Baby Showers

Talking about books...

Anyone want to suggest their fave titles and/or collections?  I'm on the hunt for some.  Thanks!

Re: Talking about books...

• My favorite collection I had as a child, that my mom got as a gift while pregnant with me, was the Peter Rabbit collection by Beatrix Potter. My collection was a set of little mini books, about 4 inches tall, that came in a little case. I'm planning on buying the set for DD, too! I only hope she treasures them as much as I did.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Molly Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon and The Big Red Barn are favorites in my house.  We also love:  I Love You Through and Through, The Very Hungry Catterpillar and Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See ? (pretty much anything Eric Carle), and The Daddy Book.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • In addition to what has been mentioned, I like Guess How Much I Love You and If I Could.

DS seems to get a kick out of Where the WIld Things Are already. He likes the pictures. 

Pat the Bunny

Oh The Places You'll Go! 

• I second anything Eric Carle! L-o-v-e him! Another favorite of mine when I was a kid was Gene Zion's Harry the Dirty Dog series (Harry by the Sea, No Roses for Harry, etc...). My grandmother read those to me all the time, and I have read them a bunch of times to the little boy I used to nanny for. 

Also, Laura Numeroff's "If You Give a Mouse/Pig a..." series. There is a super cute "If You Give a Dog a Donut" that just came out (at least I think it did because I haven't seen it before). I read it at Target and loved it!

Curious George is always good, too! And, Tomie DePaola is amazing! Strega Nona, Big Anthong, etc... all are great. He illustrates his own works, too. I love the pictures. Most are religious(Christian), just fyi in case you aren't into that sort of thing. Smile 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks so much!  I'm going to email all of these to myself so I have it as a reference.
  • I went and looked around at some children's books after responding to this, and saw/remembered Corduroy. I loooved that book when I was little, and it seems as though there are additional "Adventures." Also:

The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister, anything Shel Silverstein (I actually still have my Where the Sidewalk Ends hardback on the bookshelf!), Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Judith Viorst), and one that DH had never heard of but I remember very fondly from childhood, and find myself singing the song in my head often, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (Bill Martin, Jr and John Archambault). OH and Love You Forever (Robert Munsch)! I remember that book used to make me tear up reading it, even as a small child!

I love, love, love children's books! 
    BabyName Ticker
  • I love all the books by Nancy Tillman.

https://www.nancytillman.com/main/

I can't get through, 'On the Night You Were Born' with out crying.

"On the night you were born,
    the moon shone with such wonder
    that the stars peeked in
    to see you
    and the night wind whispered,
    'Life will never be the same.'

Because there had never been
    anyone like you...
    ever in the world."

This is another good one by her, the illustrations are so nice.

• A friend from work got one for me as a gift titled "On the night that you were born", I read it and it is such a cute book, I love it and can't wait to read it to my son. 
  • In addition to the books already mentioned, I'd add the Richard Scarry  Busytown books.  I loved those as a kid.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Jan Brett books are great too! They have beautiful illustrations!
  • Amy Wilson Sanger writes board books about multicultural foods.  The illustrations are really great ans simple and there is usually a glossery on the back of the cover so you know how to pronounce the food items in the books.  These were my favorite books when I was working with infants/toddlers and now I am building my own stash of them.  Also, Urban Babies Wear Black series is great, but I dont remember who writes those
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageaec22:

I second anything Eric Carle! L-o-v-e him! Another favorite of mine when I was a kid was Gene Zion's Harry the Dirty Dog series (Harry by the Sea, No Roses for Harry, etc...). My grandmother read those to me all the time, and I have read them a bunch of times to the little boy I used to nanny for. 

I had no idea there were more Harry books other than Dirty Dog!  I have a dog named Henry that looks like Harry and when I read the book to LO I'm going to use Henry's name instead.  Some of my favorites are:

God Gave Us You

God Gave Us Heaven

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

any Bernstein Bears book

Who's Coming To Our House

several of Sandra Boyton's books

Carl the Dog books

I know there's more but I can't think of the at the moment.  I love books and I'll be reading to LO lots and lots.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"