November 2011 Moms

Little one drinking formula and breast milk?

I've given mine both!  I did it a few times at first so I could skip a breast feeding and pump to store up some milk.  He gets formula about ever 3rd feeding, and it helps soo much at night to get him to sleep a little longer and save me from being frazzled!  He has not shown any confusion on nipples and even takes a pacifier that is a little differnt shape. 

Anyone else supplementing their LO with some formula?

image image Siggy Challange: Before and After 2 Days old Image and video hosting by TinyPic Almost 9 Months Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Little one drinking formula and breast milk?

• i am. every other feeding DS gets formula. I have a supply issue so I can't BF as often, which is fine with me! He's healthy and gaining weight at a normal rate.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• yes! my LO came 3 weeks early and my milk didnt' come in til my real due date but by then I still didn't have a good supply. She is super healthy and growing  perfectly. She is actually doing better on formula than BM. I have pumped and found that she is happier when formula only in system. Makes it hard to know what to do...she is happier on formula but breast milk is so good for her. I have tried mixing today and she is back to being cranky and gassy. What to do?
  • I am! With DS I breastfed and pumped for 4 months, and when I stopped, his feezer stash lasted him a little longer.

This time around I wasnt going to stress myself out again, and had already decided to supplement from the start. Turns out little miss was a month early and we had to supplement anyways for several reasons. She responds better to the similac sensitive than to my breastmilk...because of this and a few other reasons, I have stopped pumping and breastfeeding altogether around 6 weeks. She still has a nice freezer stash, so she will continue to get a few breastmilk bottles a day at daycare until it's all gone. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • image CandiceNT:

I am! With DS I breastfed and pumped for 4 months, and when I stopped, his feezer stash lasted him a little longer.

This time around I wasnt going to stress myself out again, and had already decided to supplement from the start. Turns out little miss was a month early and we had to supplement anyways for several reasons. She responds better to the similac sensitive than to my breastmilk...because of this and a few other reasons, I have stopped pumping and breastfeeding altogether around 6 weeks. She still has a nice freezer stash, so she will continue to get a few breastmilk bottles a day at daycare until it's all gone. 

I am thinking about switching to formula from EPing. My LO has taken some formula bottles in the beginning and did fine with it. EPing is so exhausting for me, which I know is selfish, but anyway - my questions is how did you stop pumping? I've tried to spread out my pumping sessions to hopefully slow down my supply but it doesn't work. I leak all over the place. I know it is a transition but I don't really know where to start. Any advice? 

• image brianandkelsey:
    image CandiceNT:

I am! With DS I breastfed and pumped for 4 months, and when I stopped, his feezer stash lasted him a little longer.

I am thinking about switching to formula from EPing. My LO has taken some formula bottles in the beginning and did fine with it. EPing is so exhausting for me, which I know is selfish, but anyway - my questions is how did you stop pumping? I've tried to spread out my pumping sessions to hopefully slow down my supply but it doesn't work. I leak all over the place. I know it is a transition but I don't really know where to start. Any advice? 

I started by skipping pumping sessions here and there. The first full day I went without pumping my boobs were killing me. I actually pumped for a few min just to relieve some pressure. My boobs are still sensitive (like when I lay down on them), but I am not leaking. I would just stock up on some breast pads for leaking and some ice packs to help with the engorgement. From what I understand, it just takes awhile for your body to stop producing and for everything to reabsorb into your system. I am sure if I pumped I would still get a little out, but it's not leaky or super painful anymore, so I can deal.

With DS, it was easier because my supply dropped pretty quickly that I didn't really even get engorged. The day I pumped 1/2-1 oz, I called it quits. Wasnt worth my sanity. Wink

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • He's gotten a few here or there. I figure as long as he is getting mostly BM he is fine. It's given me a chance to pump a few bottles for when I can't be home also.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes and I am starting to lose my supply. I'm really sick right now and I think it's taking a toll. But yes, supplementing was the only way I could ever get any sleep and I don't regret it at all because it gives me more energy to take care of LO all day. I'll just do formula by end of next month because I can't pump at work and am returning jan 4.
  • When we left the hospital we were sent home with some formula to supplement, even though we were going to try to EBF.  She wasn't getting enough.  Today we went back to the doctor for our 2nd weight check and LO is still not gaining all of the weight she should be.  In fact, she lost 1/2 an ounce from Monday's visit.  We were told to do 10-15 minutes on each side and and then give her .05 of an ounce to 1 full ounce of formula to supplement.  I'm okay with it.  She seems happier and hopefully she'll sleep better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary