June 2012 Moms

Miscarriage after hearing heartbeat?

So we had our first appointment at what we thought was 9 weeks- turns out I was measuring only 7wks5 days. We had an ultrasound and saw a great heartbeat at 165! While I was concerned that it was a little high, the nurse assured us that this was totally normal.

Of course now that my husband has seen the heartbeat he is really to shout the news from the hills. I'm just a bit more cautious and still feel like I've read several horror stories about seeing a heartbeat early, and then going back at 10-12 weeks and there being no heartbeat. I did a little research and found some information saying that if you've heard a strong heartbeat your chances of miscarriage lowered to 1-3%. Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone experienced a miscarriage after hearing a heartbeat?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Miscarriage after hearing heartbeat?

• We lost one of our babies after hearing a heartbeat at 6w4d.  It happens and there isn't always an explanation even with such a low % of miscarriage.  If you want to wait a few more weeks there is nothing wrong with that and hopefully your DH understands.
    IVF #1=BFP 9/27/11 u/s revealed Twins! EDD 6/4/12
    m/c #1 11/7/11 at 10w
    m/c#2 1/24/12 at 21w1d
    IVF #2 June 2012 cancelled
    IVF#3 started stims 7/15/12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • The heartbeat is a good sign,  I have also heard this that your chances of miscarrying go way down.  Enjoy your pregnancy, tell people if you want. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker~ Diagnosed with PCOS in March 2009. Taking Metfomin for insulin resistance and irregular cycles/ovulation. Had healthy baby girl in Jan 2010 via C-Section (HTN and Breech Presentation).
    ~ Miscarry at 8 weeks with D&C in May 2011 (low progesterone).
    ~ Had a healthy baby girl in June 2012 via C-Section (on prometrium to sustain).
    ~ Surprise pregnancy at age 40!  Baby boy due April 26, 2021 (took prometrium to sustain once pregnancy was confirmed, 3rd C-Section planned).  
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm in the same boat.  I was 7 weeks (charted and only had sex one day during the fertile window) but my ultrasound tech measured me at 6 weeks.  It didn't bother me at the time.  I was too busy focusing on the heart beat.  I brought it up to the doctor and she says that I must have my dates wrong.  Well I don't.  I know when it happened.  I will feel a lot better after the next scan.  On my printout it says <3% meaning that the size is less than the three percentile for the age.  :(
    BabyFruit Ticker image miscarriage 12/2009 5 1/2 weeks probable ectopic...fingers and toes are crossed that number 2 sticks. Looking forward to June 2012!
  • Yes, my dr says your chances of m/c go down to under 5% after hearing hb.  Unfortunately I have been in that 5% - we lost our last one at 9 weeks.  We heard a good heartbeat last week so I'm remaining positive!!!  Seeing the HB is a great sign. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMore_CowBell:
    I'm in the same boat.  I was 7 weeks (charted and only had sex one day during the fertile window) but my ultrasound tech measured me at 6 weeks.  It didn't bother me at the time.  I was too busy focusing on the heart beat.  I brought it up to the doctor and she says that I must have my dates wrong.  Well I don't.  I know when it happened.  I will feel a lot better after the next scan.  On my printout it says <3% meaning that the size is less than the three percentile for the age.  :(

A friend of mine was "certain" about her dates (I mean, we hopefully remember when we BD :) but was told to remember that sperm can live in your body for 5-6 days after intercourse.  Which could explain a pregnancy that is not quite as far along. 

Hope that helps!  Congrats on a great dr. visit.

• I'm in the same boat.  Our appt is Monday and God willing we'll see a heartbeat.  DH wants to go tell everyone after that but I'm just not sure.  My dr. said after you hear the heartbeat your chances of a loss go down to under 2%.  I guess we'll just play it by ear and decide then:)  GL to you! 
    So happy for my BFPB Steff13914 and her new twins! Welcome to the world sweet babies:) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelavenderflow:
    We lost one of our babies after hearing a heartbeat at 6w4d.  It happens and there isn't always an explanation even with such a low % of miscarriage.  If you want to wait a few more weeks there is nothing wrong with that and hopefully your DH understands.

