it very much.  We just had to buy a new case for it.  My sister had some Amazon credit she had never used and then we found a good deal on them.  She paid about $150 for them.  Not much more than the Leapfrog touch when you factor in games.... I do get what you are saying though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cam's getting one for Christmas.  She's 5.5.

By a stroke of luck, I spent as much on it as a Leappad.  But even at $200, I still would have got it.  FWIW, we don't put monetary labels on their items -- and I love that.  I'm dreading the day when they get the concept of money.  Right now, possessions are possessions, regardless of cost.  They are to be treated with respect and taken care of.  That's not to say I don't say things like "That is expensive!  Put that on the charger!"  Like I did this morning to Joey about his.  But he still doesn't get what "expensive" is.  He needs to treat ALL things with respect and care, regardless of cost.

As for in "two years or five years or ten years" --- there is ALWAYS going to be something new coming.  Technology is moving at lightning speed.  What is popular today will be obselete by next Christmas.  Replaced with the latest and greatest.  I'm certainly not going to be concerned with running out of things to buy them!  :)

But you know your kid best.  I know that Cam will take care of it.  She will (over the top) appreciate it (she doesn't even have it on her radar since I told her she can't have one until she is 7.  She didn't even ask for one.  She's going to be SO shocked -and SO excited.  I can't wait!).  She isn't as careful with her stuff as Joey is, but I will stay on top of it.  If they aren't using it, it needs to be on/near the charger.  He has an iHome clock radio/charger in his room on his shelf.  I got her an iHome lamp (or Santa did) with charger that I will put on her nightstand.

It's totally a personal choice.  I spent $52 taking them to the damn movies a couple weekends ago.  EVERYTHING costs money!

• I currently have an itouch, but DD plays with it most of the time. We are supposedly getting an ipad2 with our new car when we pick it up, so we will likely let DD have the itouch then. We obviously haven't told her yet. We would definitely get her an otterbox case for it, and it never leaves our car when we go places, so I am not too worried about her losing it.

Prior to this, my aunt had offered to send DD her old iphone to use as well. 

My DD isn't even 4 yet.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yea, and lastly, momma wants her damn phone back!  :)  The second I walk in the door, Cam says "Mom, can I use your phone!?"  Ugh.  Back off my phone girl!  LOL
  • Bought used iPod touches on Craigslist for my kids last year who were (almost) 3 and 6 y/o at the time. No regrets. Spent far less than some silly LeapPad that the kids will outgrow and require $20 games. Instead we spent $10 on a decent case and they have mostly free apps. When we travel they can easily be tucked into a pocket and carried aboard an airplane, get decent battery life, can be loaded with a few movies, etc.

It's been a full year and neither of the iPods have been lost or even so much as a scratch on them.  Actually, we're getting ready to upgrade ds' iPod: dh and I have new iPhones, so we're giving an old one to the ds and selling his iPod Touch. The iPhoneswill function the same as the iPod but with the added bonus of a camera. The best part? We can sell his old iPod for just about what we paid for it last year so we're not even out any money.

Would I spend the money on a brand-new one for a kid? No, I wouldn't, but when you can buy a good used one for $65? Hell yes. Way better use of money than a LeapPad, IMO. 

• I would never spend that kind of money for an iPod touch for a 5 yo.  That being said, when i got a new iphone last year, we let Ethan have my old one to play games with and to listen to music.  He's very responsible with it, but regardless, I can't fathom spending that kind of $$ on a gadget for a kid that age.
  • imagecjcouple:

I'm with you OP. I would prefer my 5yo be constructive with the majority of his time than to spend it on video games, ipods and computers.  I am not saying my DS does not do any of those things now but why spend hundreds of dollars on a device we will have to limit to such a short amount of time in a day?  What a waste of money!! I would rather he go and "play" with real toys just now. There is plenty of time to buy this stuff when he is older. I don't understand why everyone has the need to rush into these things? 

I posted on FB that I needed some gift ideas for my 2.5yo for christmas. Someone actually said ipad?  Are you serious?  Why the hell would my 2yo need an ipad? So he can be glued to a screen? These people who constantly have to have their small children busy in the car, in the doctor's office, at church etc drive me crazy!!  Teach your kid how to behave without a device stuck in front of their noses. If I honestly had to give my kids electronic devices to be comfortable in my car for a small 1 hour drive, I would feel like a failure as a parent!  

