Baby Names
Options

Flame my name away...

let me start off by saying that we've had a boys name forever which is henry lloyd after dh's grandfather and my father's middle name. we disliked every girls name or just felt okay about the ones we kept bringing up. the girl's mn has always been decided on, mae, which is my mn and my aunts and my grandmothers mn.

okay, now for the first name. i was reading an article "what kids who grew up in the 90's" will have to explain to their children". i said the name outloud and both dh and i looked at each other and were "that's it"! we have to decided to name the baby topanga mae. i am not kidding. 

sorry, i'm on my bb and it wont allow me to capitalize letters.  

Re: Flame my name away...

• Options

I don't hate it. :)

I've never heard it outside of Boy Meets World, so I have an automatic association with it. And for some reason Tapioca pudding which I am now craving...

Will anyone our kids age even know? Probably not most.

I can't think of any hideous nicknames associated with it either. 

BabyFruit Ticker *****Mommy's Meatball*****
  • Options
    Yikes. She is going to have people 20 years older than her commenting Boy Meets World for the rest of her life. I don't think she'll appreciate that. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't use it bc I'd always think of the chick on Boy Meets World. Also, it's just not really my style

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I love love love Boy Meets World.  I think it's a beautiful name and I'm not gonna lie... I definitely wanted to use this name when I was younger and watched the show.  No worries though.. DH would never be on board lol
  • Options
    I think of B.M.W. and the San Fernando Valley. The B.M.W. association does not bother me but The Valley association does. Of course, this is a purely regional association.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I LOVED Boy Meets World :) I read that article, too, so I knew exactly where you were going with this...

Topanga is NMS, but I don't think it's the worst thing you can do. It reminds me of Tallulah a little bit.

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options

It made me think of Topanga Canyon in California, then Boy Meets World, (the canyon is probably the explanation for the character's name on the show)

Considering the history of Topanga Canyon, it's a pretty crunchy hippie name, which isn't bad exactly but I wouldn't use it.

I don't hate it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Very different. But dont hate it. MN sounds good with it. I think of Boy Meets World but who doesn't.

BabyName Ticker
  • Options

I'm not really familiar with Topanga or the show.  The flow is fine, it's just nms.

I love Henry Lloyd, though.  We originally wanted to use Lloyd as the mn for DS2, but DH changed his mind mid way through the pregnancy.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Dont like it at all.

Even though it was the name of a character on a show (where the inspiration probably came from the canyon) its in the Dallas, Denver, Austin, Dakota, etc. group for me. Its mostly a place. Not a name. Sounds like a completely made up word a 3 year old would come up with.

It was weird on B.M.W and is still weird now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It's definitely NMS, but I don't hate it. I don't think people making Boy Meets World references are going to be that big of a deal either.

I don't think Topanga and Henry would make a cute sibset though. Just something to consider if you want to use one or the other in the future.

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    The name means "where the mountain meets the sea' in an indian language. Its odd but it is a legit name. I like 'weird' names but that is too out there for me.

And I wouldnt be able to get past the Boy Meets World association. However I wanted to name a baby Toganga when I was a youngin' because of that show. I actually picked the name Gabriel for my first son when I was very young because of the show, and I still loved it when I was pregnant.

ETA: The youngest Matthew's child was named Joshua Gabriel, and they explained why the chose the name and my like 10 year old self loved it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageKikiCohen:
    I love love love Boy Meets World.  I think it's a beautiful name and I'm not gonna lie... I definitely wanted to use this name when I was younger and watched the show.  No worries though.. DH would never be on board lol

P.S. I just googled that article and read it to DH.  We were both literally laughing so hard, we were crying.  Even though we're both technically children of the 80's, all of it definitely applies. 

• Options

I love Henry!  So cute.  I love that Lloyd is a family name, which is my favorite kind of middle name! 

But honestly, Topanga is horrible.  The fact that you had to say "I am not kidding" after telling us your choice tells me that you realize it might be horrible too.  It is not a pretty sounding name at all, in my opinion.  I don't usually speak so harshly on here but 1) you did say "flame my name away" and 2) it really is a terrible choice.  Keep looking.  Mae is lovely, and I think you'll find an equally lovely first name to go with it.   

• Options
    Your poor daughter.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options
    i instantly think "boy meets world" used to love that show. have never meet a topanga though. i am still in the boat you were in we have a boy name but we are at lose for a girl name, hope we find one that just clicks like you did
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageHarper'smom:
    I think of B.M.W. and the San Fernando Valley. The B.M.W. association does not bother me but The Valley association does. Of course, this is a purely regional association.

This. Topanga Canyon.

I don't think the name is too horrible though, & Mae flows nicely with it.

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • Options
    really, my first thought was, naming you child is not a joke. (I am not trying to be mean). When my older sister was in High school, a friend of hers named a baby Ringo...........she was so sure that was the name. After the boy got a little older she would introduce him an d follow it with, "what was I thinking?"  He goes by Ring now and I think they legally changed it . ............Topanga has the same feel to me. Good luck
  • Options
    Fortunately you have two whole trimesters to come to your senses.
  • Options
    I think it is cute Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagebrooklynesque:
    Fortunately you have two whole trimesters to come to your senses.

Haha.  This is kind of what I was thinking, but not in a mean way.  When I was pg, I thought for sure we would name our DD Reese.  It was the only name that felt right.....for a while.  As time passed, I started having second thoughts, and it didn't feel so "right" afterall.  Keep an open mind because there's still a lot of time and a lot of names out there.  While I still like the name Reese, it wasn't right for our DD once she was born.  We ended up naming her Renee and I'm really glad we chose it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

It may remind a lot of people of B.M.W. but for all the kids in her age group they will have no idea who Topanga is.