This exactly.  Our loss was after hearing a HB and I was devastated.  Unfortunately, there are no guarantees, but the percentages do start getting better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With my first we had a healthy u/s and healthy hb at 11 weeks and found out we lost our baby around 14 weeks.  My last m/c we had a perfect u/s at 7.5 weeks and lost our baby around 10 weeks.

It does happen.  That's why they tell you to wait until ~14 weeks to announce if you're worried about having to un-tell.  Odds are much lower once you've seen a heathy hb, but it happens.  Maybe just tell close family and friends for now.  Also, it's totally normal to be measuring a little off so early.  A week isn't a big deal as long as LO is growing and the HB looks good.  165 is a nice strong hb.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 1 | EDD 4.1.11 | MMC D&C 10.27.10 | 14 weeks
    BFP 2 | EDD 9.29.11 | MC 1.25.11 | 6 weeks
    BFP 3 | EDD 3.4.12 | MC 9.5.11 | 10 weeks
    BFP 4 | Twins EDD 6.7.12 | MC James 10.31.11 Kellen 1.12.12 | 8 weeks/19 weeks

BFP 5 | EDD 12.24.12 | Rainbow Baby in the Making!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    **Formerly known as Nikki04vb**
    ? PGAL/PAL Welcome ?
  • I had my first appointment yesterday and we heard the heartbeat at 8w3d. My doctor said that the chances of miscarriage are now reduced to 1%-3%. I know there are not guarantees but that statistic made me feel a whole lot better, especially after experiencing a m/c earlier this year (we didnt hear the heartbeat with that pregnancy).
    BFP #1: 11/19/08 DD born 07/23/09 ~ BFP #2 :3/15/11 Natural MC 3/30/11 - 4/13/11~ BFP #3: 10/4/11 DD #2 born 06/09/12 ~
    BFP #4: 08/07/13 EDD 4/18/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagecourtfsu:

imageMore_CowBell:
    I'm in the same boat.  I was 7 weeks (charted and only had sex one day during the fertile window) but my ultrasound tech measured me at 6 weeks.  It didn't bother me at the time.  I was too busy focusing on the heart beat.  I brought it up to the doctor and she says that I must have my dates wrong.  Well I don't.  I know when it happened.  I will feel a lot better after the next scan.  On my printout it says <3% meaning that the size is less than the three percentile for the age.  :(

A friend of mine was "certain" about her dates (I mean, we hopefully remember when we BD :) but was told to remember that sperm can live in your body for 5-6 days after intercourse.  Which could explain a pregnancy that is not quite as far along. 

Thanks for your help.  It helps to talk about it.  The other thing that dosn't add up, though, is that if I O'ed when my dr says I did, my positive HPT would have then been 7 DPO which is waaaaaay early to get a dark pink +.   ::::sigh::::

BabyFruit Ticker image miscarriage 12/2009 5 1/2 weeks probable ectopic...fingers and toes are crossed that number 2 sticks. Looking forward to June 2012!
  • There is nothing wrong with waiting. You need to do whatever makes you feel comfortable. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagelmj8284:
    I'm in the same boat.  Our appt is Monday and God willing we'll see a heartbeat.  DH wants to go tell everyone after that but I'm just not sure.  My dr. said after you hear the heartbeat your chances of a loss go down to under 2%.  I guess we'll just play it by ear and decide then:)  GL to you! 

Our nurse had a really good point about who to tell and when.  Consider telling those closest to you now.  That way, IF something were to go wrong, those people who are your immediate support group will know what's going on and will be there for you.

• I read the risk drops to 3-5% after hearing the heartbeat.  However, I have a friend that went in for an u/s at 8 wks, saw the heartbeat, and then at the 11 wk appt they learned the baby had stopped growing and the heart stopped beating only a few days after they heard it.  I'm not publicly sharing or telling DD until we hear the heartbeat again at my next appt when I will be 11 wks, 5 days.  At that point I'll probably order a doppler and make sure everything is ok for another week or 2 before publicly announcing anything.
  • imageMore_CowBell:
    imagecourtfsu:

imageMore_CowBell:

Thanks for your help.  It helps to talk about it.  The other thing that dosn't add up, though, is that if I O'ed when my dr says I did, my positive HPT would have then been 7 DPO which is waaaaaay early to get a dark pink +.   ::::sigh::::

I'm in the same boat. I was measuring a week behind at my first ultrasound. Baby had a good h/b of 135 but that means I tested pos. with a digital at 6dpo. I'm pretty sure that just doesn't happen.  I have another appt tomorrow and I'm just praying that baby is still growing. 

