Baby Names

Full term and need to finalize our girls name. Opinions appreciated!

Bear with me here on this long post.  I posted a few weeks ago about some names.  Some people liked this particular name and others didn't, but wanted to get another round of thoughts since we're in the home stretch (if I haven't had baby by 11.11.11, I'll be induced that day).

Our children's names are Christian and Caroline.  We also had a daughter named Elisabeth, we called her Elle, who passed away.  So as you can see, we like classic names.  I am having trouble however finding a classic name I love the way I love these names.  I really, really like the name Livia.  I actually prefer the sound of it over Olivia.  At first I was concerned about the constant "It's like Olivia without the O."  I've come to terms with the fact that we'll/she'll be saying that, but Caroline gets called Carolyn all the time, and I think it's something that will just deal with as a minor inconvenience.

My real concern with Livia is that people will hate it or think it's awful.  Others say that shouldn't matter to me, but this isn't my name, I'm picking it for my child and I don't want her stuck with a name everyone hates.  Also, I think it has a classic feel to it, even though it's not traditional like our other names.

What do you think of the name Livia in general and how would you describe it (trendy, weird, made-up, classic, hideous, pretty, etc.)?  Do you think it fits reasonably well with our other names?

I'd appreciate honest opinions.  I'm really stressing about whether we might regret this choice down the road, even though right now it's my favorite name.  

Another random point.  Our daughter who passed away was born on August 26th, 8/26.  I'm constantly seeing references to 826 all the time, on the clock, etc.  Well, when I thought of the name Livia and wanted to make sure it wasn't a "made up" name, I found it on the SSA site as the 826th most popular girls name.  This may be sort of a stretch, but I also thought maybe it's a bit of a sign.

Thanks girls!! 

Re: Full term and need to finalize our girls name. Opinions appreciated!

• So sorry about your loss.   I think Livia is a great name.   I would use it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLIAngel:
    So sorry about your loss.   I think Livia is a great name.   I would use it.

I agree.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I like it. It's really classical in nature. I don't know if you already knew this but Livia was the name of the first emperor of Rome's wife- so it's definitely a real name, Latin, but real =] I'd use it if you're in love with it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I love all of the names you've given  your children and I do appreciate the sentiment behind Livia.

I will tell you I'm not a fan of that name, though. I just don't like the sound or look of the name very much and I do think it will constantly be mispronounced/misspelled. If you're okay with that, go for it. What about these other names as an option? You could always use Livia as a middle name.

Anna, Johanna, Louise, Ellen, Eleanor, Margaret, Susan, Catherine, Lucille, Theresa, Rebecca, Melanie, Georgia, Samantha, Amelia, Judith, Maeve

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Here's what I think about Livia:

A lot of people won't love it. They'll say it's a creative spin on Livia. They'll say they prefer Olivia. I'm sure you'll get a lot of "why didn't you just name her Olivia"?

BUT, I don't think a lot of people will actually HATE it. In no way is it Nevaeh or Jaxsin or even Aidan. A lot of people won't recognize it as a classic, some people may think you made it up but I seriously doubt it's going to be a hindrance to your daughter. 

I happen to love it and I think you should use it. 

• I have a cousin named Livia, and I think its cute.  I think there are a lot of names out there that people will constantly be screwing up, so I wouldn't worry about it.  Example, my name is Celia and people are always asking if it is Cecelia.  Its not, but it doesn't kill me to correct them. 
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Livia is beautiful and it was actually top 5 on our list.  It goes really well with your other kids names I think.  I am not overly superstitious but that 826  reference would def. pull some heartstrings for me and make me like it even more.. 

As for pronounciation  DD Scarlet is Always being called Charlotte by people when I first introduce her.. drives me batty but my point is  people will find a way to screw up lots of perfectly normal names!

• It is OK.  Have you thought of Lydia instead?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think it's beautiful. Some Olivia's are nicknamed Livy, so some people may think Livia is a nickname. But there's no harm in that.

I also think it goes nicely with your other children's names.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not at all superstitious, but I do believe in signs and I think you were given a sign. I love Livia. I think it goes well with your children's names and has a tie to your Elisabeth. I really wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks or says. Someone can find something wrong with every name.
  • It is a nice name, but I like Olivia better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image2BWED100904:

Another random point.  Our daughter who passed away was born on August 26th, 8/26.  I'm constantly seeing references to 826 all the time, on the clock, etc.  Well, when I thought of the name Livia and wanted to make sure it wasn't a "made up" name, I found it on the SSA site as the 826th most popular girls name.  This may be sort of a stretch, but I also thought maybe it's a bit of a sign.

I love this.

Honestly, I don't love Livia. But if you love it, I think you should go with it. I don't think it's the kind of name you'll regret. 

• I love Livia -- it is beautiful, feminine, and classic sounding to me.

I agree that many people will say, what, Olivia? However, as a Risa, I say "like Lisa with an R" on a daily basis. It's not a big deal.

I find the fact that it's number 826 on the list to be beautifully symbolic, especially because it was coincidental to your liking the name. This would absolutely seal the deal for me.

• My friend's daughter is named Livia. She goes by Liv. She's adorable and I think the name fits her. I say go for it!
  • I like Livia, and it does kind of feel like a sign.  But at the same time you have to C children,  I wonder if that has an impact? What about Catherine Livia? Either way, I like Livia. 
  • I would go with Livia. I find it to be a fresh take on a classic unlike others you hear like Brynlee, Maysyn, and Neveah, who will all be classmates of your daughter likely. I think it flows well with Christian, Caroline, and Elisabeth too. I think telling your Livia the special tie she has to her sister will be a sweet moment for you and will be a story she holds dear. You love it, it's beautiful AND has a special tie to your Elle. That's a win win win to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"