Topanga was to the 90's what Tatum is to the 21st century. Don't be afraid to use it because of ONE character on an old tv show. It's a good name!

• Options
    imageCarolynDouglas2012:

It may remind a lot of people of B.M.W. but for all the kids in her age group they will have no idea who Topanga is.

Topanga was to the 90's what Tatum is to the 21st century. Don't be afraid to use it because of ONE character on an old tv show. It's a good name!

I agree with all of this! Great name and she was an empowering female character. I love Topanga.  

• Options
    funny... the real Topanga works in my building.  Anyway, I love Topanga Canyon.  I hike there a lot.  I suppose the character was named after the beautiful canyon here in Los Angeles.  I wouldn't give you the side eye but I bet a lot of others would especially if you don't live in LA. 
  • Options
    imageburberry08:

Very different. But dont hate it. MN sounds good with it. I think of Boy Meets World but who doesn't.

Ditto.

kissing

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP: 10/26/11 EDD: 6/28/12

• Options

Honestly, the need to clarify that you aren't kidding is not a good sign.

Sorry, I really dislike this name.  It's awkward, the sounds are not attractive, and it doesn't even have a cute redeeming nickname.

I was a huge Boy Meets World fan.  In the show it was presented as an off-the-wall name that demonstrated how weird Topanga's parents were.

• Options
    image526SadieSadie:

It made me think of Topanga Canyon in California, then Boy Meets World, (the canyon is probably the explanation for the character's name on the show)

Considering the history of Topanga Canyon, it's a pretty crunchy hippie name, which isn't bad exactly but I wouldn't use it.

I don't hate it.

same

• Options
    It's a real name and not over used. I like it!!! Wink
  • Options

I loved the show, and the character but as a pp stated it was an off the wall name to show how crazy her parents were.  Remember the early episodes?  She was a crazy liberal, hippie feminist?

OMG, I just realize that I am her.  DH and I met in high school where I was much like that and then we got married in college, just like them.  Weird.  And weird that I didn't really connect it until now.

Anyway, I think it's pretty awful.  You'll probably come around.  I originally loved the name Shenandoah (a local place name- but also a real name) for a girl and now I'd only use as a middle name, and probably not even then.  Maybe try looking at names not on a 90s sitcom list and you'll find something else you're looking for.  And try nymbler.com- I punched in Topanga, Henry and Lloyd and got a lot of nice options.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagePuppylove*85:

Sorry, I really dislike this name.  It's awkward, the sounds are not attractive, and it doesn't even have a cute redeeming nickname.

I was a huge Boy Meets World fan.  In the show it was presented as an off-the-wall name that demonstrated how weird Topanga's parents were.

I completely agree. I loved the show and her character, but it would be so odd to meet a person IRL with this name.

That being said, DD's two fish are named Corey and Topanga :) 

• Options
    i was born in the 80s. i live in michigan. i did not watch the show. my name is jenna named after a character on dallas and at the time it was very uncommon and that was the only reference anyone had with it. growing up it it never was noticed or apparent to other children and is now fairly popular. i said "i'm not kidding" because my mother got the same "you're kidding right" with jenna. 
  • Options

Eh.  I like different names, but I'm not a fan of this one. 

It doesn't feel feminine to me.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    oh also, when dh tells his friends the name is henry lloyd they think its hillarious because "those were the two guys on dumb and dumber" it was actually harry but its all about reference. 
  • Options
    imageDawnLilly:
    i was born in the 80s. i live in michigan. i did not watch the show. my name is jenna named after a character on dallas and at the time it was very uncommon and that was the only reference anyone had with it. growing up it it never was noticed or apparent to other children and is now fairly popular. i said "i'm not kidding" because my mother got the same "you're kidding right" with jenna. 
    There is a far difference between Jenna and Topanga........you can name your baby anything you want to........but that was not a good analogy.
  • Options
    Topanga Mae sounds nice together. Using a VERY uncommon name takes a lot of strength. There is nothing wrong with Topanga and it's easy to spell, say and remember. Remember: If everyone liked it, it would be in the top 20. I'm excited for you and like the name.

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Options
    I like the MM, FN is NMS, but Im happy you found the perfect name for your LO
  • Options

Topanga is far from my usual style, but in the five minutes it took me to read this thread and ponder on it a bit, it's grown on me.  If the name hit both you and your husband at the same time, and you both love it, I'm sure your daughter will rock it.  If you forget about BMW, it's a name with a pretty sound and a lovely meaning. 

Don't let one TV show character that hardly anyone her age will have ever heard of  impact your choice. 

• Options
    I like it.  Funny article too!
  • Options

My name is Juliet and have been hearing about "Romeo and Juliet" and been asked 'Where's Romeo' my entire life. Starting before kindergarden. It definitely got annoying, but it was/is okay because it is a beautiful and classic name, and they were referring to Shakespeare. A reference to Boy Meets World, is another story. It's just setting her up for some humiliation down the road. People will think she is joking about her name all the time, and she will hate it.

I just can't think it's okay. My whole family would joke about how Topanga was an awful name when we watched that show... I never even thought it was considered an actual name.

• Options
    imagePuppylove*85:

Exactly!!! Weird, not cool. Her parents were very weird!! haha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"