Infertility

Embryo Storage Question - RMA NJ

We have been working with RMA NJ and have been very happy with them, despite  4 failed IUIs.  We just had our first transfer last week.  When we met with our doctor to review pursing IVF, she discussed transferring 2 embryos and the rationale why including that many individuals do not have embryo storage insurance coverage.  After our meeting, I called our insurance company and was told that embryo storage is covered.  We are fortunate to have good coverage for IF.  I have not had my first B-HCG done yet and we received a bill for embryo storage for $1000.  My husband called the financial representatives at RMA and was abruptly told that insurance does not cover this service.  Finally, the 3 person he spoke to explained it is a NJ state mandate not to cover storage.  I looked up the mandate and it says that the insurance companies are not required to cover storage but no where did I see that insurance companies are not allowed to cover the cost. This would not have necessarily changed our plans, but if this is the case, RMA should have been upfront & said despite insurance coverage, we should expect a $1000 bill.  I was caught off guard and feel that we were misled. 

I am curious if others have encountered this issue.  

Thanks.

Re: Embryo Storage Question - RMA NJ

• Stupid question here, but is the financial rep the same as the billing dept? If not, call the billing dept and ask them to run through the ins. Another problem could be that the ins may not pay out until you have something to freeze since the service of freezing has not yet been done.
    on my ivf bill, I have an itemized line for storage but I don't get charged or billed until freezing occurs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"