I am not a perfect parent but this new craze that is going on right now is nuts.  

FYI - they aren't mutually exclusive.  Joey's gift this year are a pogo stick, skateboard and (albiet electric) scooter.  My mom got the kids a basketball hoop.  The iPod Touch is just one other thing for them to do.  It's not the ONLY thing!  Duh!

• imagecjcouple:

I'm with you OP. I would prefer my 5yo be constructive with the majority of his time than to spend it on video games, ipods and computers.  I am not saying my DS does not do any of those things now but why spend hundreds of dollars on a device we will have to limit to such a short amount of time in a day?  What a waste of money!! I would rather he go and "play" with real toys just now. There is plenty of time to buy this stuff when he is older. I don't understand why everyone has the need to rush into these things? 

I posted on FB that I needed some gift ideas for my 2.5yo for christmas. Someone actually said ipad?  Are you serious?  Why the hell would my 2yo need an ipad? So he can be glued to a screen? These people who constantly have to have their small children busy in the car, in the doctor's office, at church etc drive me crazy!!  Teach your kid how to behave without a device stuck in front of their noses. If I honestly had to give my kids electronic devices to be comfortable in my car for a small 1 hour drive, I would feel like a failure as a parent!  

I am not a perfect parent but this new craze that is going on right now is nuts.  

Wow. 

My DD loves to play it in the car. FYI, I do not feel like a failure as a parent.

• imagecjcouple:

Really?  A failure for letting your child play with an electronic device in the car for an hour long car ride?   

Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Get an iPod or don't get an iPod, I really don't care either way. Whatever works for you. Just saying, somehow despite having iPods my kids can still manage to play with Legos for HOURS a day, survive a one hour drive without it and still find time for chess club, pottery class, birdwatching, nature classes, ice skating lessons, dressing up baby dolls, ride bikes, play in the sandbox and all sorts of other things without it.

Getting an iPod doesn't automatically mean that a kid does nothing else with his time other than sit there with his face glued to a screen.

• I wouldn?t buy one because I don?t like buying toys I have to limit. We have a TV and a computer for stuff like that already, and we have a portable DVD player for long car rides when we need it. That?s plenty for us, and I really don?t need to hear any whining about wanting to play with it. I?m sure some of you have kids who won?t whine when they don?t get to use it, but I know my kid ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecjcouple:

Wow.  I'll never understand someone who gets their panties in such a bunch about what other people choose for thier kids.  Failure as a parent?  Really?  Confused

• ITA with Wellfleet. DD used to use DH's iPhone all the time. We had to limit her time on it because it was like tv for her, total brain rot. She gets to play games on it at night only, and that's after dinner, any homework or other chores are done. If another 5 yr old is responsible and behavior doesn't go sour by using it, I don't see any issue w/ it. I think fragile gifts of any kind are totally kid dependent. Be it a $100 AG doll, iPad, RC cars/airplanes, iFreakingWhatever, etc. DD is a brute and I'd never buy her a personal electronic device because I know she won't treat it well.

We do use it out at dinner when DS  (20 months) can't sit still anymore but we aren't done. I guess that's a parenting fail, but I don't care. I'd rather have him watching dump trucks on YouTube for 20 min than screaming. Fail away!

DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • veloelle - the people eating next to you thank you!  ;)

They might judge you on a parenting board, but they thank you! 

• Curious CJ -- do you give your kids ANYTHING in church to keep them occupied?  Or do they sit there like little angels for the 45-60 minutes?  I mean, I see ALL kinds of things...the hymn books, cheerios, a book, etc etc etc.  It's all meant to appease the child so they don't cause a scene in Church.  Now I don't go often, but when I do, I VERY rarely see a child (under 8) just sitting there -- paying attention, nice and quiet - without SOME version of a distraction.  Some just choose electronics.  My MIL chooses food (goldfish, cheerios, etc).  GeeGee chooses food or a book or her purse or gum or cough drops or....

I, personally, have let Joey use the DS in Church for his cousin's Communion.  It was WAY more important to me that he NOT be a disruption to the service than it is to worry about thatbitch two people down from me that is turning her nose up at my kids DS.

