Breastfeeding

Sleepy nursing

DD keeps falling asleep at the breast.  The ped was concerned about her not gaining so I worked really hard feeding her and she gained 9 oz this week.  But she's still so sleepy when I nurse her.  I change her diaper first, burp between sides, play with her hands, take her clothes off, etc. to keep her awake.  If I have to give her a bottle she eats it quickly and doesn't go to sleep.  It's so frustrating that breastfeeding keeps getting harder than bottle feeding!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleepy nursing

• My niece is Anna Grace!  :-)

I feed my LO when she wakes up from her nap.  So....she's already well-rested.  And BFing IS hard, but it totally gets easier.  Right around the 6 week mark, you will see.  Best of luck to you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • To keep my LO awake, I'll stroke her hair at the base of her neck...it must tickle because she starts eating again every time! Sometimes tickling her back will do it too. Undressing never worked for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • She'll get better. Just put her to the breast whenever you can. She is still so young it is normal to fall asleep when she is snuggling up to you. I wouldn't fight it too much, do what feels natural.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Change the diaper in between sides. It always wakes me sleepy head right up! Its the only way I can get him to do both sides.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Changing the diaper between sides is a good idea.  It's the second breast she's wanting to sleep through.  And I've started rubbing her head a bit.  I've also found that putting her in the football hold she seems to get the milk much more efficiently which keeps her attention better. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"