3rd Trimester
Options

Wedding Ring Stuck!

Well, I never believed it truly happened. My engagement ring / wedding band are truly stuck and I had no idea it could really happen!

Through my entire pregnancy and last week I was FINE then over the weekend something happened.

I looked up all of the tricks online, holding it in ice water for ten minutes to reduce swelling (OMG PAINFUL), Windex, olive oil, everything. But my hands suddenly swelled up (39 weeks). 

A bunch of people told me I better get it off or they would cut it off if they operated for a Cesarean. 

Thankfully, I called Labor & Delivery and they said at my hospital, they can cover it with surgical tape instead!

Re: Wedding Ring Stuck!

• Options
    It can happen fast!  Keep trying, though, especially in the morning when swelling is at its lowest.  You may be able to slide them off.  But as long as it doesn't cut off circulation in your finger, you'll be okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I second trying in the morning right away and put your hand back in cold water...I know it hurts and lube it up with soap. Just be sure to block the drain so if it does come off you don't lose it down the drain. Good luck!
    Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Funny, I never believed people before. It seems like if you are able to get it on at one point, it should be able to come off.

My hands just grew physically larger, ugh! I had to keep it elevated to bring down the swelling. 

I am just SO thankful they won't resort to cutting it off.

• Options
    Hang in there! Mine has gotten stuck earlier in the pregnancy and I just tried to limit my sodium and drink more water and it ended up coming off with some soap and water once my swelling went down a bit. My rings were totally stuck when I has DS1, but luckily I didn't have them cut off, nor did I have any complications from them being stuck!
  • Options

My fingers became too swollen to remove the rings about mid way through the pregnancy.  I too tried every trick with no success :(  If you can't get them off, STOP SCREWING AROUND TRYING, that will only make the swelling worse and increase the likelihood that they'll need to be cut.

I'm being induced this evening and so far, I'm not so swollen that they have needed to be cut.  So, I'm very hopeful that I can make it through without too much more swelling. 

When it seemed inevitable that they would need to be cut off, I called the jeweler who designed and made them.  He said that if it came to it, HE could cut them off in a way that would allow him to repair them after the baby was born.  He offered to do so at no charge.  He was very understanding.  If you have a jeweler that you work with, and it gets desperate, call them.

Good luck.  I know exactly how you feel. 

• Options
    Lol my hands just swelled up this week and I thought I'd never get it off. Had to do it first thing in morning with lots of soap, I got off lucky cuz eventually it came off! Good luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Mine got stuck in the first trimester of my pregnancy...  They didn't feel to tight and I could turn my rings easily, but just couldn't get them past my knuckle to remove them.  I also tried ice, elevation, windex, KY, dish soap, using dental floss, etc...  Nothing worked and I figured I would just see what the hospital decided to do when the time came...

Lucky for me, I got the stomach flu early in November.  After losing 5 lbs. in one night, my rings just slid right off.  (It was the only upside to getting the stomach flu).  I have decided to keep them off until the baby comes so I don't have to chance getting them cut off...   

Good luck to you...  (FYI -- I don't remember taking them off for my first pregnancy. I think you will be fine unless you need a C-Section).   

• Options

My step-dad swears by dental floss. Wrap it around your finger tightly enough that you can slip the ring off. I've never done it, but I suppose it's worth a try.

• Options
    imageRNmommyof2:

My step-dad swears by dental floss. Wrap it around your finger tightly enough that you can slip the ring off. I've never done it, but I suppose it's worth a try.

This is the method a lot of doctors will use - slip one end of the floss under the ring, then start wrapping it around your finger, sliding the ring down as you go.

https://lifehacker.com/396794/remove-a-stuck-ring-with-dental-floss

• Options
    If you don't get it off, you could damage the nerves in your finger. This happened to my mother when she was pregnant with me and she did get the rings cut off (and fixed later.) She has mild nerve damage in her ring finger. I started wearing my wedding ring on a necklace when I noticed my hands swelling. I could probably still wear them just fine but I'm afraid of random swelling and would rather just be safe lol. I would have them cut off as unpleasant as that might be.
  • Options
    imageRNmommyof2:

When my best friends wedding band came in she forced it on and couldn't get it off (turns out they had made it a whole size too small on accident) but after trying all kinds of tricks, the dental floss worked for her.  

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine are stuck too.  I've tried a zillion different things and I think messing with them is only making the swelling worse.  I've only got 2 weeks left and I asked my OB today at my appt if they need to be cut off.  He said nope, they were fine as long as they weren't cutting my skin.  DH said you can demand they be taped up in the hospital if you have to have a c-section so they don't have to cut them off.

We did look into it.  On average it is about $100 per ring to get it fixed if you don't have a jeweler or warranty that will fix them.

GL hopefully they won't need to be cut off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"