• imageMelissa72807:
    imageMore_CowBell:
    imagecourtfsu:

imageMore_CowBell:

I'm in the same boat. I was measuring a week behind at my first ultrasound. Baby had a good h/b of 135 but that means I tested pos. with a digital at 6dpo. I'm pretty sure that just doesn't happen.  I have another appt tomorrow and I'm just praying that baby is still growing. 

Hmm...good point ladies.  Was it a trans/v u/s or over the belly?  My guess then would be operator error or equipment error.  Have also heard that trans/v are more accurate in dating.

• I have a question - is there a difference in HEARING the heartbeat and SEEING the heartbeat?  I had a trans-v ultrasound where we SAW the heartbeat, but I measured 5w6d.  Maybe you can't HEAR the heartbeat until later, meaning the pregnancy is healthy and farther along and less chance of miscarrying.  If there is no difference in hearing and seeing the HB, then ignore my silly reasoning.
    imageimageimage
  • I had my first u/s yesterday at 10 weeks, 4 days and we saw (and heard) the hb and the doc said my risk of miscarriage went down to 5% at that point. While miscarriage can happen after seeing (or hearing) a hb, its not as common. But sadly it does happen :(

Re: measuring. Just know that it can be off - especially early on. When they measured my baby yesterday from the first angle they got 10 weeks on the dot, but on the second angle they got 10 weeks, 4 days. Just from adjusting the position of the wand to get a better look.

DC1 (2.5) | DC2 (1) | #3 due 6.1.2012
  • I have had two missed miscarriages, both after seeing the HB.  I will be telling close friends and family around 11/12 weeks, but I am not going to tell work until much later. 
  • imagecourtfsu:
    imageMelissa72807:
    imageMore_CowBell:
    imagecourtfsu:

imageMore_CowBell:

Hmm...good point ladies.  Was it a trans/v u/s or over the belly?  My guess then would be operator error or equipment error.  Have also heard that trans/v are more accurate in dating.

It was Trans V for me.  I'm hoping it was just user error.  I've read somewhere that a tilted uterus, which I have, can throw off the read.  Dunno if that's true or not.

• imagemarielovestimothy03:

I had my first u/s yesterday at 10 weeks, 4 days and we saw (and heard) the hb and the doc said my risk of miscarriage went down to 5% at that point. While miscarriage can happen after seeing (or hearing) a hb, its not as common. But sadly it does happen :(

Re: measuring. Just know that it can be off - especially early on. When they measured my baby yesterday from the first angle they got 10 weeks on the dot, but on the second angle they got 10 weeks, 4 days. Just from adjusting the position of the wand to get a better look.

Wow!  That makes me feel better!

• I read somewhere that after hearing/seeing the heartbeat the risk goes down to 10-15%, then drops to 3% at week 10....
  • imageMore_CowBell:
      On my printout it says <3% meaning that the size is less than the three percentile for the age.  :(

Mine says the same thing about othe <3% and I had no clue what that meant. What is the norm for this measurement? That's strange because our baby was measuring at 1.38cm or 13.8mm, which I have read is normal for just under 8 weeks. Now I'm totally confused!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was in that percent (see sig), I think the hb was 150 something. 

I would just focus on the nice healthy hb though, and if you want to wait until your more comfortable, it's up to you.  

• Somewhere I read that if you see the baby has a heartbeat and you haven't had any spotting, then your chance of m/c is about 4%.
    Visit The Nest!
  • It is much more unlikely once a hb is detected but it happens. We saw a hb at 6w3d and I had a m/c the following day. I was already spotting and the hb was not stellar so I wasn't surprised by it. I'd try not to worry too much because that's a strong hb.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• On my last pregnancy, I did miscarriage after seeing that I was showing 4 weeks behind what we thought, and there was a heartbeat, but it was barely there. The next week we went back in and it had gone away.

So I think you're doing great with that heartbeat! Good luck?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"