2nd Trimester

What are your parenting pet peeves? (uh oh, controversy)

I think this will be an interesting topic since we have both FTMs and experienced mommas on this board.

So, what things do you see other parents do that just irk your nerves?

For me, its when I see parents telling their children that they can't have something because they can't afford it. Your 2 year old does not need an explanation as to why you are telling them no....and they don't need to feel guilty because they wanted a candy bar. A simple "no" works just fine. 

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers

"A woman really doesn't need to be rescued. Its not the place for the knight in shining armor. Its the place for her to face her darkest moment and lay claim to her victory." -TBOBB

You know you wanna vote for Eden....

http://tinyurl.com/VOTE-FOR-EDEN

Re: What are your parenting pet peeves? (uh oh, controversy)

• NO DISCIPLINE. It drives me crazy. Yes, I am against child abuse and beating. But when your 5 year old daughter is throwing a temper tantrum on the floor of the grocery store because you won't buy the cereal she wants, I think that deserves a swat on the behind. I hate it when parents ignore it and just let the child act like a brat, especially when they do it with EVERYTHING!   grrr!

ok, angry rant over. :-)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Parents that just flat out dont watch their kids in public places!

C'mon people!!! Round up your kids and keep them with you when you are out!  

• condescending second-time moms
  • I would have to say no discipline. I hate how some parents let their kids say nasty awful things to them and they don't correct it, or if the kids are horrible to other people they ignore it. Also the ignored tantrums in the stores.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP: 12/26/12 EDD: 9/5/13 Evelyn born 39wks 8/29/13

• SIL & BIL smoke non-stop around the kids and let them eat garbage. I swear, these kids fill up on candy and Mt. Dew and I don't ever think I've seen them eat a vegetable! It drives DH & I NUTSO!!!

Also, people that put their kids on leashes. Ugh, don't get me started!

• I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this one.....

It drives me crazy to see little ones (some 18 months and up) still running around with pacifiers....I think it's weird that they suck on them, pull them out of their mouth to talk and put them back in...it's just goofy and it can spread germs to other little ones who find them lying around and pick them up (no i'm not a germ-aphobe either).

Just my thoughts for the day. :)

Oh and FYI my little one was done with his paci (quite fine with it I might ad) by 9 months. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate when parents melt down in front of their kids in public. I hate to see parents hitting /screaming crazily at their children. Remove the kid from the situation, and then discipline properly. Be the adult! I don't know how making more of a scene ever helps anyone.  

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

• on the subject of shopping.. cant stand it when a kid thinks he/she is going to get something everytime you go somewhere.. "mommy, mommy, mommy, can i have this? mommy, can i have that? mommy, mommy, mommy????"

this is me, "SHUT UP!!!!!" haha makes me wanna pull my hair out.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I totally agree with the discipline/yelling at their kids in public.

My mom had this certain look that she'd shoot me, and I stfu really fast whenever I saw it. 

"A woman really doesn't need to be rescued. Its not the place for the knight in shining armor. Its the place for her to face her darkest moment and lay claim to her victory." -TBOBB

• image JennyJensing:

Also, people that put their kids on leashes 

DO you mean the backpack leash?  I used to think that but on the boards last time there was a woman that said that if she didn't put her child in one their elbow would dislocate if they fell while holding someone's hand, or they pulled to go in a different direction or to run or what have you.  I never really thought about the fact there is a good reason for them, it really changed my opinion of them. 

• When parents say their kids will only eat certain foods and end up making the kid the same thing meal after meal when the rest of the family is eating something else. If kids are hungry, they will eat what's in front of them.
  • image TwilightMV:

I hate when parents melt down in front of their kids in public. I hate to see parents hitting /screaming crazily at their children. Remove the kid from the situation, and then discipline properly. Be the adult! I don't know how making more of a scene ever helps anyone.  

