Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Applesauce???

Has anyone heard anything about dangerous levels of magnesium or mercury in applesauce (or anything else bad about it)??  I can't find anything online but I ran into someone this weekend who gave me a big lecture on not feeding DD applesauce because of this "new study."  I really don't think she is right but just wanted to check with everyone else before feeding it to DD.  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Applesauce???

• A few months ago there was a big story on Dr Oz about something being in apple juice..The story lasted a few days and faded. I know I"m not much help but if you google Dr Oz you'll find the show/article about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah Dr. Oz had a show on it.  There was a big controversy about the way he tested (not using enough labs, etc.) so a lot of people think it's not true.  Although he is still standing by it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, arsenic in apple juice. Dr. Oz got reamed for the comments and the FDA and juice companies stand by their test and standards. As it turns out, there is a naturally occuring arsenic (not the "rat poison") and it is found in lots of fruits.

Like pp said, you can google it to find out more about the test, etc.

• i feed mine applesauce. i make it myself. i do not add anything but water. I do not beleive everything that i see on tv, even coming froma doctor. I cannot stand people telling what I should and should not d with my child. Over half the stuff that I was told not to do my parents did to me and I came out just fine. I am healthny and never had any problems.
  • The study was on arsenic in apple juice.  But there is organic and inorganic arsenic and his show only tested for TOTAL arsenic levels.  It's the inorganic arsenic that it is dangerous.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Just want to add, even Dr. Oz said he wouldn't stop giving it to his own kids in moderation. He just wanted more tests done.  I wouldn't worry about it, but do your own research..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"