Multiples

If your bedrooms are far away from your living area ...

I am always unmotivated to put anything away in the babies' room or DS1's room -- clothes, diapers, wipes, etc - because then it is so far away from where we tend to spend all our time downstairs. I often keep boxes of diapers in the dining room, laundry baskets of clean clothes in the hallway, etc., so that it's actually nearby. Otherwise, I can only go pick out clothes or restock the changing table when the kids are all awake and either DH is here or all the kids are restrained in highchairs downstairs.

Does anyone have a routine or solution that seems to make this easier?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If your bedrooms are far away from your living area ...

• I keep the diapers and wipes on the change table. As for clothes I pick them out and bring them down in the morning with the girls or send K up to pick something out. 
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • I keep diapers and wipes in our living room in a place I can easily grab them all.day.long. I also keep extra clean outfits in the laundry room so if one is sleeping I can atleast get one dressed without going into their room.

I saw this idea on pintrest https://pinterest.com/pin/326311305/ It would make it easy at the end of the day to quickly put everything away that needs to go upstairs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We have had a changing station in the living room since day 1.   We rarely ever use our changing table in their nursery.  Since babies are now older and get into everything, we have to put their diaper stash and wipes out of reach on our mantle.  Their changing pad lives on our leather ottoman, and they think it's fun to play with it.  It works well for us.  No way will we go up and down the stairs across the house all day long to change diapers.  When company comes over, we hide the changing supplies.
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • We also have a changing table in the living room that is always stocked with diapers, wipes, Desitin, etc. There's one in their bedroom, but we hardly use it.

I plan on putting a hanging shoe or sweater organizer in the laundry room or closet and keeping a week's worth of outfits and a change of clothes for me in it. We just moved into this house and I haven't done it yet. I like the idea of having a week's worth of clothes downstairs so I don't have to dig for laundry or run upstairs every time.

• I do laundry in the evenings or weekends. I keep extra diaper & wipes boxes in the nursery and just restock as needed while my kids are in their cribs (awake). I use a PnP changer downstairs and refill whenever. I don't care if my kids get restrained for a few minutes while I run upstairs for extra diapers. For the laundry I put clean clothes in a laundry basket in my bedroom or the hallway in the evening. Then the next morning (well, more like 3 mornings later, lol) I'll put the clothes away after I wake up my kids but they're still in their cribs.
  • Our laundry room is right off of our LR and I keep diapers and wipes in there.  Clothes are in their room, I only need to get clothes out when they're awake.  If I'm putting laundry away when they're sleeping I fold what needs to be folded and put what needs to be hung on hangers and then lay everything outside their bedroom door and when they wake I take it in before even getting them out of their cribs. 
  • I keep my skip hop duo double deluxe (big diaper bag) stocked with lots of diapers and wipes - and I keep it in the play room (downstairs).  I used to have an extra changing table in there, but I got rid of it when they turned a year and diaper changes were happening less frequently - I was sick of all kinds of baby clutter in my house and ready to move on! So I work from my big diaper bag if I need to change them downstairs - and I'll change them on the ground or on the guest room bed (downstairs). 

But for the most part, my kids are fairly predictable with diaper changes.  I change them when they wake up in their room upstairs, then after breakfast I go upstairs and change their clothes and diapers again (unless we're going somewhere early in which case I change clothes when they wake up and do a quick diaper change downstairs), then change them after lunch and right before their nap in their room.  Then change them when they wake up from their nap in their room.  If they need one before dinner I do a quick one downstairs, and then before bed in their room - when they get their PJs. 

For laundry, I fold all the clothes downstairs and put them in baskets.  I always put the girls clothes away upstairs when they wake up from their afternoon nap.  I rarely need a second outfit during the day, so it's not worth it to me to keep extra laundry downstairs- just more clutter.  I hate clutter!

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We work out of our diaper bag downstairs during the day as well.  I change clothes/diapers upstairs in the morning before we come down, and we don't bother changing clothes during the day unless things get really wet or messy (plus they're at daycare during the week anyway). I do their laundry on Friday nights, but it usually sits in the dryer until Sunday night, when I fold it and sneak into their room while they're sleeping to put it away.

ETA: We keep all the extra diapers in the pantry downstairs.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"