Babies: 6 - 9 Months

finger foods? what types? (repost from March 2011 moms)

My LO is eight months and a few days and about a week ago we started giving him puffs, and the arrowroot cookies from gerber, and he is doing pretty well. A few scares here and there but over all pretty well. I would like to start giving him like diced fruits and veggies but i'm not sure if he is ready for it.

What types of finger foods did you give your LO? How old were they?

Re: finger foods? what types? (repost from March 2011 moms)

• My LO loves bananas. Since they just mush in his mouth, that's what I started with. Good luck.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I started this about a month ago, i don't do it daily just whenever im making something or if she keeps looking at me while i eat.

I have given banana, but was very hard for DD to pick up. She loves bread for some reason so she gets a few pieces when im eating it.(Awesome at picking up) I have cut up pear and apples extremely small (half my pinky nail) and she loves those aswell. Also puffs broken in half. Little pieces of chicken.

Everything i do is very very small i am to paranoid about choking and i don't actually do BLW which it sounds like it sortof? She has never choked, I just do these for snacks or to play with pretty much, she gets her regular puree's aswell.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can give big wedges or discs of anything, they'll pick it up and chew on it.
    Please forgive my typos! I'm not as dumb as my iphone would like you to believe :)
    The Maiden Metallurgist
    Curious about babywearing? Check out my friend Meredith's Babyweraring Guide Untitled BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO is 8.5 months and we have been giving her finger foods slowly.  The puffs are totally ok for them to eat because they literally melt in their mouth (try one).  She gets these alllll the time.  We've also given her Baby mum-mum's (they are like melting rice cakes) which she likes because she can hold on to it and chomp away.  Other than those types, she gets pasta at dinner pretty much every night- just plain pasta that we put on her tray.  She had a quarter of a bagel about a month ago and that went down fine.  Pretty much as I am eating something I will give her a try and see how she does.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine is 8 months today! She is definately going to be an eater- very different from her brother. She will literally light up when she sees a plate of food. I give her bits of everything I eat. She looooves meats, especially chicken, so I break pieces of chicken in little pieces for her. She eats the puffs and I mash up bananas for her. I still give her the gerber foods to make sure she gets her fruits, veggies, and meats that she needs, then I supplement these with table foods from my plate.

• image mocknine:
    My LO is 8.5 months and we have been giving her finger foods slowly.  The puffs are totally ok for them to eat because they literally melt in their mouth (try one).  She gets these alllll the time.  We've also given her Baby mum-mum's (they are like melting rice cakes) which she likes because she can hold on to it and chomp away.  Other than those types, she gets pasta at dinner pretty much every night- just plain pasta that we put on her tray.  She had a quarter of a bagel about a month ago and that went down fine.  Pretty much as I am eating something I will give her a try and see how she does.

this! whatever we eat,he gets little pieces of(if its not spicy or anything) with bananas we crush up cheerios into powder and roll them in that-makes it so much easier for him to grab. he loves all the Gerber snacks too.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We're doing BLW, so we've just started with finger foods. He's doing great. Our favorite foods so far are: steamed broccoli, banana, avocado (in the peel is easier to grab), chicken drumstick bone with just a little chicken on it, beef tortellini (no sauce), cantelope, mum mums.

• I do soft steamed apple chunks, mangos,pears,plum and carrots. They are in little pieces and he LOVES feeding himself. 
  • Just last night I was steaming frozen green beans planning to puree them and I chopped up a bunch and gave them to her with tiny chicken pieces and she fed herself for a good 15 minutes. Gave us a chance to eat our dinner ;)