• My 5yo is getting a Touch and my 2 yo is getting a leap pad-- I'll never have to interact with them again. Wheeeee!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Well, he wasn't 7 at the time.  He was 4.5.  So yes, I do think he could have been disruptive.  I make him shake hands, (I don't send him up to get blessed but that's a personal decision).  I do make him participate as well.

So basically, you think you are better than me (or other parents) because you use soft toys, books and food as distractions versus something electronic?  I have a few places you can stick that idea FWIW!  You are no better, just different!

• How is a quiet toy, book or stuffed animal any different than a small, quiet electronic toy? Regardless of whether my kid is reading a book or doing a crossword puzzle on his iPod he's still not paying attention or participating.

FWIW, I personally would avoid any of the above in a church for fear of seeming disrespectful, but then again, I also avoid church in general. Problem solved. Embarrassed

• "Really I am ok with you judging me for NOT allowing my kids to be disrespectful"

Yea, because THAT is what this is about!  I don't allow my children to be disrespectful either.  And no one is judging you for that.  I'm judging you because you think your way is better than mine.  You think you are better because your article of distraction is not electronic!  Welcome to 2011 and get over yourself!  Seriously!

• imageCleoKitty:

How is a quiet toy, book or stuffed animal any different than a small, quiet electronic toy? Regardless of whether my kid is reading a book or doing a crossword puzzle on his iPod he's still not paying attention or participating. 

I would also like to know this. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecjcouple:
    Again, church was another example about how disengaged some kids are with these devices.  I see it everywhere.  My kids are involved in church but this isn't even about my kids vs others. Again they are far from perfect. It is very different when you have children completely disengaged in social settings. i.e. church, parties, when yu have visitors in your home. 

This is not something I actively seek out.  I don't look around to see whose kids are doing what. But when I walk into a place and say hello to your child and they cannot even acknowledge they have been spoken to they is absolutely disrespectful and very rude.

Am I really the only person who sees this disengaged behavior everywhere?

Maybe? 

Myself? I don't see it. I've never been to a party where an iPod or Nintendo DS has made an appearance. I've not been a guest in someone's home where the kid was glued to a hand-held electronic device. Off the top of my head, I can't recall a time when I was not acknowledged by a child because they were playing a game (not counting my little brother with autism, totally different thing.)  I've never seen an electronic babysitter at a school function. I didn't notice any at ds' choir concert last week.

I do notice them on airplanes, in doctor waiting rooms, and when we're sitting in a hallway for an hour while we wait for ds to finish choir rehearsal or sitting on the bleachers with a sibling during a 45 minute long soccer practice. All perfectly appropriate uses for such a thing, IMO.

• imagewellfleet04:
    I wouldnt buy any kind of personal technology for a 5 year old. We have an iPhone and ipad that our kids (4.5 and 2.5) play on very occasionally. I have nothing against the cost or the fragility, but I really dislike how focused on screen time my kids get and prefer for them to play in more active, creative ways right now. I know if they got the devices we would have to limit the time on them and it would be a battle. They don't know yet to ask for those kind of things and I'd rather not introduce it. I'm sure they will eventually get i-whatevers, but I want to extend the time without for as long as possible.

I feel the same way as wellfleet, veloelle and augustmom.

My boys have a Leapster that they play with occassionally, so I am not against electronic devices, but I rather not introduce anything else, especially since they aren't asking for it.  One day they will and I'll get them something, but for now, I'd rather not deal with it.  The few times I have let them play with my pone, they've become glued to it and asked for it nonstop everytime we went somewhere.  I can just see a lot of battles if they had something cooler than their old Leapster to play with.

ETA:  I see that I should read all the replies before I stuck my boring opinion in the middle of this debate! 

DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • imageCleoKitty:
    imagecjcouple:
    Again, church was another example about how disengaged some kids are with these devices.  I see it everywhere.  My kids are involved in church but this isn't even about my kids vs others. Again they are far from perfect. It is very different when you have children completely disengaged in social settings. i.e. church, parties, when yu have visitors in your home. 

This is not something I actively seek out.  I don't look around to see whose kids are doing what. But when I walk into a place and say hello to your child and they cannot even acknowledge they have been spoken to they is absolutely disrespectful and very rude.