This!!!!! And my other SIL has a few friends that are from my DH's small hometown that are VERY gossipy and she will talk mad $hit about people right in front of her kids. Ok, so just because you are a biitch, doesn't mean you need to teach your kids how to be one.

• Totally agree with yelling at kids in public, I just feel so bad for the little ones being screamed at. I can only imagine how those parents speak to their kids in private! I know my two year isn't an angel and when he acts up in a store, we leave. I put back my items and we leave the store. He knows I mean business when I say we're leaving and he tends to be much better the next few times we're out. 
    a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thebump.com/? Pregnancy Ticker
  • image noycela:
    When parents say their kids will only eat certain foods and end up making the kid the same thing meal after meal when the rest of the family is eating something else. If kids are hungry, they will eat what's in front of them.

oh i know! when you say that in front of them, you are only reinforcing the food habbit and makes it harder to get them to try other things.

• image HannahO28:
    condescending second-time moms
    I am only quoting this because I pretty much have to sit on my hands for most of them in this thread. So I don't come off as a condescending non-first-timer. As the saying goes...walk a mile in their shoes. lol
  • I hate the parents that are trying to relive their childhood through their child.  If you didn't have a lot when you were little, don't drown your kids in stuff, they will not appreciate it like you want them to.  Also, if you miss being in pageants, get over it, don't dress your kids up as tartlets and prance them about.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree.

Also when their kid is throwing a tantrum in the cart and the mom says, "Stop that right now!  You are getting a BIG SPANKING when we go home!!!"  How about telling your kid that you don't accept that behavior right now and do something about it RIGHT NOW!  Like leave your cart and have a talk in the car.  I have straight up left a full cart before when one of my girls threw a tantrum in public.  It's a behavior that needs immediate intervention otherwise it keeps going.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I guess my 3 big pet peeves are:
    1. Allowing your child to run free someplace dangerous, like a parking lot or a restaurant.  Your kids should be next to you in both situations so they don't get hurt.

2. Not disciplining your child at all.  For example, if you are counting down to consequences with your kid, you should not take over a minute to count to 3!

3. Parents who take their kids out too late.  As someone who doesn't have kids yet, I like to hit restaurants when the kiddos are in bed sometimes.  No offense, but it's nice to have a quiet, child-free meal.  I really don't expect a kid to be crying or freaking out when I'm eating at 8 or 9 pm--it's past their bedtime!  Or parents taking their kids to the store at 11 pm.  At that point, I generally just feel bad for the kid, who looks miserable.

Anyway, since I do have kids I try not to be too judge-y when I see a kid having a meltdown.  Even the best disciplined child will have their eventual freak outs.  However, when it appears to be pretty obvious that this is a frequent occurrence and that the parent doesn't seem to have the energy to deal, I tend to get twitchy.

Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• Parents who are all about "choices". Now, Johnny was that good choice to throw that rock at Jimmy and cause him to need 10 stitches? 

Or the ones like my Sis and BIL who thinks its the rest of the family's job to watch their kids so they can play on their computers or smartphones. 

Self-righteous parents who think I've raised my daughter badly because I'm a single mom. Yeah, that's why my kid is in the National Honor Society while yours is out behind the dumpsters doing whip-its.   

• image FyreFlyeRush:

Parents who are all about "choices". Now, Johnny was that good choice to throw that rock at Jimmy and cause him to need 10 stitches? 

Or the ones like my Sis and BIL who thinks its the rest of the family's job to watch their kids so they can play on their computers or smartphones. 

Self-righteous parents who think I've raised my daughter badly because I'm a single mom. Yeah, that's why my kid is in the National Honor Society while yours is out behind the dumpsters doing whip-its.   

I adore you. 

• I have several. The first being that acquaintances of ours who have had children in the last year or so think they are suddenly parenting geniuses and that I need to know everything they think is right or wrong. Ugh!

*Kids that hit. My child will NOT be taught that hitting is ever okay, entertaining, cute, etc. My nephew is one and my BIL thinks it is hilarious and applauds him when the baby smacks people in the face. What does he think this kid is going to grow up to be?

