Baby Showers

When is it acceptable to give a gift during a pregnancy?

A friend of ours is coming back to town after moving away and he and his wife are expecting.  I believe she is about 4 months along and some of my friends and I want to get shower-y gifts for them since we probably won't be seeing them again for who knows how long...

When we suggested this to another friend she said that it is superstitious to get baby gifts so early and was appalled at the idea.

Is she correct?!  I am not a parent nor do any of my friends have babies yet.  I would love to give her the very nice gift in person (that I already bought), but I do not want to offend anyone!

Should I give the gift when we see them next week or should I mail it later in her pregnancy?

Thanks ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Check out my Pinterest

Re: When is it acceptable to give a gift during a pregnancy?

• I think that it is wonderful that you want to do something for them. Personally I feel that 4 months is too early for real baby gifts, however I may be more hesitant due to my own situation of being a high risk pregnancy. I really feel that you should wait until closer to at least 6 months along, as at that point the pregnancy would be considered viable i.e. the baby would at least have a chance of survival if complications arise and they are delivered early. 

I think if you and your friends wanted to get something for the new parents to be such as a book about pregnancy, gift certificates to a massage or dinner, or just something to help them relax or spend some me or couple time together that would be a great way to show them that you are thinking of them and wanted to do something for them. You can always have something sent from online for the new baby when she is further along.

imageBabyName Ticker
  • I don't see anything wrong with it.  We received some gifts around that same time.  I wouldn't do a gift for someone prior to three months, but at four I probably would if I knew I wasn't going to see them again anytime soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • There is nothing wrong with buying a gift unless they have openly spoken about there being problems with the pregnancy.

If she should lose the baby, your gift won't make it worse. Nothing will make it worse. Gifts will be the last things on their mind.

I would much rather give and receive a gift in person. 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Personally I think anytime is good for baby presents.  If that is when they will be in town...then that is a good time:)  Enjoy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Gifts are always acceptable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageappleorchard2:
    Gifts are always acceptable.

This.

I know that you're just trying to be socially correct, but seriously, I think it's a ridiculous idea to ask if it's OK to give someone a gift!  (I'm not knocking you for trying, hun, please don't get me wrong.) 
    Let's go back to common sense.  You give someone a gift because you want to, not because it's required on an occasion or at a certain time.

I say GOOD FOR YOU for wanting to give your friend a gift, because you're excited about the impending arrival of her new baby! 

• Unless her pregnancy is high risk- I think you're being very sweet.  :)    If something's going to happen, it's going to happen- superstition aside.  One of my co-workers gave me a gift like right after I told her I was pregnant (so like 11ish weeks)

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think it's understandable to want to give it to her in person.

Superstition is a little ridiculous IMO.  I really don't think I would be offended if a friend gave me a gift for LO early and I would understand someone wanting to see my reaction.

BFP 1 | EDD 4.1.11 | MMC D&C 10.27.10 | 14 weeks
    BFP 2 | EDD 9.29.11 | MC 1.25.11 | 6 weeks
    BFP 3 | EDD 3.4.12 | MC 9.5.11 | 10 weeks
    BFP 4 | Twins EDD 6.7.12 | MC James 10.31.11 Kellen 1.12.12 | 8 weeks/19 weeks

BFP 5 | EDD 12.24.12 | Rainbow Baby in the Making!
    **Formerly known as Nikki04vb**
    ? PGAL/PAL Welcome ?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"