Maybe? 

Myself? I don't see it. I've never been to a party where an iPod or Nintendo DS has made an appearance. I've not been a guest in someone's home where the kid was glued to a hand-held electronic device. Off the top of my head, I can't recall a time when I was not acknowledged by a child because they were playing a game (not counting my little brother with autism, totally different thing.)  I've never seen an electronic babysitter at a school function. I didn't notice any at ds' choir concert last week.

I do notice them on airplanes, in doctor waiting rooms, and when we're sitting in a hallway for an hour while we wait for ds to finish choir rehearsal or sitting on the bleachers with a sibling during a 45 minute long soccer practice. All perfectly appropriate uses for such a thing, IMO.

I don't either. 

Like the pp, I see them in all the places that people would normally b*tch about kids being too loud.

DD uses hers on the hour long ride to my parents house. I would rather her do that rather than having a screaming contest with DS. If she is occupied, then I am a better driver. Lets face it, I live in Nebraska, there isn't much to see on an hour long car ride. Plus, all of the apps on the itouch are educational. Like Jodi pointed out, we could easily drop $100 on DD's LeapFrog Tag, and she is going to learn a lot more from apps available on the touch, then she is going to get out of the Tag.

I wouldn't think twice about seeing a kid in public using an electronic device. I saw a boy about 8 using one at DD's preschool concert the other night. We were waiting for it to start, and he was playing some game. As soon as it started, it was put away, and he sat quietly.

• imagecjcouple:
    imageCleoKitty:

How is a quiet toy, book or stuffed animal any different than a small, quiet electronic toy? Regardless of whether my kid is reading a book or doing a crossword puzzle on his iPod he's still not paying attention or participating.

FWIW, I personally would avoid any of the above in a church for fear of seeming disrespectful, but then again, I also avoid church in general. Problem solved. Embarrassed

MOTY here!  I have TWO old iphones (one for each kid), a Leapster 2, an iXL, and a Leappad coming from their paternal grandparents.  When you are a single parent with two kids that fight over everything, you NEED them to disengage sometimes!  There is only so much of me to go around too.  As soon as we come home after work/school all I hear is this on repeat: 'I want a drink.  I'm hungry, I'm hungry too!!!, Can you get me a snack?, Can I eat something? HEYYYY She has MY toy.  She pushed me, she took my toy out of my hands, etc., etc., etc.'.  I admittedly use those handheld devices AND TV!!!! to entertain them while I am making dinner or doing other chores around the house.  Lately they have been coloring while watching a DVR'ed holiday show and to have them be entertained and not arguing, and for my blood pressure to remain low makes it all worth it. 

And speaking of car time - while my marriage was crumbling and we lived 500 miles away from my home state, I drove the kids back and forth each month.  They logged 100 hours in the car last summer with just me and our dog going from NC to PA and back.  I LOVE the handheld electronic devices!   Judge away!

DD1 01.19.07
    DD2 11.17.08

• imagecjcouple:
    imageJodi&Joe:

"Really I am ok with you judging me for NOT allowing my kids to be disrespectful"

Yea, because THAT is what this is about!  I don't allow my children to be disrespectful either.  And no one is judging you for that.  I'm judging you because you think your way is better than mine.  You think you are better because your article of distraction is not electronic!  Welcome to 2011 and get over yourself!  Seriously!

Seriously, why are you getting so mad? I never said your kids were even acting like the ones I see.  You assumed I was talking about them.

ETA: Oh and Jodi - I do think you are a great mom, I just said that to you a couple days ago in a post - remember? 

I'm with Cleo.  I can't even remember one time that I've encountered a kid being disrespectful/ignoring me b/c of an electronic device. And you ARE talking about my kids - because they DO use electronic devices in the situations you described.  It just seems you equate that to mean the extreme.  Like you can't have a balance with these things - which is SO not my experience with them.

Either way, I'm just cranky.  (See my This isn't good post).  Sorry! 

• What I got out of this post?

1. I should have read it earlier.

2. Jodi is saucy today! and I like it.

3. CJ will eat her words when she can finally read a magazine in peace while waiting for the doctor when she gets her kid an itouch. Or talk to another adult at dinner while waiting an hour for the food to come out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"