Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

no heart beat, told i would miscarry, then maybe not. Help!

Hello ladies,

I am sorry for all your losses. I know how you feel, I went in for my first ob apt a week ago and was told there was no heart beat. I bawled. The doc wanted to be sure she was reading the ultrasound correctly so she sent me down to radiology and they could not find a heart beat either. So we went to schedule a D&C. I went in for the apt this past monday and the doc said he wouldnt do a D&C because the yolk sac wasnt collapsed and my cervix was still closed and hard. I have been having cramps (like period cramps for 3.5 wks) and one day of spotting, hence the ultrasound during the first ob apt. He saw some blood above the baby but said that could be from a vanishing twin thing but we never saw another baby since the ultrasounds were performed 3 wks after my cramps started. the cramps have gone down in their intensity since monday. I guess my question is, has anyone gone through anything like this? This has been quite the emotional roller coaster having been told I was carrying a non-viable pregnancy twice then have been given some hope. I am so confused and there isnt much on "collapsed yolk sacs" on the internet. please any advice would be great.

Re: no heart beat, told i would miscarry, then maybe not. Help!

• How far along are you? Was the baby measuring at an appropriate age? It definitely doesn't sound good but miracles happen every day. 
    We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am sorry that you have been through all of this.  I don't have any advice for you, but I did want to offer sympathy for your struggle.  If I were you, I would call my OB and harass them until you got some answers.  Best of luck to you.

• Well Im not sure. first us was measuring 6 wks 2 days, second 5 wks 5 days, third was 6 wks 3 days. I am not sure what to think. The third us he didnt check for a heart beat just looked at the yolk sac and said there could be a living baby still. Im only 21 and this could be my second miscarriage, first would have only been a chemical pregnancy.
  • Have you had any blood work done or just ultrasounds?  Often times, quantitative betas can give them another piece of the puzzle to try figure out what is going on.  (The blood work has to be taken at least twice to see what the numbers are doing over time.)

Being completely honest, if you were measuring 6 weeks last week and still measuring 6 weeks this week, that doesn't sound good.  But you definitely don't want to perform a D&C too early if there is any chance at all of a positive outcome.  

I'd definitely try to get more answers from your OB and I am so sorry you are in such limbo.

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • image skye83:
    How far along are you? Was the baby measuring at an appropriate age? It definitely doesn't sound good but miracles happen every day. 

All of this. I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult and emotional time without any real answers. GL.

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• Thanks ladies,

I have had my blood work done to see if my hormones were doing good and at 5wks(how the baby measured) I had a hcg level of 1300 and then only went up to 1400 in 48 hrs. Thats when my first doc made the apt. for the d&c. I go back in on the 1st Dec to re-measure the baby. Ill let you all know how it goes.

• Hi, I was browsing the boards and I saw your post and had to reply... I went through something similar earlier in my pregnancy and my doctor told me the same thing at 5w6d that we could not see a heartbeat and I would probably miscarry. A few days later I bled somewhat heavily and I was so fearful I was going to miscarry - my doctor was no help. She basically told me there was no hope and I should just prepare myself for the worst. I was devastated, but I still I put myself on bedrest and refused to go to the hospital for the D&C since I had read that it was a bit early to see a heartbeat. Some people do not see heartbeats until much later and I was told to switch doctor's immediately. PLEASE do not accept the D&C unless you are 100% sure the baby has stopped growing. A week later we went back and saw the heart beating....everything was okay. Stay strong I know it's so difficult and scary. If you have any questions feel free to message me
    Liam Alexander - Born: March 10th, 2012
    Baby #2 - EDD: January 12th, 2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image karencz:

image skye83:
    How far along are you? Was the baby measuring at an appropriate age? It definitely doesn't sound good but miracles happen every day. 

All of this. I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult and emotional time without any real answers. GL.

I agree with this. However, I also agree with the PP who said to harass your doctor. You shouldn't have to wait for an answer. 

My Precious Miss Maggie

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sorry I havent updated, 

I just wanted to say that unfortunately we did miscarry about 2 weeks ago naturally. The doctor, although just trying to be optimistic im sure, kept us hanging for a total of 4 weeks. He is 90% sure we were pregnant with twins and lost both. We are devastated but looking to try again asap. I feel like a horrible person because my sis in law is 29 wks and i cant help but be jealous. I hate thinking that way but i just dont know why this happened, im a healthy person and dont drink, smoke or anything like that. I dont know what to do when we get pregnant again but we are not willing to wait. My husband goes tdy mid july so if we dont get pregnant now we wont for another 4 months. I was told to wait but there are studies out there saying there is no need. I dont know what to do.