*Seeing babies out in public without proper clothing on. I see these teeny infants without pants or socks and it drives me insane. Babies are colder than we are people!

*Parents that are scared of their child causing a scene. You better believe I won't be scared of my kid. I am more stubborn, I can scream louder and I'm not afraid to pull my child away from everyone else and straighten them out.

I tell my husband all the time we will NOT raise bratty children. I know everyone says that but honestly, that's my biggest hope as a parent.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image ACC0512:
    image HannahO28:
    condescending second-time moms
    I am only quoting this because I pretty much have to sit on my hands for most of them in this thread. So I don't come off as a condescending non-first-timer. As the saying goes...walk a mile in their shoes. lol

Yes

I get irritated when parents think that it's cute that their child is bothering someone else in a waiting room. For example, I was waiting in OB triage a while ago with my son and a toddler comes over to see DS. Normally not an issue, but this kid is literally sneezing all over DS and trying to grab his toys and his father is standing behind him trying to talk to me (while I sit there waiting to see if I'm miscarrying). The toddler finally moved on to another kid across the room, and was doing the same thing. Dude, no one else thinks your sick kid is amusing, and most of us are pregnant. Get a clue. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Living in NYC I have to say my biggest is moms with carriages on the phone/talking to their friend by their side/texting with headphones on who don't look as they're crossing the street/in a parking lot. NYC drivers are crazy and you need to put your focus on where you are pushing your baby! DH and I will ALWAYS stop no matter what, but other people are animals! Scares the crap out of me!!

Also, parents who ignore their child in a store when they are not being obnoxious, then yell at them when they finally do pay attention and it ends up being the kid having to go to the bathroom. Don't get mad at them for not pissing their pants!

image PrincessMenace:

image noycela:
    When parents say their kids will only eat certain foods and end up making the kid the same thing meal after meal when the rest of the family is eating something else. If kids are hungry, they will eat what's in front of them.

oh i know! when you say that in front of them, you are only reinforcing the food habbit and makes it harder to get them to try other things.

THIS!! My step brother refused to eat anything but chicken fingers and french fries as a child. Now at 21 I hardly see him eat anything else... despite the whole family having a different dinner with more than enough for him.

imageimage
  • image Leah&Jack:
    Constant FB updates about potty training and other kid crap pisses me off after awhile. I don't mind the occasional funny kid comment, but most of the stuff I see on my feed should be on STFUparents.com.

^ This exactly. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • People who smoke around their children (or anyone's children for that matter). 

I know a lot of others I might change my mind about once I have my own kids, but this one is never forgivable. 

imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• I hate it when toddlers say curse words.  Horrible things like the f word, and because the kid is just two or three the adults laugh and think its cute and funny.  There is nothing funny about a two year old saying the f word.
  • Parents who stick infants in front of the TV (and I'm talking, months old babies who obviously have no idea what's going on but are already learning to be glued to the thing), smoke around children/while pregnant, and feed them junk food at all hours of the day and night.
  • People that swear at or in front of their kids. There is no reason why you can't find a better word to use with your own children or in front of someone else's.

Saying your kids don't listen but then letting them do whatever they want.

Not using carseats. There is no excuse on this one.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Honestly....I learned a long time ago, not to judge. Every child, parent, and situation is different and I don't know the whole story. Being a parent is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am a pretty disciplined and well educated lady. There is no such thing as perfect parenting because there is no such thing as perfect children. We just learn as we go and do the best we can, and "when we know better, we do better."

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• image cwie828:

*Seeing babies out in public without proper clothing on. I see these teeny infants without pants or socks and it drives me insane. Babies are colder than we are people!

Actually, they aren't. You are supposed to dress them however you would be comfortable for the given temperature. So if they don't have pants, but do have a blanket over their carrier, ok. They also have more brown fat, which is much better at regulating their body temperature than our white fat.