Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Flouride

So, I read some posts on TB a week or so ago, and a friend of my mine posted on FB that the CDC and American Dental Association have stopped recommending flouride drops for LOs.  Of course, my pedi prescribed them.  I talked to my dentist about it last week, and she said that she is absolutely not recommending flouride drops anymore.  She saw many many cases of hyperflouridosis when she was. 

I just thought I would throw that out there. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: Flouride

• I'd rather my kid get a mild case of hyper fluorosis than a mouth full of decay. 
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You have to look at what they are exposed to.   We drink a lot of bottled water that doesn't have flouride added to it--- we don't consume canned veggies or frozen (which have it in there), etc etc.  So we use the ACT stuff 1-2x a week.  Per our dentist.  That has made a HUGE difference in his decay.  HUGE.

• Loading the player...
  • I am a dental hygienist and see tons of cases of fluorosis, some so bad that teeth are pitting and crumbling. That being said........those are cases of OVER fluoridation (kids taking fluoride drops, drinking fluorodated water etc all together). We do not have fluoride in our water supply, I don't know personally how I feel about the vitamins with the fluoride drops. I may give LO poly vi sol on a regular and maybe once or twice a week give him the vitamin with the fluoride in it. Luckily once LO's teeth erupt I have access to fluoride varnish which is safe for younger ages. I haven't read anything in my journals about it not being recommended at all, but I have heard possibly lowering the dosage. Please do not confuse the difference between systemic (ingested) or topical (just placed on the teeth) - The issue with fluorosis is solely from systemic fluoride.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagescyriacks:
    I am a dental hygienist and see tons of cases of fluorosis, some so bad that teeth are pitting and crumbling. That being said........those are cases of OVER fluoridation (kids taking fluoride drops, drinking fluorodated water etc all together). We do not have fluoride in our water supply, I don't know personally how I feel about the vitamins with the fluoride drops. I may give LO poly vi sol on a regular and maybe once or twice a week give him the vitamin with the fluoride in it. Luckily once LO's teeth erupt I have access to fluoride varnish which is safe for younger ages. I haven't read anything in my journals about it not being recommended at all, but I have heard possibly lowering the dosage. Please do not confuse the difference between systemic (ingested) or topical (just placed on the teeth) - The issue with fluorosis is solely from systemic fluoride.
    Excellent point! And because flouride is so based on individual circumstances, I really just wanted to raise awareness an "oh yeah, I should ask the dentist about that," not impy that there is one answer for every one.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • I don't know why your dr has brescribed flouride drops. My lo is 6 months old and has 3 teeth. my dr. told us we could brush her teeth but use the toothpaste with no flouride in it. she is also formula fed and he told us as long as we use tap water to make the formula we will be fine, since there is a bit of flouride in the water.
  • imagesweetpea2802:
    I don't know why your dr has brescribed flouride drops. My lo is 6 months old and has 3 teeth. my dr. told us we could brush her teeth but use the toothpaste with no flouride in it. she is also formula fed and he told us as long as we use tap water to make the formula we will be fine, since there is a bit of flouride in the water.

Because some counties do not have flouridated water, so if you don't give them flouride drops they get zero flouride. We were also prescribed flouride drops, and I give them to him. I don't want my kid having a mouthful of decaying teeth.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I used bottled water for LO, so I do give her the drops, but not every night -- probably like 4 or 5 times a week. If and when we switch to the tap water, I'll stop with the drops.

Does a refrigerator filter filter out fluoride? Anyone know?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"